dismiss

Space Odyssey: Stanley Kubrick, Arthur C.…

Space Odyssey: Stanley Kubrick, Arthur C. Clarke, and the Making of a… (original 2018; edition 2019)

by Michael Benson (Author)

"Celebrating the fiftieth anniversary of the film's release, this is the definitive story of the making of 2001: A Space Odyssey, acclaimed today as one of the greatest films ever made, including the inside account of how director Stanley Kubrick and writer Arthur C. Clarke created this cinematic masterpiece. Regarded as a masterpiece today, 2001: A Space Odyssey received mixed reviews on its 1968 release. Despite the success of Dr. Strangelove, director Stanley Kubrick wasn't yet recognized as a great filmmaker, and 2001 was radically innovative, with little dialogue and no strong central character. Although some leading critics slammed the film as incomprehensible and self-indulgent, the public lined up to see it. 2001's resounding commercial success launched the genre of big-budget science fiction spectaculars. Such directors as George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, Ridley Scott, and James Cameron have acknowledged its profound influence. Author Michael Benson explains how 2001 was made, telling the story primarily through the two people most responsible for the film, Kubrick and science fiction legend Arthur C. Clarke. Benson interviewed Clarke many times, and has also spoken at length with Kubrick's widow, Christiane; with visual effects supervisor Doug Trumbull; with Dan Richter, who played 2001's leading man-ape; and many others. A colorful nonfiction narrative packed with memorable characters and remarkable incidents, Space Odyssey provides a 360-degree view of this extraordinary work, tracking the film from Kubrick and Clarke's first meeting in New York in 1964 through its UK production from 1965-1968, during which some of the most complex sets ever made were merged with visual effects so innovative that they scarcely seem dated today. A concluding chapter examines the film's legacy as it grew into it current justifiably exalted status"--… (more)
Member:sullijo
Title:Space Odyssey: Stanley Kubrick, Arthur C. Clarke, and the Making of a Masterpiece
Authors:Michael Benson (Author)
Info:Simon & Schuster (2019), Edition: Reprint, 512 pages
Tags:@home, nonfiction, movies

Space Odyssey: Stanley Kubrick, Arthur C. Clarke, and the Making of a Masterpiece by Michael Benson (2018)

Maybe the only book to talk shit on Carl Sagan? This is, like Disney, one of those boy's clubs that I would have loved to join and of course would never have me. This is also an interesting book about "genius": I think Stanley Kubrick is probably a genius but a big part of his genius comes from surrounding himself with the right people, hiring teenagers with more enthusiasm than experience, working with unknown actors, rewarding people for their initiative but also refusing to collaborate where it means sharing credit. A lot of good ideas in 2001 weren't even his! Still he's much less of a dick than Walt Disney, seems like a nice guy most of the time. Love to read about pre-digital special effects, back when sfx were truly special. ( )
  uncleflannery | May 16, 2020 |
This is it. If you love the movie and want to read all about making it then THIS IS WHAT YOU WANT. ( )
  starlight17 | Mar 19, 2019 |
Written to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the release of Stanley Kubrick’s film ‘2001: a space odyssey’ in 1968, Michael Benson has compiled an exhaustive and revealing account of the making of the film over a period of four years, from its earliest sketches to its initial reception and first few weeks of public viewing. Benson has had wide access to many of the main contributors to the film, some such as Arthur C. Clarke who Benson interviewed, and others via the interviews conducted by other authors in their research into the history of the film and cinema generally. Benson’s highly readable book emphasises the amount of research, discussion and debate that went into the finished film. Although Kubrick could be very controlling of his vision, the book shows that he was also open to the ideas of the other participants if he thought that their work and suggestions improved on his ideas. In this way, Kubrick would also inspire others to go beyond what they had previously achieved and thus contribute to what turned out to be a groundbreaking film.
Reading the book shows the film in a new light and hopefully inspires you to see the film once again.
  camharlow2 | Feb 21, 2019 |
Stubb said it better, but I just am so stoked about this book I need to add my two cents: I saw 2001: A Space Odyssey when it came out in 1968. I was 12 years old. I fell in love with it, and have always counted it as my favorite movie. I've read many books about it but this is the best one by far - by far! It is one of the most interesting, informative, best written books I've ever read -- not just about 2001 -- period. I thought (like Stubb) I knew a lot about 2001, but this book was a revelation. I even read the "Acknowledgements" with interest. How often do you do that? ( )
  ehdorrii | Sep 23, 2018 |
When's the last time you finished a book and said, This is one of the best books I've ever read? This is one of them: one of the best books about artistic creation ever written and I'm including A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man in that list. In 450 pages, there's not a single extraneous sentence and I've never read anything that suggests Kubrick's method and character in as balanced and believable a fashion. He's always portrayed as the Obsessed Maniac or the Reclusive Genius or the Big Jerk--but here, he's an incredibly intelligent person struggling to articulate an idea. Benson is great on everything: Kubrick and Clarke's relationship, special effects, the story, the release, the impact--there's not a single aspect that Benson has overlooked. I learned so much from this--and I'm a 2001 know-it-all. If you love 2001, buy this book and begin reading it immediately. I wish Congress could compel Benson to write another one on any other of Kubrick's films. I know I'm being hyperbolic, but the book is that good. ( )
  Stubb | Aug 28, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,810,722 books! | Top bar: Always visible