The Sisters Grimm Book 1: The Fairy-Tale…

The Sisters Grimm Book 1: The Fairy-Tale Detectives (Sisters Grimm) (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Michael Buckley, Peter Ferguson

Member:wjwhitmore
Title:The Sisters Grimm Book 1: The Fairy-Tale Detectives (Sisters Grimm)
Authors:Michael Buckley
Other authors:Peter Ferguson
Info:Amulet (2007), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:***

The Fairy-Tale Detectives by Michael Buckley (2007)

Fablehaven by Brandon Mull (mariah2)
    Theodosia and the Serpents of Chaos by R. L. LaFevers (Rubbah)
    Rubbah: also features funny and bright young female protagonists taking on dark forces
    The Sixty-Eight Rooms by Marianne Malone (kaledrina)
    A Tale Dark and Grimm by Adam Gidwitz (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Fairy tales come to life in these stories inspired by the Grimm Brother's creations. A Tale Dark and Grimm is much more intense and, at times gory, than the lighthearted and funny The Fairy-tale Detectives.

My 5yo daughter really loved this book. It took us all summer and then some to get through this book, but it was worth it. She wasn't too scared and recognized many of the fairy tale characters who star in this "fractured fairy tale." She can't wait to start the second book in this series.

As for me, I really liked it. Too bad that a story about two kick butt sisters and their kick butt grandma ended with them being saved by the bad guy AND the faux-grandson.
  roniweb | May 30, 2019 |
I read this because my granddaughter is reading it; I find it contrived, confusing and weary. Characters dash about and the main character chatters negatively about herself on every other page.
Bah. ( )
  MaryHeleneMele | May 6, 2019 |
This was kind of a pain to get through.

I initially started listening to this on audio at work to pass the time, fully intending to pick it up in the physical form once I got home later that night. When I did physically pick up the book, I discovered how much I did not care about the story or the characters. Passively listening to this unfold on audio was one thing, reading it with actual effort was another.

During the first 45% or so of the book, Sabrina is AWFUL. She's incredibly suspicious, cynical, whiny, and just downright extremely mean. Realistic or not, it was not a great experience listening to her take issue with each and everything she encountered. Had it not been for literally every other character in the story, save for Puck, I would have DNFed the book. However, I only had about three hours left and needed something to keep my mind occupied at work while doing busy work so I decided to finish it. Shockingly, the book picked up both in tone and plot in the last half.

In the second half, the conflict and mystery took a turn I was not anticipating at all and I was pleasantly surprised. Sabrina was no longer completely awful and it wasn't such a chore to listen to the book as it was prior. Near the end, we did have a party scene which featured many well-known fairytale characters and it was fun to figure out who was who before they were introduced. My favorite part of the reading experience was guessing who each person was and because their inclusion picked up towards the end, so did my enjoyment. However, there were a few characters included that I have just ... never considered traditional fairytale characters whatsoever and it was strange.

The book does wrap up with a happy ending, both with the main plot and points to future mysteries in the series. I do not plan to continue with the series but my time spent with book one wasn't entirely bad. ( )
  readbybrit | Apr 16, 2019 |
There are a number of YA books I enjoy relaxing with (most recently Allen Steele's Apollo's Outcasts which is worth reading). Alas, The Fairy-Tale Detectives Cute but not the sort of YA that worked for me but I think kids may like it. ( )
  KateSavage | Mar 29, 2019 |
If you like fairytales you must read this book. It is packed with all the fairytale people/creatures you love...plus the ones you hate. Sisters Sabrina and Daphne Grimm have been orphans since their parents disappeared. Every foster care placement has failed and now they are on to the next, a woman claiming to be their grandmother. Soon after they arrive at their new home in Fairyport, weird things begin to happen. First they meet Mayor Charming and then the farmer's house is destroyed by what appears to be a giant's foot. Their grandmother informs them that they are descended from the Grimm brothers of fairytale fame. All the fairytale characters now live in Fairyport, New York and are immortal. Her grandmother is a fairytale detective. Sabrina doesn't believe any of it and wants to run away. Daphne is a firm believer and is thrilled with her new home.

As the story progresses, it's an absolute field day of fairytale characters. They come at you on every page. It would be time consuming to try to name them all. If you love fairytales, especially fractured ones, then it's impossible not to love this book. Highly recommend. ( )
  valorrmac | Sep 21, 2018 |

Michael Buckleyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ferguson, PeterIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ganser, L. J.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
THE DENSE FOREST BRANCHES scratched at their faces and arms, but Sabrina and Daphne couldn't stop runny, though they had long since passed the point of exhaustion. Fear was fueling each step now.

Another thunderous bellow rang in the distance, followed by the terrible sound of falling trees and shrieking animals.

"We have to find a way to stop it," Daphne cried between gasps.

Sabrina knew her little sister was right. But how? They were two children versus a vicious monster.

"I'll think of something," Sabrina said, dragging her sister behind an enormous oak tree for a much-needed rest. Sabrina squeezed her sister's hand to reassure her, while she forced oxygen into her own burning lungs. Her words were empty. She didn't have a plan. The only thing going on in her head was the thumping of blood roaring through her eardrums. But it made no difference. It had found them. Splintering wood and damp soil rained from the sky as the tree they stood next to was violently uprooted.

The two girls looked up into the horrible face above them and felt hot breath blow through their hair.

What's happened to our lives? Sabrina wondered. When had their world become unrecognizable? And what had happened to her, the eleven-year-old girl who only two days ago had been just an orphan on a train?
In memory of my grandparents, Basil and Relda Gandee
I'm going to die of boredom here, Sabrina Grimm thought as she looked out the train window at Ferryport Landing, New York.

Genre: Comedy and Humour, Mystery and Suspense, Fairy Tales, Fantasy, Series

In paperback for the first time, the Sisters Grimm take readers to a world where fairy tales are fact and not everyone is who they seem!

In book one of this bestselling series, sisters Sabrina and Daphne are sent to live with their mysterious grandmother, Relda Grimm. The sisters learn they are descendants of the Brothers Grimm, whose famous book of fairy tales is actually a collection of case files. The girls are the latest in a long line of fairy-tale detectives, and their new hometown is filled with Everafters (as magical folks like to be called)—some good and some very, very bad. When a mysterious Everafter sets a giant loose on the town, it’s up to the Sisters Grimm to save the day.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:51 -0400)

Orphans Sabrina and Daphne Grimm are sent to live with an eccentric grandmother that they have always believed to be dead.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,736,840 books! | Top bar: Always visible