Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

Decaffeinated Corpse by Cleo Coyle

Decaffeinated Corpse (edition 2007)

by Cleo Coyle

Member:TheLibraryhag
Title:Decaffeinated Corpse
Authors:Cleo Coyle
Info:Prime Crime 2007-07-03 (2007), Edition: First Edition, Paperback
Collections:Your library, Mystery/Thriller Library
Tags:library book, NYC setting, Greenwich Village setting, coffee fiction, cozy, mystery, family

Decaffeinated Corpse by Cleo Coyle

Recently added byDeliciousTales, scoutlee, Jonathan.Holman, nickdreamsong1, elaineberman, private library

Somehow I don't think that if I was standing on a street outside of a highrise building, and a body fell and landed splatt!! right next to me, that I would be calm and basically ignore the event after determining that I didn't know the dead person. Clare seems to be a bit too cool in this cozy but it was entertaining. ( )
  cyderry | Jun 10, 2014 |
I continue to enjoy this series, and [b:Decaffeinated Corpse|89657|Decaffeinated Corpse (Coffehouse Mystery, #5)|Cleo Coyle|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1171163196s/89657.jpg|86532] is a nice addition. Enjoyed the international flair to this story. ( )
  dukefan86 | May 29, 2013 |
I liked it, but it left a little to be desired. I wish that there had been less about coffee and more about the murders, etc. The book is supposed to be a murder/mystery, but those details seemed like an afterthought. ( )
  LaurinLooLoo | Apr 1, 2013 |
This is the 5th book in the coffeehouse mystery series and fits squarely in the cosy category. In this outing Clare Cosi and the crew at the Village Blend coffee shop are doing the unthinkable: becoming major players in the decaf coffee business. An old friend has developed the world's first botanically decaffeinated bean and, if they can all stay alive and out of prison, it should set the coffee-drinking world on fire.

I have all sorts of motivations for choosing particular books and my reasons for reading this series include the fact I love New York and I'm also a bit of a coffee addict and I enjoy all the 'inside-baseball' coffee facts the series offers. This book did have the usual amount of coffee trivia and featured a couple of 'only in New York' moments but, even so, it wasn't as enjoyable as the others in the series. It seemed to have a long and fairly pointless build up (the first murder doesn't occur until half way through the book) and then a very rushed, barely comprehensible resolution. To me it felt like this book fell victim to the 'writing by formula' disease that, unfortunately, some series fall into. The great characters, like Clare's ex mother-in-law Madame Dubois, weren't given room to shine and the plot was just pedestrian.

I admit that with work being frantic and seasonal madness I'm not at my reading best right now but that's the time I usually love to escape with a good cosy and this one just didn't grab me.

bsquaredinoz | Mar 31, 2013 |
a sanger mystery book club selection; gave to group 1/2013
  casebook | Jan 14, 2013 |

coffeehousemysteries.com- At the Village Blend, Clare Cosi’s best baristas may refer to a decaffeinated espresso as a “why bother?”, but Clare knows a good percentage of her customers prefer the neutered brew. So when Ric Gostwick, a charismatically handsome Brazilian, develops the world’s first botanically decaffeinated coffee plant, Clare can see why Matt (her ex-husband and business partner) gets into bed with the deal.
Unfortunately, Ric is also getting into bed with more than one woman. And when an attempted murder happens right outside the Blend’s back door, Clare suspects more than Ric’s revolutionary new plant has its roots in some dirt.
As she begins to investigate Ric’s background and business connections, a trail of clues leads to a pile up of casualties and an international roster of suspects. Now Clare knows she’s got to find the murderer before one of her near and dears takes a fall. Otherwise, her latest addition to the Village Blend menu will prove to be a real buzz killer.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425216381, Mass Market Paperback)

Book #5 in New York Times bestselling author Cleo Coyle's Coffeehouse Mystery series...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:17 -0400)

When an old friend of her ex-husband develops the world's first botanically decaffeinated coffee bean and smuggles it into the country, Clare Cosi, manager of Village Blend, believes it's a business opportunity she needs to investigate...at least until the first dead body shows up.… (more)

Cleo Coyle is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Cleo Coyle chatted with LibraryThing members from Dec 16, 2009 to Dec 30, 2009. Read the chat.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,696,278 books! | Top bar: Always visible