Arrr! Pirate Flag(Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day) Thar be a hunt for treasure, Mateys!
dismiss

Foucault’s pendulum by Umberto Eco

Foucault’s pendulum (original 1988; edition 1989)

by Umberto Eco (Author), Willam Weaver (Translator)

14,640208245 (3.86)503
Member:donutage
Title:Foucault’s pendulum
Authors:Umberto Eco (Author)
Other authors:Willam Weaver (Translator)
Info:San Diego: Harcourt Brace Jovanovich
Collections:Moorestown
Tags:fiction, novel, 20c, italian, translation, occult, conspiracy, book fiction

Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco (Author) (1988)

The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco (hankreardon, Sensei-CRS)
    The Club Dumas by Arturo Pérez-Reverte (P_S_Patrick, stephaniefeldman, Sensei-CRS)
    P_S_Patrick: These books have a fair bit in common. They are both intense and thrilling mysteries, involving the occult, conspiracies, books, murders, and are both set mainly in Europe. What The Club Dumas does, Foucalt's Pendulum does better, but that is just my opinion. I have known people give up on reading Foucalt's Pendulum because of its length, its abundance of complicated detail, and its demands on the readers concentration, but any serious reader who enjoyed the Club Dumas should enjoy this more. Anyone who enjoyed Eco's story, likewise, should enjoy the other book, but don't expect it to be quite as good, though I don't think there is a surplus of work in this genre that can compare, with this being more or less the next best thing that I have read.… (more)
    The Prague Cemetery by Umberto Eco (bookmomo)
    bookmomo: Two brilliant conspiracy stories, with heaps of secrets and scret societies, wicked or plain mad characters. Both well written.
    Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson (ateolf)
    The Illuminatus! Trilogy by Robert Shea (craigim, ateolf)
    The Flanders Panel by Arturo Pérez-Reverte (Patangel)
    Anathem by Neal Stephenson (freddlerabbit)
    freddlerabbit: See the Name of the Rose recommendation above - I find Foucault's even more analogous here because Name of the Rose is a bit more plot-driven than the other two, where Foucault's and Anathem both have as much as 40% pure theory-disguised-as-dialogue.… (more)
    Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon (billmcn)
    billmcn: The best paranoid alternate history novel ever written. Also the best novel ever written.
    The Book of God and Physics: A Novel of the Voynich Mystery by Enrique Joven (bertilak)
    Ægypt by John Crowley (LamontCranston)
    Everything Is Under Control: Conspiracies, Cults, and Cover-ups by Robert Anton Wilson (ehines)
    ehines: A good primer on a lot of the conspiracy theories that drive this book.
    The Damned by Joris-Karl Huysmans (Torikton)
    Alamut by Vladimir Bartol (ursula)
    ursula: Alamut tells the story of the assassins of the Alamut fortress reference in Foucault's Pendulum. It also has a philosophical bent that will probably appeal.
    Flicker by Theodore Roszak (ari.joki)
    ari.joki: Secret societies, conspiracies, mass media...
    Lemprière's Dictionary by Lawrence Norfolk (P_S_Patrick)
    P_S_Patrick: These two books have a fair bit in common. Both are dense, demanding, historical, and are thick with intrigue, conspiracy, and foul play. Thrilling stuff.
    The Fire by Katherine Neville (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Numerology, arcane science, secret societies and foreign languages bind these two works together.
    The Moses Legacy by Adam Palmer (Farringdon, hankreardon)
    Farringdon: Umberto Eco is essentially an up-market Dan Brown
    The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail by Michael Baigent (Moomin_Mama)
    Moomin_Mama: One is a cracking, very readable conspiracy theory. The other is an intelligent thriller which makes fun of such books, their writers and their readers. Both are great fun

English (183)  Spanish (6)  Dutch (5)  French (4)  German (2)  Swedish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Czech (1)  Italian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Hungarian (1)  Greek (1)  All languages (208)
Read Borges. ( )
  Adammmmm | Sep 10, 2019 |
Foucalt's Pendulum is as grand, rich with symbolism, and questionable synchronicities as the Plan concocted in unconscious reverie by the demiurge: a triune of editors editing the story of Stories. ( )
  pspringmeyer | Aug 29, 2019 |
3.5 ( )
  DanielSTJ | May 5, 2019 |
Foucault's Pendulum tells of a couple of smarty-pants grad students at the University of Milan who believe that occultists are a lot of stupid, easily-led, crazy people to whom they can sell a lot of stupid, easily written and published books. Much to their horror, they awaken one day to the fact that they were right. At that point, the smarty-pants graduate students realize they may never awaken again because crazy people who, once they are persuaded, become crazy people who cannot be dissuaded.

F.P. could scare the tits off any wicked witch you ever heard of. Foucault's Pendulum is a howling-good mystery woven into and around a catalog, an encyclopedia, a rats' nest woven of the sick, the demented, the arcane occult. Should I say "Abandon hope, ye who enter there"? That ain't the half of it.

I got the book from a wanna-be witch who had bought it, read about a third of it, and handed it to me with her request that I should read it and tell her what it was about. She didn't understand a word of it. Last I knew of her, she believed she was "a white witch" and she taught elementary school at some hifalutin' smarty-pants elementary school back east. I haven't spoken to her; I have no knowledge of her beyond what I just wrote; and I don't want to. She is a twisted idiot.

The book is stellar fiction from the mind of Mr. Eco, who was certainly a genius. Stupid people probably won't like it -- or maybe they will. No offense intended, folks. ( )
1 vote NathanielPoe | Mar 26, 2019 |
This was a second reading. The first was around thirty years ago, soon after it was first published, and I loved it but still found its complexity overwhelming. That's usually a good sign. This time it was so much clearer. It's darkly funny and it's profoundly disturbing. It's also a beautiful piece of writing and is surely a classic for future generations. I still have only the vaguest idea about the kaballah though; there's more fruitful readings left in it.

1 vote enitharmon | Jan 14, 2019 |
Umberto Eco has launched a novel that is even more intricate and absorbing than his international best seller The Name of the Rose. Unlike its predecessor, Foucault's Pendulum does not restrict its range of interests to monastic, medieval arcana. This time Eco's framework is vast -- capacious enough to embrace reams of ancient, abstruse writings and a host of contemporary references or allusions...
True believers, skeptics, those waffling in between: all are in for a scarifying shock of recognition.
added by Shortride | editTime, Paul Gray (Nov 6, 1989)

You may call the book an intellectual triumph, if not a fictional one. No man should know so much. It is the work not of a literary man but of one who accepts the democracy of signs. .... To see what Mr. Eco is really getting at, the reader of his fiction or pseudofiction should consult his scholarly works, where observation and interpretation are not disguised as entertainment. I don't think ''Foucault's Pendulum'' is entertainment any more than was ''The Name of the Rose.'' It will appeal to readers who have a puritanical tinge - those who think they are vaguely sinning if they are having a good time with a book. To be informed, however, is holy.

I doubt if we will see a more exhilarating novel published this year, and you don't have to take a reviewer's word for it: can 600,000 Italians be wrong?
added by qball56k | editThe Guardian, Jonathan Coe (Oct 12, 1989)

U ovom delu Eko se lucidno podsmehnuo svim teorijama zavere od srednjeg veka do danas. Posle čitanja ovog romana sigurno je da će mnogi čitaoci pohrliti da obogate svoja saznanja o alhemiji, kabali i srednjovekovnim tajnim društvima. U ovom romanu Eko se lucidno podsmehnuo svim teorijama zavere od srednjeg veka do danas.
added by Sensei-CRS | editknjigainfo.com

Pochtar, RicardoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Saarikoski, TuulaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weaver, WilliamTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Костюкович… ЕленаTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Only for you, children of doctrine and learning, have we written this work. Examine this book, ponder the meaning we have dispersed in various places and gathered again; what we have concealed in one place we have disclosed in another, that it may be understood by your wisdom.

—Heinrich Cornelius Agrippa von Nettesheim, De occulta philosophia, 3, 65
Superstition brings bad luck.

—Raymond Smullyan, 5000 B.C. 1.3.8
That was when I saw the Pendulum.
I am not for one moment denying the presence in your house of alien entities; it's the most natural thing in the world, but with a little common sense it could all be explained as a poltergeist.
ISBN 9781593972165 is an abridged audiobook edition of Foucault's Pendulum narrated by Tim Curry. It is 6 hours and 38 minutes long which is approximately only 1/3rd of the original work. This edition should not be combined with unabridged editions of Foucault's Pendulum. Thank you.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 015603297X, Paperback)

Bored with their work, three Milanese editors cook up "the Plan," a hoax that connects the medieval Knights Templar with other occult groups from ancient to modern times. This produces a map indicating the geographical point from which all the powers of the earth can be controlled—a point located in Paris, France, at Foucault’s Pendulum. But in a fateful turn the joke becomes all too real, and when occult groups, including Satanists, get wind of the Plan, they go so far as to kill one of the editors in their quest to gain control of the earth.

Orchestrating these and other diverse characters into his multilayered semiotic adventure, Eco has created a superb cerebral entertainment.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:08 -0400)

Three Milan editors, who have spent much time rewriting crackpot manuscripts on the occult, decide to have a little fun. Their plan encompasses the secrets of the solar system, Satanic initiation rites, and Brazilian voodoo. A terrific joke--until people begin to disappear.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,097,191 books! | Top bar: Always visible