The Sisters Grimm Book 1: The Fairy-Tale…

The Sisters Grimm Book 1: The Fairy-Tale Detectives (Sisters Grimm) (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Michael Buckley, Peter Ferguson

Title:The Sisters Grimm Book 1: The Fairy-Tale Detectives (Sisters Grimm)
Authors:Michael Buckley
Other authors:Peter Ferguson
Info:Amulet (2007), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Donated
Tags:fiction, fantasy

The Fairy-Tale Detectives by Michael Buckley (2007)

Recently added byarena300, kidsread, kilaschoolmt, private library, MizPurplest, davidgn, Audreybooks, UEN
    Fablehaven by Brandon Mull (mariah2)
    Theodosia and the Serpents of Chaos by R. L. LaFevers (Rubbah)
    Rubbah: also features funny and bright young female protagonists taking on dark forces
    The Sixty-Eight Rooms by Marianne Malone (kaledrina)
    A Tale Dark and Grimm by Adam Gidwitz (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Fairy tales come to life in these stories inspired by the Grimm Brother's creations. A Tale Dark and Grimm is much more intense and, at times gory, than the lighthearted and funny The Fairy-tale Detectives.

Cute premise, but utterly annoying. I would certainly recommend this to a young reader who wants action and doesn't have the experience to discern implausible plot elements from possible ones. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone older than 11.
For an adult, it was like being in the head of an immature, impulsive teen who makes every mistake possible and never learns from any of them. It was rather torturous, really.

Note: The audio version is excellent--the actor plays like 20 different characters perfectly (how does he have so many voices?) and his English accent made it all worthwhile. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
As I read this for a group discussion, I realized I had read it already. I guess it just wasn't all that memorable. I know I'm not going to bother looking for more in the series. However, I strongly suspect that if I'd read this when I was 8 or 9 I would have given it four stars and wanted to read the whole series.

I guess I just didn't quite feel involved. To me it seemed like the author had an idea of what he could sell, but didn't really have the full heart behind the effort. And his vision of some of the characters just didn't match mine.

I will admit that it got more complex, and richer, towards the end. I loved Daphne, especially as I got to know her better. And the pig policemen turned out not to be simple stereotypes. And there was a reason the grandmother was all mysterious at the beginning, besides just a gimmick to make us feel as suspicious and hostile as Sabrina felt. But that old trope of getting into trouble because of not paying attention to the dog, well, that could have been skipped.

Well, bottom line is, if you want to read it, do so. It's short enough it's not much of an investment, and you might just love it. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
  mrsforrest | Nov 17, 2014 |
I saw this book on the barnes and nobles popular book list. I read the whole series (nine books) and I'm glad I did. This series was original and funny. It is the perfect series for anyone who enjoys classic fairytales, The Wizard of Oz, King Arthur, A Midsummer Night's Dream, Alice in Wonderland, The Jungle Book and other famous long ago stories. All these stories and more are featured in this series.
This series is all about Sabrina and Daphne Grimm, who end up moving to Ferryport Landing with their grandmother, where famous legends in stories live. They must help their grandmother solve the mysteries of the town before it is taken over by an evil force.
This book series is like the new "Once Upon a Time" tv series. ( )
  writercity | Aug 13, 2014 |
I can´t hardly wait for the next book in the series! ( )
  lmeza | Feb 6, 2014 |

Michael Buckleyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ferguson, PeterEditormain authorall editionsconfirmed
THE DENSE FOREST BRANCHES scratched at their faces and arms, but Sabrina and Daphne couldn't stop runny, though they had long since passed the point of exhaustion. Fear was fueling each step now.

Another thunderous bellow rang in the distance, followed by the terrible sound of falling trees and shrieking animals.

"We have to find a way to stop it," Daphne cried between gasps.

Sabrina knew her little sister was right. But how? They were two children versus a vicious monster.

"I'll think of something," Sabrina said, dragging her sister behind an enormous oak tree for a much-needed rest. Sabrina squeezed her sister's hand to reassure her, while she forced oxygen into her own burning lungs. Her words were empty. She didn't have a plan. The only thing going on in her head was the thumping of blood roaring through her eardrums. But it made no difference. It had found them. Splintering wood and damp soil rained from the sky as the tree they stood next to was violently uprooted.

The two girls looked up into the horrible face above them and felt hot breath blow through their hair.

What's happened to our lives? Sabrina wondered. When had their world become unrecognizable? And what had happened to her, the eleven-year-old girl who only two days ago had been just an orphan on a train?
In memory of my grandparents, Basil and Relda Gandee
I'm going to die of boredom here, Sabrina Grimm thought as she looked out the train window at Ferryport Landing, New York.

Genre: Comedy and Humour, Mystery and Suspense, Fairy Tales, Fantasy, Series

In paperback for the first time, the Sisters Grimm take readers to a world where fairy tales are fact and not everyone is who they seem!

In book one of this bestselling series, sisters Sabrina and Daphne are sent to live with their mysterious grandmother, Relda Grimm. The sisters learn they are descendants of the Brothers Grimm, whose famous book of fairy tales is actually a collection of case files. The girls are the latest in a long line of fairy-tale detectives, and their new hometown is filled with Everafters (as magical folks like to be called)—some good and some very, very bad. When a mysterious Everafter sets a giant loose on the town, it’s up to the Sisters Grimm to save the day.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:51 -0400)

Orphans Sabrina and Daphne Grimm are sent to live with an eccentric grandmother that they have always believed to be dead.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,801,595 books! | Top bar: Always visible