Emerald City by Jennifer Egan

Emerald City (1993)

by Jennifer Egan

200658,750 (3.49)13

Excellently written, picturesque, and so very grim. ( )
  ronhenry | Nov 17, 2015 |
This is a collection of short stories by Jennifer Egan, the author famous for "A Visit from the Good Squad." Although I am usually not a fan of short stories, I have greatly enjoyed Ms. Egan's other books so I thought I would read this one as well. Generally, the stories were interesting, as most took place in obscure locations and various countries. However, the themes of the stories were dysphoric. There weren't any happy endings to these stories and the characters were left with melancholy feelings about their lives and situations. Overall, I thought her stories were interesting enough for me to read the book quickly, but this was not really a fun read. ( )
  voracious | Mar 30, 2015 |
This book contains 11 short stories which have in common that the narrators have something to hide, to reveal or were once struggling a personal failure in their relationships. Each story is written like a story within a story. As a reader I always had the feeling that it starts very harmless - nothing to worry about the narrators or their surroundings but with the time being I was surprised what kind of history the narrators had to tell and with each new story I couldn't wait what kind of human fate would be released. ( )
  Ameise1 | Dec 7, 2014 |
I'm not really a short story kind of person but I really enjoyed Egan's "A Visit from the Goon Squad" so I thought I would try this book. While the stories are well-written and interesting I found them all a little depressing and sad. And, as tends to be the problem for me with short stories, I wanted to know so much more about the characters than could be learned in 10 or 20 pages. ( )
  PennyAnne | Jun 18, 2013 |
3 stars as an average rating - these stories vary wildly in quality. "Sacred Heart" was my favorite. ( )
  kszym | Apr 3, 2013 |
It was him, no question.

The theme of longing in all its forms-for change, for redemption, for travel outside the bounds of daily life to realms where anything seems possible--unites this master story collection. In the extraordinary "Why China?" a man drags his family to the Xi'an province in a desperate attempt to reclaim his lost integrity, only to find himself more reomte and mysterious than the place where his journey led. In settings as exotic as Kenya and Bora Bora, as glamorous as downtown Manhattan, or as familiar as suburban Illinois, Egan's characters--models, housewives, schoolgirls--seek transformation of the body and spirit, and trancendence of the borders of desire."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:22 -0400)

Eleven stories on the vagaries of life. In Why China? a successful stockbroker yearns for the days when he was poor, in Passing the Hat, a wife observing a woman sleep around with men, is shocked to discover her own husband was one of them, while The Watch Trick compares the lives of two army friends, one who settled down, the other who didn't. By the author of The Invisible Circus.… (more)

85 wanted3 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,860,368 books! | Top bar: Always visible