High Fidelity by Nick Hornby

High Fidelity (original 1995; edition 1996)

by Nick Hornby

Member:Yells
Title:High Fidelity
Authors:Nick Hornby
Info:Riverhead Trade (1996), Paperback, 336 pages
Collections:Read in 2013, Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:READ 2013

High Fidelity by Nick Hornby (1995)

About a Boy by Nick Hornby (Maurizio70)
    Everything Changes by Jonathan Tropper (SimoneA)
    SimoneA: Both funny and enjoyable books about a young guy rethinking his life.
    The best a man can get by John O'Farrell (alzo)
    Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn (lampbane)
    lampbane: Another story where music and love are interconnected.
    Chilly Scenes of Winter by Ann Beattie (sturlington)
    Hairstyles of the Damned by Joe Meno (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both are introspective and character-based novels about a witty and music-obsessed young man suffering from relationship problems. Readers who enjoy savvy, music-literate fiction will enjoy the hip, colloquial prose and rich detail concerning popular music.… (more)
    Suzy, Led Zeppelin, and Me by Martin Millar (AsYouKnow_Bob)
    The Song is You by Arthur Phillips (elenchus)
    elenchus: Similar taste in music by the protagonists, but a very different novel. Both very good.
    Vinyl Junkies: Adventures in Record Collecting by Brett Milano (Sr_Moreno)
    YOU comma Idiot by Doug Harris (ShelfMonkey)

English (141)  Spanish (4)  Norwegian (2)  German (2)  Italian (2)  Danish (1)  All languages (152)
High Fidelity is the second Nick Hornby book I've read and I expected to enjoy it more than I actually did. I decided to give this book a read after seeing the excellent John Cusack film for the second time. I wasn't sure what to expect of the novel, knowing as I did that, among other things, Cusack and director Stephen Frears had taken the liberty of relocating the story from London to Chicago.
At 35, Rob is clearly at the crossroads. An avid record enthusiast, he owns a none too successful second hand record store; his mother wonders when he will ever find a 'real' job. Laura, his partner of three years has just walked out on him. So what's a guy to do, he composes a top five list of his most memorable breakups. n short Rob comes across as a rather self indulgent lazy slacker, whiner or loser (take your pick) who would rather reorganise or recategorise his massive record collection then face up to his fear of intimacy and failure to commitment.
High Fidelity is a good but not great (as the critics would have you believe) novel. However it is not just a book for guys. Women reading this book may gain some information in the way of the insights, secrets, obsessions etc into how males think and then again they may conclude we are all losers. High Fidelity although certainly well written is essentially a narrative of observations coupled with humour and the occasional dose of wit without too much analysis. ( )
  AlexisLovesBooks | Feb 9, 2016 |
Ok. Mildly interesting. Not worthy of "100 new classics" status. ( )
  deldevries | Jan 31, 2016 |
Rob Fleming feels like he's failed at life. It seems like the world agrees with him. His record store is barely making it, his mom pities him, his top five ex-girlfriends all replaced him with another guy, his girlfriend just moved in with another man, and their mutual friend Liz thinks he's an arsehole. This gets Rob thinking that maybe he's been going about this whole life thing the wrong way. Maybe always leaving his options open isn't all it's cracked up to be. Maybe love can't be based on another person's likes and dislikes. Maybe, just maybe, life is deeper than a record collection.

I've been wanting to read this book since I first saw the film adaptation, which doesn't quite make my list of top five films (1. The Princess Bride, 2. Gross Pointe Blank, 3. Breakfast at Tiffanys, 4. Dogma, 5. The Secret of Roan Inish). It definitely has John Cusack going for it, and he does make my list of top five actors (1. Audrey Hepburn, 2. John Cusack, 3. Morgan Freeman, 4. Natalie Portman, 5. Maggie Gyllenhall). So I read the book, which doesn't even come close to being a top five (1. A Portrait of the Artist As a Young Man by James Joyce, 2. To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf, 3. A Short History of Women by Kate Walbert, 4. Anne of Green Gables by LM Montgomery, 5. The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley). While it had a ton of pop culture references, a sharp, biting humor, and very keen observations on life, it didn't live up to my expectations. Scratch that. The first half didn't live up to my expectations. The second half absolutely did. This novel certainly isn't high literature, but it is clever, well written and the social commentary is spot on. I'd have to say that Nick Hornby just might be the man's answer to chick lit. ( )
  Mootastic1 | Jan 15, 2016 |
I love the movie with Cusack. This is probably the first book I read after the the movie. This movie is in my Top Five. I loved how the book List all the Top five list I relate to Rob because im always making Top list of books or music.

In the book Rob loses his love Laura and tries to sort out his life. He starts by tracing his top 5 breakups and tracking down the women to figure out what went wrong. He is quite depressing as he searches himself. Rob runs a record shop. Dick and Barry work for him. They are both are quirky in their own right. They don't fully help Rob in his journey but they provide comic relief. ( )
  JWarrenBenton | Jan 4, 2016 |

JWarrenBenton | Jan 4, 2016 |
Happily, Hornby does not rely on pop-cultural allusion to limn his characters' inner lives, but uses it instead to create a rich, wry backdrop for them... Hornby is as fine an analyst as he is a funny man, and his book is a true original.
added by Shortride | editTime, Gina Bellafante (Oct 9, 1995)

Mr. Hornby captures the loneliness and childishness of adult life with such precision and wit that you'll find yourself nodding and smiling.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Mark Jolly (Sep 3, 1995)

For Virginia
My desert-island, all-time, top five most memorable split-ups, in chronological order:
1) Alison Ashworth
2) Penny Hardwick
3) Jackie Allen
4) Charlie Nicholson
5) Sarah Kendrew.
People worry about kids playing with guns, and teenagers watching violent videos; we are scared that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands—literally thousands—of songs about broken hearts and rejection and misery and loss. The unhappiest people I know, romantically speaking, are the ones who like pop music the most.
"Wenn man sich überlegt, was beim Mann alles schiefgehen kann! Da gibt es das tut-sich-gar-nichts-Problem, das Tut-sich-zu-viel-zu-schnell-Problem, das Kläglicher-Hänger-nach-vielversprechendem-Start-Problem, das Größe-spielt-keine-Rolle-außer-bei-mir-Problem, das Es-ihr-nicht-besorgen-Problem ... und worum haben sich Frauen zu sorgen? Das bißchen Zellulitis? Willkommen im club. Ein kleines Wie-war-ich-wohl? Dito.

Recently dumped by his wealthy girlfriend, record store owner Rob Fleming finds himself in financial trouble and sets out on a pilgrimage to ask his former girlfriends where their relationships went wrong and to learn where his life went off track.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0575400188, Paperback)

It has been said often enough that baby boomers are a television generation, but the very funny novel High Fidelity reminds that in a way they are the record-album generation as well. This funny novel is obsessed with music; Hornby's narrator is an early-thirtysomething English guy who runs a London record store. He sells albums recorded the old-fashioned way--on vinyl--and is having a tough time making other transitions as well, specifically adulthood. The book is in one sense a love story, both sweet and interesting; most entertaining, though, are the hilarious arguments over arcane matters of pop music.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:01 -0400)

The romantic trials of the owner of a London record shop, after his girlfriend leaves him for another man.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140293469, 0141037350

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,262,291 books! | Top bar: Always visible