Missing Mom by Joyce Carol Oates

Missing Mom (original 2005; edition 2005)

by Joyce Carol Oates

7172013,134 (3.53)34
Member:RavenousReaders
Title:Missing Mom
Authors:Joyce Carol Oates
Info:ECCO (2005), Hardcover
Tags:pcpl, pima county public library, book club, murder, grief, mothers, Dusenberry-River library staff picks

Missing Mom by Joyce Carol Oates (2005)

English (18)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (20)
"L'ultima volta che vedi una persona e non sai che sarà l'ultima..."
Questa è la storia di come ho vissuto la morte di mia madre.Un giorno in un modo tutto tuo, sarà anche la tua storia....
E' vero...purtroppo prima o poi tutti ci passeremo e so che non sarà per niente facile come non lo è stato per Nikki...le sensazioni che lei provava mi sembrava di viverle con lei...il dolore, la mancanza, la desolazione,...ma bisogna risalire e riuscire a superare il dolore in un modo o nell'altro perchè questa è la vita!
Si nasce, si vive e si muore!Ma soprattutto la vita si VIVE! ( )
  Emanuela.Booklove | Oct 6, 2013 |
I was emotionally invested in this reading (and listening experience), caught up in the upheaval of loss and recovery, as bewildered as the characters by the effects of grief, only to have all of that apparently minimized by a gift-wrapped, no-loose-ends conclusion.

In this reading, I saw myself with many of the same undesirable and lamentable characteristics of the created characters. It will be the rare reader that does not see bits of herself in these pages.

It is a worthy read, even without satisfaction in the end.

Audio book reading was fantastic and contributed mightily to my enjoyment. ( )
  byronemerson | Mar 30, 2013 |
How do we honor our parents memory? Keep part of them alive? Embody their characteristics so we can move forward in our life after their death? This is fiction, of course, so no real answers here. Having lost both of my parents at a young age, I am also fascinated by how other women cope without their mothers. This is a sweet read, not but because it is easy or without pain, but because Nickie so clearly cherished and honored her mother's memory. Its a good start to encourage me to remember my own mother. ( )
  blockbuster1994 | Mar 5, 2013 |
This is the first of Joyce Carol Oates books I have actually wanted to read all the way through - I have had to force my way through some of the others and even given up on one or two. Usually her style irritates me for some reason but I found this intriguing for the emotion and as a subject very rarely explored. Deeply flawed, yet realisticly so, the characters and relationships have an honesty that is appealing and irritating at the same time. I'd recommend you at least try it. ( )
  shelleyraec | May 9, 2011 |
I love Joyce Carol Oates, but this is not one of my favorites. Her work is usually full of conflicting and surprising details with creative twists and turns that effectively play off one another. This one just sort of plodded along without her usual depth or intensity. I have to wonder if she wrote this after her mother died and if this was her way of expressing her feelings - a cathartic venture? If so, I hope it served its purpose, to this extent. ( )
  BALE | Oct 11, 2010 |

Oates, Joyce Carolprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fields, AnnaReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In Memory of Carolina Oates (1916-2003)
May 9, 2004. One of those aloof-seeming spring days: very sunny but not very warm.

Nikki Eaton, single, thirty-one, sexually liberated, and economically self-supporting, has never particularly thought of herself as a daughter. Yet, following the unexpected loss of her mother, she undergoes a remarkable transformation during a tumultuous year that brings stunning horror, sorrow, illumination, wisdom, and even—from an unexpected source—a nurturing love.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:17 -0400)

'Mother, Missing' is the story of a woman coming to terms with the violent death of her mother, and uncovering all the hidden secrets stowed away over the years.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,483,392 books! | Top bar: Always visible