Missing Mom by Joyce Carol Oates

Missing Mom (original 2005; edition 2005)

by Joyce Carol Oates

Member:RavenousReaders
Title:Missing Mom
Authors:Joyce Carol Oates
Info:ECCO (2005), Hardcover
Tags:pcpl, pima county public library, book club, murder, grief, mothers, Dusenberry-River library staff picks

Missing Mom by Joyce Carol Oates (2005)

English (20)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All (22)
I listened to the audio version of this book which I'm sure influenced how I reacted to it. The reader was good but the book never grabbed me. I find Joyce Carol Oates work uneven. I absolutely love some of it but a lot of it leaves me cold. This story, about a single, adult woman who visits her widowed mother and finds her body, murdered in the family home, isn't a mystery. It's about her reactions to the death, and her interactions with her sister -- her only sibling -- in the aftermath. I didn't identify with the main character, which is why I didn't connect emotionally with the story. I have a paper copy of the book and in looking at it, I think I may have enjoyed it more on the printed page. On the other hand it's fairly long and I may have found it slow. How's that for an ambivalent review? You will have to decide this one for yourself. ( )
  Eye_Gee | May 8, 2017 |
Another wonderful book by one of my favorite authors. Great characterizations and development of narrative flow! ( )
  JosephKing6602 | Apr 22, 2017 |
"L'ultima volta che vedi una persona e non sai che sarà l'ultima..."
Questa è la storia di come ho vissuto la morte di mia madre.Un giorno in un modo tutto tuo, sarà anche la tua storia....
E' vero...purtroppo prima o poi tutti ci passeremo e so che non sarà per niente facile come non lo è stato per Nikki...le sensazioni che lei provava mi sembrava di viverle con lei...il dolore, la mancanza, la desolazione,...ma bisogna risalire e riuscire a superare il dolore in un modo o nell'altro perchè questa è la vita!
Si nasce, si vive e si muore!Ma soprattutto la vita si VIVE! ( )
  Emanuela.Booklove | Oct 6, 2013 |
I was emotionally invested in this reading (and listening experience), caught up in the upheaval of loss and recovery, as bewildered as the characters by the effects of grief, only to have all of that apparently minimized by a gift-wrapped, no-loose-ends conclusion.

In this reading, I saw myself with many of the same undesirable and lamentable characteristics of the created characters. It will be the rare reader that does not see bits of herself in these pages.

It is a worthy read, even without satisfaction in the end.

Audio book reading was fantastic and contributed mightily to my enjoyment. ( )
  byronemerson | Mar 30, 2013 |
How do we honor our parents memory? Keep part of them alive? Embody their characteristics so we can move forward in our life after their death? This is fiction, of course, so no real answers here. Having lost both of my parents at a young age, I am also fascinated by how other women cope without their mothers. This is a sweet read, not but because it is easy or without pain, but because Nickie so clearly cherished and honored her mother's memory. Its a good start to encourage me to remember my own mother. ( )
  blockbuster1994 | Mar 5, 2013 |

Oates, Joyce Carolprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fields, AnnaReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In Memory of Carolina Oates (1916-2003)
May 9, 2004. One of those aloof-seeming spring days: very sunny but not very warm.

Nikki Eaton, single, thirty-one, sexually liberated, and economically self-supporting, has never particularly thought of herself as a daughter. Yet, following the unexpected loss of her mother, she undergoes a remarkable transformation during a tumultuous year that brings stunning horror, sorrow, illumination, wisdom, and even—from an unexpected source—a nurturing love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:36 -0400)

'Mother, Missing' is the story of a woman coming to terms with the violent death of her mother, and uncovering all the hidden secrets stowed away over the years.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,166,525 books! | Top bar: Always visible