The End of Eternity by Isaac Asimov

The End of Eternity (1955)

by Isaac Asimov

The Time Machine by H. G. Wells (codeeater)
    Great Work of Time by John Crowley (whiten06)
    whiten06: Two great time-travel novels with similar premises

English (50)  Spanish (3)  French (2)  Italian (2)  Russian (1)  German (1)  Hungarian (1)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (62)
E' affrontando le grandi prove che l'umanit può elevarsi alle grandi altezze. La forza che ci fa andare avanti nasce dal pericolo,dall'incertezza e dall'inquietudine. [...] Le soluzioni si trovano affrontando le avversità,non evitandole.[...]Qualunque sistema come l'Eternità,che permette agli uomini di determinare il proprio futuro,finirà per scegliere la sicurezza e la mediocrità,e in questo contesto le stelle sono irraggiungibili.E l'Uomo è fatto per le stelle,per l'Infinito!Un romanzo di una potenza unica! Un romanzo esortativo a non lasciarsi limitare dalla mediocrità,ma a cercare la pienezza,anche a costo di rischi e sacrifici.Stupendo,con un finale che mi ha fatto venire i brividi. ( )
  AlessandraEtFabio | Dec 22, 2017 |
Presents some interesting ideas on time travel and reshaping history. Well thought out, 50's style. I like the Foundation series better. ( )
  delta351 | May 26, 2017 |
The End of Eternity by Isaac Asimov was a reread from my teenage years when the author was a favourite of mine.

I've always found the subject of time travel compelling and here, Asimov creates a lot of tension in this sparse 1955 novel that has become a classic of its genre.

I won't retell the story here, but rather share my opinion that the mechanics of time travel are well thought out, as are the social constructs. Our "hero" is rather vapid throughout and I enjoyed the nicely conceived twist that puts the whole plot in place.

The characters are rather one dimensional and definitely take second place to the thought provoking description of the future society and its role in controlling human destiny.

Not your average time travel novel. Recommended. ( )
1 vote Zumbanista | Mar 6, 2017 |
In his recent book on the "history" of time travel, James Gleick commented on this wonderful old Asimov novel. The commentary inspired me to now reread the novel, my first enjoyment of which had occurred a seeming (small-e) eternity ago. If you recall reading it yourself, you may know what I mean when I say, with due regard for capitalization, that it might be a good thing if there were an Eternity whose Allwhen Council approved a Reality Change affecting *our* particular Century.
  fpagan | Dec 6, 2016 |
5 ( )
  ronchan | Nov 14, 2016 |
The End of Eternity is a love story. Our questions about Andrew’s love are right. In the end as the mists melt — indeed by reflecting on Noÿs — we recognize what he has been and done. His mistakes are worse, and his character better, than we thought. We are left with a man who learns.

Asimov's spare prose is here at its height. It stands in his language, his focus. Hills of detail are at a stroke given to the imagination. Minds and hearts — and this is a novel of the mind and heart — are painted partly by silence, by the author's silence, by what is set before us and what goes unsaid. The reader, the re-reader, who looks, who notes, is rewarded. Theodore Sturgeon used to say "Science fiction is knowledge fiction." That is true not only of physical knowledge.

Asimov, Isaacprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Foss, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Giancola, DonatoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Horace L. Gold
Andrew Harlan stepped into the kettle.
If there was a flaw in Eternity, it involved women.  He had known the flaw for what it was from almost his first entrance in to Eternity, but he felt it personally only that day he had first met Noys.  From that moment it had been an easy path to this one, in which he stood false to his oath as an Eternal and to everything in which he had believed.

For what?

For Noys.

And he was not ashamed.  It was that which really rocked him.  He was not ashamed.  He felt no guilt for the crescendo of crimes he had committed, to which the latest addition of the unethical use of confidential Life-Plotting could only rank as a pecadillo.

He would do worse than his worst if he had to.

For the first time the specific and express thought came to him.  And though he pushed it away in horror, he knew that, having once come, it would return.

The thought was simply this:  That he would ruin Eternity, if he had to.

The worst of it was that he knew he had the power to do it.

Andrew Harlan is an Eternal, a member of the elite of the future. One of the few who live in Eternity, a location outside of place and time, Harlan's job is to create carefully controlled and enacted reality changes. These changes are small, exactingly calculated shifts in the course of history, made for the benefit of humankind. Though each change has been made for the greater good, there are also always costs. During one of his assignments, Harlan meets and falls in love with No?s Lambent, a woman who lives in real time and space. Then Harlan learns that No?s will cease to exist after the next change, and he risks everything to sneak her into Eternity.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,048,883 books! | Top bar: Always visible