Finding Grace by Alyssa Brugman

Finding Grace

by Alyssa Brugman

1019119,589 (3.64)3

Mesmerizing and heartbreaking and over way too soon. Alyssa Brugman made me care about her characters, believe utterly in their world, and while my mind can't help but continue imagining them long after the pages have run out, I wish I had some concrete glimpse of their future. If not a happily ever after, at least a plateau. Beautifully written, I'll be back for more. ( )
  Capnrandm | Apr 15, 2013 |
I really liked this book. I was looking for something with a more literary feel to it and I found a book with great writing and excellent heart. The author does a great job of juxtaposing learning about Grace, the woman the protagonist is caring for, with Rachel's own growth into understanding herself and finding her path in life.

The only thing I didn't like about this book is that it's in first person. I know that is the trend in YA but for me it makes it harder to get into because I feel like I'm reading a diary instead of living in the world. But that's just my personal issue. Great book. Highly recommended. ( )
  maggiejaimeson | Mar 30, 2013 |
Rachel, 18, has just graduated from high school. She is hired to be a caretaker for a brain-injured woman named Grace. At first Rachel doesn’t think about Grace as a person, but eventually she learns things about Grace that make her want to learn more about the woman and what her life was like before “the accident.”

Older teens will appreciate this coming of age story because the main character is quirky and in the same possition as them: not quite a child, but not quite an adult either. Rachel continuously tells the reader that she "knows everything (well not everything)," but her self confidence breaks as she realizes how little she really understands, or can control. Rachel is also interesting because she is Australian, so some discussion could be based on her dialect. This book could be taught to any kind of group, but I would probably suggest it as an individual read because it has a female main character. ( )
  BookCat13 | Nov 1, 2010 |
This book was an easy read and kept my interest throughout the story. It was interesting to watch Rachel go from thinking she knew everything to really finding out that she did not know as much as she believed. ( )
  LBCBSB | Feb 21, 2008 |
When Rachel works as a caregiver to an unresponsive brain damaged patient, she discovers a box full of letters she wrote before her injury. Discovering the reality of Grace’s past helps Rachel feel more sympathy for her charge and reach out into the community for support and friendship. ( )
  kewpie | Jan 4, 2008 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440238331, Mass Market Paperback)

RACHEL HAS JUST graduated from high school and thinks she knows everything. Well, maybe not quite everything. Then she meets the mysterious Mr. Preston, who offers her a live-in job looking after Grace—a brain injured woman with a lovely house, grasping sisters, feral neighbors, and a box full of unfinished business. As Rachel tries to cope with the demands of her employment and the start of college, she’s also determined to fit together the pieces that were Grace’s former life. The more she finds out about the woman in her care, the more Rachel finds herself.

Children’s Book Council of Australia Awards’ Shortlist for YA

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:58 -0400)

Undecided about her future after graduating from high school, an Australian girl takes a job caring for a brain-damaged woman.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,328,360 books! | Top bar: Always visible