The Drowned World by J. G. Ballard

The Drowned World (edition 1987)

by J. G. Ballard

Member:selfnoise
Title:The Drowned World
Authors:J. G. Ballard
Info:Carroll & Graf Pub (1987), Reissue, Paperback
Tags:sf, bounced off

The Drowned World by J. G. Ballard

The Island of Dr. Moreau by H. G. Wells (amanda4242)
    Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer (ShelfMonkey)
    Earth Abides by George R. Stewart (Bookmarque)
    Bookmarque: another post-apocalyptic novel with a more philosophical attitude, quieter and more introspective.
    The Genocides by Thomas M. Disch (ShelfMonkey)
    Freakangels, Volume 5 by Warren Ellis (djryan)
    Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad (amanda4242)
    Blood Music by Greg Bear (Bookmarque)
    Bookmarque: tapping into the human evolution theme and the drastic changes in form and function we can take.

English (37)  Italian (2)  All languages (39)
I can see why Ballard has fans. The setting is great, vivid and effective. Tnat earned three stars from me. However, the plot feels dated and the characters were impossible to connect with.. I have never been a fan of this style of psychological sci fi. I also found it annoying that the only female character was purely decorative. Still, the drowned city swallowed up by swamp, vines, and crocodiles made it worth the read. ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
A good, well-written and exciting read once I got into it, and quite topical because of global warming, which was not such an issue when the book was written in the early 1960s. It is set in an undetermined* future (a future seen from the 1960s - there is a Woolworths, communications in Morse, no computers, people listed to records and tapes); sun disturbance means the daytime peak temperature is around 150 degrees. We are in London - Leicester Square to be more precise, which is now a lagoon, only the top floors of buildings standing proud. Dr Kerans, born in Greenland where most of the surviving population has fled, is working on a research station moored in the lagoon but has chosen to live in a suite in the Ritz, furnished for a financier from Milan. Somehow he has supplies, electricity, a freezer, weaponry, and a lover - Beatrice Dahl who has decided to live alone in her grandfather's penthouse apartment also overlooking in the lagoon. Does she have a boat or does she spend all her time sunbathing on her balcony? I found her a rather vague character, is she part of the scientific team? I did have to suspend belief quite a lot and found myself questioning motives and behaviour - when it is so hot, would you really wear a suit and wonder if you should put on a jacket? As the vegetation luxuriates and the insect and reptile fauna proliferates, the few human characters experience vivid dreams that suggest regression into primeval times. When time comes for the scientists to return to base in the north, Kerans decides to stay behind. Why? he vaguely refers to the more organized, military life back home. Excitement comes with the arrival of a boat-casino manned by the megalomaniac pirate Strangman in a white suit, and his crew, intent on looting furniture and jewellery and holding parties. He gets pumps working to drain the lagoon. And I shall stop there, with all my questions unresolved.

*Have now seen on wiki that it is set in 2145 but I don't know where this date comes from - I'll have to look at the beginning again. ( )
1 vote overthemoon | Feb 1, 2018 |
Wonderfully imaginative and bizarre novel about the psychological disintegration of the ain character. ( )
  brakketh | Mar 11, 2017 |
Very far on the pulpy end of Ballard's œuvre, which is not a bad thing on its own, but this one also suffers for a few other reasons: we know a lot more about the potential effects of global warming now than in 1961, and the lagoony Triassic-redux world that Ballard imagines is compelling on its own terms and a good setting for the psychodrama of human regression to a Triassic state that Ballard envisions, but it's not at all realistic, which makes a goat of the hard-SF conventions that Ballard tries here to embrace and then play off of; then also, if the novel's goal is to explore the state of the psyche post-apocalypse, surely what we must be most concerned about is the fact that we did it, we blew it up (we maniacs), whereas Ballard uses sunspots as his plot device--considerably less interesting than the guilty reality. And while the regression Kerans undergoes from positivist biologist to heat-hypnotized rodent, more or less, is a fascinating one, and the high stagecraft of the settings--the lagoon full of crocodiles, the underwater ballroom, the drained and crusty Leicester Square seething with the stench of life and the squelch of rot, it's undermined by the dynamic Ballard sets up between the whites (in their different ways, dashing colonial men of action, the kind who were just then completing their march into history had Ballard only noticed) and Strangman's black crew (grunting, servile apes, no doubt affected like everyone else by the encroachment of sun and furze and perhaps you can hang their depiction on that as a regression too, but given the way they gambol and hoot (words deployed liberally include "bongos," "dusky," "paw," etc., and is there a carefully ambiguous gang rape scene you better believe there's a carefully ambiguous gang rape scene) and set Kerans up as a kind of kitschy African-style Fisher King with a crocodile head ... nope, we can only conclude that they are here as a missing link, lower humans who OH BIG IRONY slip into the steamy future JUST LIKE THE JUNGLES OF THEIR YOUTH and retain their humanity better than the thoroughbred Brits. And that's all bullshit, and I think redolent of the pulp conventions of its time but surely not of the broader culture, anymore? Dispiriting especially because at first Kerans is described several times as "ebony" and you think this book is gonna be forwardthinking but nope it's just a suntan. Same thing goes for the token woman, and her musky breasts, and the way she gets covered in jewels and desultorily takes on the sun goddess role ... basically when this book views regression as something akin to an actual pruning of higher neural functions and an embrace of buried instinct, and tries to imagine what kind of re-enchantment of the world might come from re-entering the mindset of a small beast, it has good moments, but more often it seems to view "savagery," and the kind of cartoonish tooth-flashing bestiality that implies, as a waystation to that latter regression, and that goes along with the unfortunate door-closing choices Ballard made in the way he set up the climate change–driven end of civ to make this seem a not super successful period piece at present. ( )
1 vote MeditationesMartini | Feb 15, 2017 |
The Drowned World could easily look like a climate change cautionary tale nowadays, depicting as it does a planet on which all the major cities are under hundreds of feet of water, the average daytime temperature is a good 120-140 degrees, and the biosphere is reverting to something much like its Triassic state, teeming with giant ferns and reptiles that some people are starting to suspect are evolving back into dinosaurs. But the book (first published in 1962) predates modern theories; here the sun is the culprit; a series of really bad solar flares having stripped away a lot of the protections Earth's atmosphere provides, the planet has gotten hot and steamy; The Drowned World could well be a sequel to Stephen Vincent Benet's poem, "Metropolitan Nightmare," which is even older.

So the characters here are neither hand-wringers nor moralizers. Robert Kerans, Colonel Riggs and Beatrice Dahl are studying the vast series of lagoons that used to be London as the book opens. But it's time to go back to the relative safety and comfort of the Arctic Circle; the iguanas and gators are getting uppity and the heat is going to get unbearable. Everything looks good to go -- but nobody asked Beatrice. And Beatrice, like many other members of the expedition, has started to have "deep" dreams that seem to be seducing her into staying, into giving up her humanity as it is commonly understood and becoming a quiescent consciousness submerged in jungle and lagoon. And because she and Kerans have become a couple during their time in the Lagoons-That-Were-London, he's going to stay, too. Besides, Kerans kind of likes his living arrangements, in the penthouse of the ruins of the Ritz Hotel -- a penthouse that's now more or less at water level, and still crammed full of a long-dead resident's silk shirts and other treasures.

What follows is a short -- shockingly short by modern standards; I had almost forgotten that novels once took up just 133 pages! -- account of a myriad of ways in which people can go mad outside of civilization. We have looters, a savage king (who arrives on a paddle steamer escorted by hundreds of alligators who seem to respond a bit to his will), and more than one person who has decided to do as the dreams suggest and just sort of zone out and become human lizards. When the savage king finds a way to drain the lagoon where Kerans and Beatrice are basking, the better to get at the treasures he imagines are still to be had in the abandoned stores and museums at the bottom, things get even stranger, which I would not have thought possible.

I had my own "deep" dream after reading The Drowned World in which I basically invented my own sequel to it and shared the sense of being subsumed in its waters; Ballard's sequences are so vivid and compelling that I wasn't at all surprised by this. I too, want to see London's big planetarium filled with water and teeming with sponges and coral and angelfish, the little specks of light from the water's surface far above forming a new set of constellations that Kerans imagines mirror those that appeared in the night sky when the Earth's climate was last like this.

Ballard is a wonder! ( )

Self, WillIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stoovelaar, FrankCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thole, C. A. M.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiskott, IngeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soon it would be too hot.

When London is lost beneath the rising tides, unconscious desires rush to the surface in this apocalyptic tale from the author of Crash and Cocaine Nights. Set in the near future, the ice caps have melted and the planet basks in an unendurable heat. London is a primordial swamp; lush tropical vegetation grows up the walls of the Ritz and there are unconfirmed sightings of primeval reptiles swimming through the newly-formed lagoons. Some flee the capital; others embark on harebrained schemes to drain the submerged streets in search of treasure. But Dr Robert Kerans has come to accept this submarine city and finds himself strangely resistant to the idea of saving it...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:30 -0400)

"Fluctuations in solar radiation have caused the icecaps to melt and the seas to rise. Nature is on the rampage. London has been transformed into a primeval swamp, and within its submerged landscape giant lizards, dragonflies and insects compete for dominance. Human fertility is in decline and buildings sink beneath waters infested with decaying matter. Into this wasteland a group of intrepid scientists venture to record the flora and fauna of this new Triassic Age. Soon ghostly voices haunt their waking and nightmares permeate their sleep."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,855,397 books! | Top bar: Always visible