Emerald City by Jennifer Egan

Emerald City (1993)

by Jennifer Egan

190462,147 (3.45)11

This book contains 11 short stories which have in common that the narrators have something to hide, to reveal or were once struggling a personal failure in their relationships. Each story is written like a story within a story. As a reader I always had the feeling that it starts very harmless - nothing to worry about the narrators or their surroundings but with the time being I was surprised what kind of history the narrators had to tell and with each new story I couldn't wait what kind of human fate would be released. ( )
  Ameise1 | Dec 7, 2014 |
I'm not really a short story kind of person but I really enjoyed Egan's "A Visit from the Goon Squad" so I thought I would try this book. While the stories are well-written and interesting I found them all a little depressing and sad. And, as tends to be the problem for me with short stories, I wanted to know so much more about the characters than could be learned in 10 or 20 pages. ( )
  PennyAnne | Jun 18, 2013 |
3 stars as an average rating - these stories vary wildly in quality. "Sacred Heart" was my favorite. ( )
  kszym | Apr 3, 2013 |
I don't really know how to start. I found this book on the ground outside of work and decided to take it rather than throw it away or leave it there.

A collection of short stories which all deal with an aspect of someones life, none of which seem very upbeat. I had a feeling of unease reading these stories and had to take them in doses of only one or two at a time. At times I felt like a voyeur becoming privy to things that'd best be kept private.

The stories are well written and do hold your attention while reading. For a few tho I was actually wishing I could know more about the people involved. ( )
2 vote rastaphrog | Sep 15, 2008 |

The theme of longing in all its forms-for change, for redemption, for travel outside the bounds of daily life to realms where anything seems possible--unites this master story collection. In the extraordinary "Why China?" a man drags his family to the Xi'an province in a desperate attempt to reclaim his lost integrity, only to find himself more reomte and mysterious than the place where his journey led. In settings as exotic as Kenya and Bora Bora, as glamorous as downtown Manhattan, or as familiar as suburban Illinois, Egan's characters--models, housewives, schoolgirls--seek transformation of the body and spirit, and trancendence of the borders of desire."

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:29 -0400)

Eleven stories on the vagaries of life. In Why China? a successful stockbroker yearns for the days when he was poor, in Passing the Hat, a wife observing a woman sleep around with men, is shocked to discover her own husband was one of them, while The Watch Trick compares the lives of two army friends, one who settled down, the other who didn't. By the author of The Invisible Circus.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,363,316 books! | Top bar: Always visible