High Fidelity by Nick Hornby

High Fidelity (original 1995; edition 1996)

by Nick Hornby

Title:High Fidelity
Authors:Nick Hornby
Info:Riverhead Trade (1996), Paperback, 336 pages
Collections:Read in 2013, Read but unowned
Tags:READ 2013

High Fidelity by Nick Hornby (1995)

About a Boy by Nick Hornby (Maurizio70)
    Everything Changes by Jonathan Tropper (SimoneA)
    SimoneA: Both funny and enjoyable books about a young guy rethinking his life.
    The best a man can get by John O'Farrell (alzo)
    Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn (lampbane)
    lampbane: Another story where music and love are interconnected.
    Chilly Scenes of Winter by Ann Beattie (sturlington)
    Hairstyles of the Damned by Joe Meno (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both are introspective and character-based novels about a witty and music-obsessed young man suffering from relationship problems. Readers who enjoy savvy, music-literate fiction will enjoy the hip, colloquial prose and rich detail concerning popular music.… (more)
    Suzy, Led Zeppelin, and Me by Martin Millar (AsYouKnow_Bob)
    The Song is You by Arthur Phillips (elenchus)
    elenchus: Similar taste in music by the protagonists, but a very different novel. Both very good.
    Vinyl Junkies: Adventures in Record Collecting by Brett Milano (Sr_Moreno)
    YOU comma Idiot by Doug Harris (ShelfMonkey)

English (136)  Spanish (4)  Norwegian (2)  German (2)  Italian (2)  Danish (1)  All languages (147)
Really didn't like this. I can't understand why it's so popular. It's just 300 pages of pathetic whining from a shitty character about how he doesn't understand why he's life so crap. He somehow seems to blame it on the women throughout his life without realising that maybe it's him that needs to change or be better. He really is a crap character and I didn't care at all. ( )
  ebethiepaige | Oct 20, 2015 |
  ebethiepaige | Oct 17, 2015 |
I have read my fair share of break-up stories but they are pretty much almost always told from the female point of view. High Fidelity by Nick Hornby gives us the males point of view and it’s funny, clever, and somewhat frustrating as Rob tells us about his break-up with Laura as well as the rest of his romantic memories. Using music as the thread that binds his memories together , Rob doesn’t flinch from showing us his self centered side of the story but as it goes along he also learns to confront his loneliness, sense of failure and, at the age of 29, his lack of maturity.

I wish I had read this book when I was in my 20’s or 30’s as I believe the author has painted a true picture of how men think and act in certain situations and this knowledge would have helped me in dealing with the opposite sex. But instead of finding this a useful reference, I was able to relax and enjoy the story, giggle out loud a bit and shake my head at how very different men and women are and what they really mean when they say certain things.

Well written, humorous, pathetic and highly readable, High Fidelity was a great read and Nick Hornby is definitely an author that I intended to follow up on. ( )
1 vote DeltaQueen50 | Oct 5, 2015 |

At first, I was irritated by this book. I enjoyed the movie, like most people, but in the book you see way, way more of the protagonist's noodling and over-thinking and pointless ruminations and it just gets so tiresome. Especially if you're a woman reading this. And a woman way too late in her game to care about these kinds of ruminations. You can't help shouting at the page: get over yourself and bite the bullet, dude!

However, the novel redeemed itself in two ways:

- It's funny as all get out. It's unfortunate that I can see Jack Black in my mind every time they riff on a top-5 list in the store. I'd like to know if those scenes would "play" as well in my mind without the movie version there in advance. Regardless, and obviously, the discussions of music are integral for both the main character's growth and to provide a lot more than a thought-provoking essay on the state of being a man in the modern era.

- The girlfriend is really well written. She's a mess, but she's a thoughtful, brave, heartfelt mess. You can see why he likes her and you can see why he should be with her. She may teeter a bit on the "fantasy-woman" edge because no one is quite that put together, but this kind of woman is believable.

I doubt I'll be reading his other books. In the end, they're too "male" and I just find that boring. ( )
  khage | Aug 17, 2015 |
Nick Hornby is one of my favorite contemporary English novelist but I have now been disappointed twice. First with Juliet Naked and now with High Fidelity. I care for neither. The obsessive sex chatter in HF went no where as far as I could see. If you are interested in pop music you may appreciate the book more than I did. Hornby has four loves in no particular order, music, reading, writing and sex. His children must fit in there someplace but he doesn't seem to riff on that. ( )
  SigmundFraud | Feb 2, 2015 |
Happily, Hornby does not rely on pop-cultural allusion to limn his characters' inner lives, but uses it instead to create a rich, wry backdrop for them... Hornby is as fine an analyst as he is a funny man, and his book is a true original.
added by Shortride | editTime, Gina Bellafante (Oct 9, 1995)
Mr. Hornby captures the loneliness and childishness of adult life with such precision and wit that you'll find yourself nodding and smiling.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Mark Jolly (Sep 3, 1995)
For Virginia
My desert-island, all-time, top five most memorable split-ups, in chronological order:
1) Alison Ashworth
2) Penny Hardwick
3) Jackie Allen
4) Charlie Nicholson
5) Sarah Kendrew.
People worry about kids playing with guns, and teenagers watching violent videos; we are scared that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands—literally thousands—of songs about broken hearts and rejection and misery and loss. The unhappiest people I know, romantically speaking, are the ones who like pop music the most.
"Wenn man sich überlegt, was beim Mann alles schiefgehen kann! Da gibt es das tut-sich-gar-nichts-Problem, das Tut-sich-zu-viel-zu-schnell-Problem, das Kläglicher-Hänger-nach-vielversprechendem-Start-Problem, das Größe-spielt-keine-Rolle-außer-bei-mir-Problem, das Es-ihr-nicht-besorgen-Problem ... und worum haben sich Frauen zu sorgen? Das bißchen Zellulitis? Willkommen im club. Ein kleines Wie-war-ich-wohl? Dito.

Recently dumped by his wealthy girlfriend, record store owner Rob Fleming finds himself in financial trouble and sets out on a pilgrimage to ask his former girlfriends where their relationships went wrong and to learn where his life went off track.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0575400188, Paperback)

It has been said often enough that baby boomers are a television generation, but the very funny novel High Fidelity reminds that in a way they are the record-album generation as well. This funny novel is obsessed with music; Hornby's narrator is an early-thirtysomething English guy who runs a London record store. He sells albums recorded the old-fashioned way--on vinyl--and is having a tough time making other transitions as well, specifically adulthood. The book is in one sense a love story, both sweet and interesting; most entertaining, though, are the hilarious arguments over arcane matters of pop music.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:01 -0400)

The romantic trials of the owner of a London record shop, after his girlfriend leaves him for another man.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140293469, 0141037350

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,957,010 books! | Top bar: Always visible