The Capricorn Bracelet by Rosemary Sutcliff

The Capricorn Bracelet (original 1973; edition 2003)

by Rosemary Sutcliff, Charles Keeping (Illustrator)

Member:konallis
Title:The Capricorn Bracelet
Authors:Rosemary Sutcliff
Other authors:Charles Keeping (Illustrator)
Info:London : Red Fox, 2003.
Tags:children's/young adult, historical fiction, read 2019

The Capricorn Bracelet by Rosemary Sutcliff (1973)

I loved Rosemary Sutcliff's historical fiction, when I was younger. I read two copies of The Eagle of the Ninth to pieces. This book is also about Roman Britain, although it's more focused on the area around the wall, and is also less about big epic deeds, and more about ordinary people -- focusing on a single family through a period of a couple of hundred years. There's less excitement, I suppose, but there are fascinating little details about how Sutcliff imagines life to have been then -- realistic, so far as I can tell.

I liked it. It wasn't the kind of story to blow someone away, I think, but one to sit with quietly and absorb. There are lovely details in it, lovely moments, and small quick glimpses of lives...

My only argument with it is that the narrators, the six different narrators, don't sound very different. It's hard, I suppose, to differentiate, but it felt like one voice. Could be partly choice, keeping the family link clear, but it bugged me. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 26, 2013 |

shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
The Capricorn Bracelet is a collection of six stories told by various members of a family in Britain over a period of three hundred years. The common link among these six stories is the Capricorn bracelet, a family heirloom earned for distinguished conduct by the centurion Lucius who was a boy when Londinium fell. The last story is told by Lucian, whose father is executed with Maximus during Maximus' failed bid to be emperor of Britain.

The stories are told in the first person, which is a different device for Sutcliff but one that works quite well for her in this collection. This collection grew out of Sutcliff's work about Roman Scotland for a BBC radio program called "Stories From Scottish History." I enjoyed this book and recommend it to anyone looking for a short piece of historical fiction about Roman Britain. ( )
3 vote atimco | Feb 17, 2008 |

Rosemary Sutcliffprimary authorall editionscalculated
Keeping, CharlesIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
They tell me that Londinium is rebuilt, fine and grand so that anyone who knew it in the old days would hardly know it again.

Six episodes chronicle the lives of a family in Roman Britain over three hundred years.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,368,263 books! | Top bar: Always visible