Factfulness: Ten Reasons We're Wrong…

by Hans Rosling (Author)

INSTANTNEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER "One of the most important books I've ever read--an indispensable guide to thinking clearly about the world." - Bill Gates "Hans Rosling tells the story of 'the secret silent miracle of human progress' as only he can. ButFactfulness does much more than that. It also explains why progress is so often secret and silent and teaches readers how to see it clearly."--Melinda Gates "Factfulness by Hans Rosling, an outstanding international public health expert, is a hopeful book about the potential for human progress when we work off facts rather than our inherent biases." - Former U.S. President Barack Obama Factfulness: The stress-reducing habit of only carrying opinions for which you have strong supporting facts. When asked simple questions about global trends--what percentage of the world's population live in poverty; why the world's population is increasing; how many girls finish school--we systematically get the answers wrong. So wrong that a chimpanzee choosing answers at random will consistently outguess teachers, journalists, Nobel laureates, and investment bankers. InFactfulness, Professor of International Health and global TED phenomenon Hans Rosling, together with his two long-time collaborators, Anna and Ola, offersa radical new explanation of why this happens. They revealthe ten instincts that distort our perspective--from our tendency to divide the world into two camps (usually some version ofus andthem) to the way we consume media (where fear rules) to how we perceive progress (believing that most things are getting worse). Our problem is that we don't know what we don't know, and even our guesses are informed by unconscious and predictable biases. It turns out that the world, for all its imperfections, is in a much better state than we might think. That doesn't mean there aren't real concerns. But when we worry about everything all the time instead of embracing a worldview based on facts, we can lose our ability to focus on the things that threaten us most. Inspiring and revelatory, filled with lively anecdotes and moving stories,Factfulnessis an urgent and essential book that will change the way you see the world and empower you to respond to the crises and opportunities of the future. --- "This book is my last battle in my life-long mission to fight devastating ignorance...Previously I armed myself with huge data sets, eye-opening software, an energetic learning style and a Swedish bayonet for sword-swallowing. It wasn't enough. But I hope this book will be." Hans Rosling, February 2017.… (more)
Member:ohlonelibrary
Title:Factfulness: Ten Reasons We're Wrong About the World--and Why Things Are Better Than You Think
Authors:Hans Rosling (Author)
Info:Flatiron Books (2018), 352 pages

Factfulness: Ten Reasons We're Wrong About the World--and Why Things Are Better Than You Think by Hans Rosling

Recently added bywest54st, quantumamy, Marctz, QuiteTheHuman, Dollo, doodles25, private library, PJ817, RICEGhana

English (23)  Dutch (3)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (29)
An important book, I think. Even though there are some problems (see the top-rated critical reviews here), I still believe that the principle of the book is sound and important, even if the underlying details and methods used for illustration are partially questionable. ( )
  malexmave | Oct 3, 2019 |
An important read, especially for those who feel that things are bleak and bound to get worse. ( )
  hatingongodot | Aug 12, 2019 |
A great look at our misconceptions about wealth and poverty, and how that affects us, as well as other countries. How the media shows small slices, and yet, they aren't ultimately to blame for the problems we have as a society in understanding. There's a lot of hope out there, but we're trained to keep looking for the dark and ways to worry. ( )
  Pepperwings | Jul 1, 2019 |
Wow. This is a great thought-provoking book. No wonder it was on Bill Gate's recommended list. I work with numbers and data analysis every day and reading this has made me want to look even deeper into numbers. About the work too, not just for my work. These authors do a great job at galvanizing you into thinking more deeply about why the world is the way it is and why we react to things the way we do. I will be keeping these facts in mind moving forward. Highly recommended. ( )
  Kassilem | Jun 28, 2019 |
An important book. The data will date fast, but the underlying message won't. Similarly how we should look at data is a timeless message we should all heed. ( )
  devilish2 | Jun 27, 2019 |

Slater, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Summers, BenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Teschner, UveErzählersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vries, Annemie deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I love the circus. (Introduction, Why I Love the Circus)
Where it all started

It was October 1995 and little did I know that after my class that evening, I was going to start my lifelong fight against global misconceptions.

Contents:

Introduction -- The gap instinct -- The negativity instinct -- The straight line instinct -- The fear instinct -- The size instinct -- The generalization instinct -- The destiny instinct -- The single perspective instinct -- The blame instinct -- The urgency instinct -- Factfulness in practice -- Acknowledgements -- Appendix 1: How did your country do? -- Notes

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,799,934 books! | Top bar: Always visible