Sharpe's Regiment by Bernard Cornwell
Recently added byOryphany, OHBibliophile, phil_callaghan, private library, LovelaceToone, happysadnick

Topnotch Sharpe adventure based mostly in England with Sharpe trying to find his battalion in 1813... Great stuff ( )
  cbinstead | Oct 20, 2016 |
By now I'm used to the elements of a Sharpe book, and this is pretty much by the numbers. A nice twist is the problem of recruiting for the South Essex. We get a lot of Sharpe backstory in this one, and a view of the England Wellington fought for. There's an American in this one, but he's a friend of Sharpe's so he's all right. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Nov 3, 2013 |
Oh, *Sharpe*. Never not awesome.

I'm way more charmed by Jane than I should be, given how little she appears, but Sharpe hearts her enough that I heart her too. Harper is as awesome as ever, and he and Sharpe are the bestest buddies ever.

It's probably bad that I was predicting plot elements based on the number of pages left -- "no, Sharpe, you can't pull off [risky and heroic action:], because if you did, you'd be back in Spain in thirty pages and there are 120 left, accept it and move on to the next twist" -- but the plot elements were all gracefully handled, and I adored the Dowager Countess and her meanness.

The scheming is HILARIOUS, especially when Sharpe and Harper get themselves recruited into the army, although I did question why Sharpe would trust Maggie Joyce to deal with his diamonds, given that they *haven't seen each other in a decade*. Apparently there was a lot more honor amongst thieves back then, or something. ( )
  cricketbats | Apr 18, 2013 |
Another solid entry, this time with a very different story that takes place in England rather than Spain. Sharpe's battle is not against the French but against the powers in his own Army that want to disband the South Essex for their own purposes. Wouldn't have been nearly so good if not for the long epilogue that Cornwell wisely added. ( )
  5hrdrive | May 21, 2011 |
While I wish I owned all of the Sharpe series, this is the only one I have read for one simple reason, of all 21movies(or is it 22 i can never remember) Sharpe's Regiment is my absolute favorite. So much so that I bought the book. I know you should never base your thoughts on a book from the movie, but the whole time I was reading I could hear all the characters talking in the actors voices. I love Sharpe, but more importantly, Sean Bean. (props to anyone who actually gets that reference to the Vicar of Dibly) ( )
  RockStarNinja | Feb 20, 2011 |

With the Duke of Wellington set to invade France, Major Richard Sharpe finds himself without a regiment, and disguising himself as a new recruit, uncovers in England a web of treachery and corruption.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,514,314 books! | Top bar: Always visible