Of Blood and Bone: Chronicles of the One,…

Of Blood and Bone: Chronicles of the One, Book 2 (edition 2018)

by Nora Roberts (Author)

Member:JLSMEG
Title:Of Blood and Bone: Chronicles of the One, Book 2
Authors:Nora Roberts (Author)
Info:St. Martin's Press (2018), 464 pages
Collections:Read in 2019, Read but unowned
Tags:Chronicles of the One, Fantasy

Of Blood and Bone: Chronicles of the One, Book 2 by Nora Roberts

In the previous book, Lana, Max, Eddie, Arlys, Fred, Chuck, Jordan, Katie and the twins, and Rachael find their way to a place in Virginia that they decide to create a town out of with the help of others as they come. They name the place New Hope. They find they still have to deal with Raiders who are against magical folk and the Purifiers who believe God is against the magical and that they must be destroyed. Then there is the military who are still making sweeps picking up magical and immunes to experiment on. But they've built something strong at New Hope and people feel protected until the night of July 4th when Max's brother Eric and his girlfriend Allegra show up and use their powers to destroy and kill. Max is killed in the attack trying to protect Lana who is pregnant. Lana, knowing that her child is important to the cause and must survive and not wanting to bring harm to New Hope, leaves that night until she meets a man named Simon who takes her in and the two fall in love as he delivers her daughter, Fallon Swift, named after the two men who will be her fathers, Max Fallon who fathered her and Simon Swift who would raise her.

Simon and Lana would go on and have three boys, Collin, Taylor, and Eddie. Taylor and Eddie would have magical abilities. Soon, though, it would be Fallon's thirteenth birthday and it would be time for her to go away to train with Mallick, the mysterious elf, who was born with that one purpose. For two years she will train will Mallick and it will be hard. He will offer her an indoor bathroom if she completes three tasks: get the apple from the owl Taibhse, get the golden collar from the wolf Faol Ban, and find the horse Laoch with the golden saddle. Each of these a seemingly impossible task, but ones that she figures out. Before the two years will have come to a close, she will have found the Book of Spells and taken the knowledge into herself and lifted the shield and sword. But she is not yet ready to lead and stays on to train a while longer until her two years are up before going home.

Once home she talks to her parents and they train the boys, but that isn't enough. She must start building her army and with the help from her dad she goes through the town and begins a training program. Soon, though, she must leave and begin training programs throughout the land on the way to New Hope in order to begin at New Hope what was started so long ago.

She has a crystal ball that she can see things in and step through and go to places via it. When she sees during her training that the New Hope rescue team, who are out to rescue magicals from a government lab, is walking into a trap she steps through and warns them and offers an alternative plan and helps them with it. It is here that she finally meets Duncan, one of the twins, whom she has been dreaming about and his twin Tonia, two people who will be important to her in the future in helping her.

This book is just as good as the first book. Though, you really don't see much of the bad side of things. You certainly don't see their viewpoint, which I'm not sure how I feel about that. On the one hand, you have the element of surprise and this book is about rooting for the good, but on the other hand, you don't understand the bad guys as well as you could. The Purify Warriors are an example of that. The characters are great and Fallon lives up to the promise of being the One as one who doesn't do things right all the time and mistakenly believes that romance should not be a part of her life. We all know her and Duncan are meant to be together. It's just a matter of time. But this isn't a romance novel. It's a fantasy novel that happens to be written by one of the most famous romance novelists of all time. It is a complete departure for Roberts and I am so enjoying it. This is a fabulous book and I give it my highest rating five out of five stars. ( )
  nicolewbrown | Feb 4, 2019 |
Fallon Swift’s thirteenth birthday brings change to her life as she comes closer to being revealed as The One. Separated from her family, her mentor Mallick teaches her of spells and the old ways of fighting, helping her to find the powers hidden within herself. But will it be enough to keep the vicious Raider gangs and fanatical Purity Warriors from destroying the towns the survivors of the Doom have so painstakingly carved out of the disaster? And what will be required of Fallon as The One?

Continuing the story began in “Year One,” both the strong sense of place and the well-developed characters pull readers into the unfolding story of survivors and dangers and magick. The horror of the Doom is past; here the characters grow and events set the stage for what is certain to come. It’s can’t-put-it-down compelling. Don’t miss this one.

Highly recommended. ( )
  jfe16 | Jan 23, 2019 |
The sequel to Year One, this novel introduces us to the child destined to be The One. We also catch up a bit on what has happened to various characters between the two books. Not a stand alone book and not the end of the story. Nora Roberts often writes in trilogies so I wasn't surprised but rather expected that I would be waiting for some time before Fallon Swift's story continues. The story itself is something of an epic fantasy with Fallon cast as the savior. She undergoes some intense training to prepare her to lead her army of humans ,elves, fairies, and shape-shifters against those who have embraced the Dark after the apocalypse of the first book. A rather muddled description but I did like the novel.
  hailelib | Jan 8, 2019 |
The second book of the Chronicles of the One series is about Fallon Swift growing into her role as The One. She goes for her two-year training by Mallick the Sorceror, meets other magical creatures, and fulfills the quests needed to give her the powers she'll need in the coming war. Meanwhile, the people of New Hope are working as a community, and their people and the friends Lana and Fallon left behind are finding mates and having children.
This is such a good fantasy series with some dystopia mixed in, less than in the first book. I learned about a new creature (an alicorn) which I love. I especially found it interesting how they dealt with nuclear missiles. Ms. Roberts provides a fascinating narrative mixing magick and the modern world with intriguing characters and a page-turning narrative. The ending came as a surprise, and now I must wait for the next book in the series. I highly recommend this series. ( )
  N.W.Moors | Jan 5, 2019 |
The second book is just as good as the first. The only negative is having to wait for the next book!

The second book begins as the One is almost of age to begin her training for what will lie ahead of her. We follow her journey as she moves from be a child to a young adult and she must choose if she wants to stand and fight the dark. Of course, this will mean at some point she will have to fight her Uncle, her father's brother, who has turned to the dark and killed her father.

I loved that the author gave me a strong heroine in Fallon to root for. Yet, she was not without her flaws and as Fallon's character developed she is willing to recognize the flaws, accept and change for the better. She was not your typical teenager but this is not the future we would ever wish for out children. It reminded me of what life would have been like in the past before the industrial revolution, minus the magic, fairies, etc. of course. When children did not have the luxury of a long childhood and working from a young age was a fact of life.

For more of my reviews, and author interviews, see my blog at www.thespineview.com ( )
  purpledog | Jan 5, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,421,619 books! | Top bar: Always visible