Mysteries of Winterthurn by Joyce Carol…

Mysteries of Winterthurn

by Joyce Carol Oates

194860,720 (3.67)41
Recently added byPdRLibrary, scotloth, Kasthu, macescamilla, private library, ChiefBrody, ucla70, apiksaal, Frazinray

This book is written in the style of the 19th-century American Gothic. Three different mysteries, centered around the same characters over the span of their lifetimes. Very well-written, although it got a bit drawn out towards the end! You will definitely need to set aside a chunk of time and concentration for this one! ( )
  macescamilla | Sep 7, 2015 |
Posted in the group Club Read 2009 on Sept. 26, 2009.

It had not seemed like an entirely quixotic plan to write a sequence of "genre" novels linked by political, cultural, and moral (especially "feminist") themes, set in a long-ago/mythic America intended to suggest contemporary times: a Gothic family saga, a nineteenth-century 'romance," a saga of Gothic horror . . . and a "novel of mystery and detection." It had not seemed quixotic — but then, it never does, for otherwise we would not have outsized and unclassifiable works of art, of any kind — to hope that there might be readers for such novels, that seek to transform what might be called psychological realism into "Gothic" elements . . . Joyce Carol Oates in the Author's Afterword for Mysteries of Winterthurn.

I include the excerpt above because the author herself does a fine job of describing this superb novel. Mysteries of Winterthurn is a collection of three inter-related stories - mysteries - cases 'solved' by the renowed American detective Xavier Kilgarven. Our narrator is a private collector of "Murder", as he puts it, an amateur expert, looking back upon the time of these 'cases' in the late 19th century. He tells the tales with a wonderful, heightened language and much omniscience (considering he is just a 'collector'). He leads the reader down a merry path (ok, 'merry' may not be the right word here) with many a short excursion hinter and yon. It's delightfully frustrating (of course, I know that is an oxymoron!) when the reader is anxious about the fate of our hero, or the verdict of a jury.

Winterthurn is a small city, full of large family estates with their pedigreed occupants (the Kilgarvens are but one of them), and all of the other things a bustling American city of the late 19th century might have (i.e. mills, millworkers, boarding houses, cottages, churches . . .). Xavier is a young man who has not yet left the city to find fame and fortune in Manhattan in the first tale, and middle-aged in the last. There is something that plagues him internally about these mysteries in his home town.

There is certainly a lot I could say about why I so enjoyed Winterthurn — in short,it is an wonderfully entertaining, thought-provoking novel. In the afterward, Oates talks briefly about why we are attracted to classic Gothic tales, a sort of acting out of an inner reality (my paraphrase). I find myself mulling that from time to time and really enjoying the mull when I do!

Strangely, I read this book over the course of about two months. I would read a chapter or two and then set it aside while I read something else. I'm not sure why I did that, it certainly was not out of disinterest, but I don't regret reading it in such a way. This is a not-for-everyone novel, I suppose, but it has become, I think, my favorite Oates work. ( )
  avaland | Jan 9, 2013 |
This is a truly brilliant book. I think it might be the Great American Novel. ( )
  annesadleir | Oct 27, 2012 |
Well, it was a wild read...very intense at times, I could not put it down, I stayed up way too many nights late reading it! It was over the top creepy and beautifully written too...if you can imagine, an odd combo, beauty and creepy, not quite a 'you got chocolate in my peanut butter'...it's one of those combined flavors you've never had before and not sure if you're gonna like...which is a typical JCO novel. There are books that are an acquired taste and some books require a reader to have the flexibility to read them with an open mind and welcome the writing as it is and not go into it with preconceived notions set in concrete...and take an unexpected journey into a story unlike anything you've read before...that is the beauty of books. ( )
  LauraJWRyan | May 21, 2011 |
The Mysteries of Winterthurn is a gothic thriller that is really three novellas in one book.

The brilliant young detective-hero Xavier Kilgarvan is confronted with three baffling cases—"The Virgin in the Rose-Bower," "The Devil's Half-Acre," and "The Blood-Stained Gown”. These cases tax his genius for detection to the utmost, just as his forbidden passion for his cousin Perdita becomes an obsession that shapes his life.

In the first of these stories, Xavier Kilgarvan is a schoolboy interested in criminology. In the last story, Xavier is now a world famous 40 year old detective, likened by some to Sherlock Holmes.

The stories are narrated by an unidentified observer. The language is dense and the plots twist and turn. I found this hard going and put it down many times, before persevering to the end. And what a let down the end was – with no closure at all. We are left to imagine the truth (if there is such a thing). ( )
  Jawin | Oct 23, 2010 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0525242082, Hardcover)

The first paperback reprint since 1986 of the author's favorite among her several acclaimed and controversial Gothic novels.

In Mysteries of Winterthurn, the brilliant young detective-hero Xavier Kilgarvan is confronted with three baffling cases—"The Virgin in the Rose-Bower," "The Devil's Half-Acre," and "The Blood-Stained Gown"—that tax his genius for detection to the utmost, just as his forbidden passion for his cousin Perdita becomes an obsession that shapes his life.

"Exactly why Mysteries of Winterthurn, or more specifically, the youthful detective hero Xavier Kilgarvan remains so close to my heart is something of a mystery to me. It must be that Xavier, the painstaking, often frustrated, balked, discouraged and depressed amateur detective so misunderstood by his public, is a self-portrait of a kind: after Xavier has achieved a modicum of fame, or notoriety, in his 'hazardous' profession, he comes to feel that his public image is terribly misleading, since the public can have no awareness of the 'painstaking labor, the daily and hourly "grind," of the detective's work: and is woefully misled as to the glamorous ease with which mysteries are solved' as novels may appear, at a distance, to be 'easily' written if the novelist has a reputation for being prolific."—Joyce Carol Oates, from the Afterword

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:05 -0400)

Xavier Kilgarven has three baffling cases in his upper New York state 19th-century home, all of which are failures.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,959,450 books! | Top bar: Always visible