With Caution by J L Langley

With Caution (original 2008; edition 2008)

by J L Langley

Member:jshillingford
Title:With Caution
Authors:J L Langley
Info:Samhain Publishing (2008) Trade Paperback
Rating:*****
Tags:Paperback, M/M, Romance, Paranormal

With Caution by J.L. Langley (2008)

This werewolf romance series by Langley gets better with each offering! In "Without Reservations," we met Chay's slightly homophobic friend, Remi. He was made a werewolf by Jake, who is also his mate but hesitant to reveal the fact. But, the real reason behind Remi's attitude is heartbreaking and shocking. Physical abuse from his father was hinted at in the previous installment, but now the truth is fully revealed.

This book does stand alone, but a reader will benefit from reading the previous ones. While I really enjoyed the last one, this book has more depth and much richer character development, especially in Remi. He is flawed, loving, vulnerable and in need of someone to care for him for a change. Jake is that person, but first they both must deal with the very real danger Remi's brother Sterling is in from their abusive father, Dirk. In their efforts to find evidence against Dirk so they can take Sterling away, Jake and Remi uncover a mystery revolving around an incident when Remi was a teen. And incident so horrifying, Remi's mind completely blocked it out - except for the dream he keeps having. There is a lot of action regarding the mystery, and plenty of Langley's trademark hot sex. Langley also expands on her werewolf mythos, with new insight into alpha and omega status within the pack. This was hinted at in the first short story, "With Love." There is a lot to enjoy here in addition to the romance.

My only disappointment with this novel, and it was a small one, was the very predictable storyline with Sterling. Warning, small SPOILER:

Sterling is beaten nearly to death and is saved by being made a werewolf by his mate. This is exactly what happened to Remi in the last book in order to segue into his story! So, the next book will likely be Sterling's romance. However, this was a minor hitch and doesn't make me want to read Sterling's story any less. I just wish it had been done differently, maybe as a choice this time. Langley did throw in a great surprise concerning Sterling that should make the next book more interesting.

Overall, this was a wonderful paranormal M/M romance.Highly recommended! ( )
  jshillingford | Sep 14, 2018 |
dates from most recent re-read. love the series (pretty much all of her work). impatient for next book in this one, which i know will be a while. ( )
  crankypants16 | Sep 23, 2013 |
I read these out of order, but it had no effect on my understanding of the plot. Of the three books in this series, this was my favorite.

The only thing that bothered me was the huge personality change of Remi from book 1 to 2. While it is explained, it felt like the author decided to make a character change mid-stream. ( )
  Bea_writer | Sep 21, 2013 |
It turns out my library actually has a small selection of paperback M/M titles and this was one of them and I thought, oh, isn't this author one of the ones the M/M group raves about? So I decided to read it, despite it being the 3rd of a series (actually, it wasn't that hard to get what was going on, since each book seems to focus on a different couple) and well, it was just ok. I think the problem is that if you put aside the sex scenes (of which there were a lot, and were really boring, repetitive... I basically skipped all of them), the plot was not all that interesting.

The conflict between the main characters was resolved a little too easily, especially when one of the two was apparently very homophobic in the previous book. I also don't get why he's immediately so submissive to the other one (especially since he was abused before). The author explains this as a werewolf thing, but her werewolf mythology isn't really developed well and she seems to use it to her convenience in order to explain stuff that she can't find other explanations for. I also get the sense that she probably hasn't researched that much about actual wolves.

I ended up trying to read the previous two in the series, and found them rather cringe-inducing. I don't think this series is for me.

On a positive note, though, I did like how the two brothers cared so much about each other and looked out for each other. It was very sweet and their relationship was a lot more fun and interesting than the actual couple! ( )
1 vote serrulatae | Mar 31, 2013 |
This is by far my favorite JL Langley book. The dynamics between Jake and Remi is just perfect. The love and caring that they express for each other is just so real. I couldn't put it down the first time that I read the story and now I think I have read the book four times since I first bought it. ( )
  phaidra-jade | Aug 25, 2010 |

A brother's vow. A lover's promise. Both could put them all at deadly risk. Remington Lassiter is trying his best to stay out of trouble while he learns the ropes of being a werewolf. When his little brother turns up covered in bruises, he is driven to finally bring their abusive father to justice. To do it, he must face a past he hides behind his cocky, trouble-making attitude. A past so dark it haunts him only in dreams. Jake Romero, a crack private investigator with a bad-boy biker image, realizes he has his work cut out for him when Remi asks for his help. From the first moment he turned Remi into a werewolf in order to save his life, Jake has been fighting to keep his inner demons at bay. He's torn between the desire to tell Remi they are destined to be mates, and the need to first let Remi get used to the werewolf life. Jake will do anything to protect Remi and help him break the cycle of abuse he has endured all his life, but his investigation is about to uncover something far more sinister and deadly than they ever imagined. A past that could put all their lives at risk.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,968,545 books! | Top bar: Always visible