The Sixth Wife: A Novel by Suzannah Dunn

The Sixth Wife: A Novel (edition 2008)

by Suzannah Dunn

Member:dancerengland
Title:The Sixth Wife: A Novel
Authors:Suzannah Dunn
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2008), Paperback, 336 pages

The Sixth Wife by Suzannah Dunn

This is the story of Queen Katherine Parr as told by her friend Catherine, Duchess of Suffolk. It covers the years from Henry VIII's death till Catherine's own in 1548. While some liberty has been taken with the story a lot of facts are correct and it was an enjoyable read. ( )
  slvoight | Mar 31, 2013 |
Amazon summary: A gripping novel of love, passion, betrayal, and heartbreak in the unstable Tudor court following the death of King Henry VIII
Clever, level-headed Katherine Parr has suffered through four years of marriage to the aging and irascible King Henry VIII—and she has survived, unlike the five wives who came before her. But less than a year after the old king's death, her heart is won by the dashing Thomas Seymour, and their hasty union undoes a lifetime of prudent caution.
An unwilling witness to the queen's late-blossoming love, Catherine, Duchess of Suffolk, harbors nagging suspicions of Kate's handsome and ambitious new husband. But as Catherine is drawn deeper into the web of politics ensnaring her oldest friend, it gradually becomes clear that she has her own dark tale to tell. For though Thomas might betray his wife for power, Catherine might betray her for passion, risking everything she has in a world where love is a luxury not even royalty can easily afford. ( )
  dalzan | Jan 24, 2013 |
I was really looking forward to this book, I had read another by this author earlier in the year and liked it quite a bit. And I liked this too, but it took me a bit of time to adjust to the viewpoint and way of speaking in this one.

The book is told from the viewpoint of Catherine of Suffolk, the last wife of Charles Brandon, who was a great friend to Henry VIII. Cathy, completely by coincidence, is a great friend of Katherine Parr, Henry’s sixth and final wife, and we pick up the story right after Kate marries Thomas Seymour, going through the last year or so of her life.

To read the rest of my review, please visit:
http://www.dorolerium.com/?p=3029 ( )
  dorolerium | Oct 11, 2011 |
Another disappointing novel from Suzannah Dunn (although nowhere near as bad as The Confession of Catherine Howard). The focus is Katherine Parr, Henry VII's last queen, in her brief marriage to her fourth husband, Thomas Seymour, and the narrator is Catherine Brandon, third wife and now widow of Charles Brandon, Duke of Suffolk. While it sounds promising, Dunn manages to make all of her characters either insipid or despicable. "Kate" Parr, a four-times wed woman in her mid-thirties, is so naive that she has no clue that her new husband is an ambitious bounder, and she indulges his spendthrift ways. Worse still, the friend she has called on to help her through a difficult pregnancy ends up bonking her husband on a regular basis--and this is the narrator, so with whom are we supposed to identify or empathize? On top of that, she obviously detests the young Elizabeth, who is rendered extremely unlikeable, constantly rolling her eyes at what anyone else says, and Jane Grey is depicted as a Protestant fanatic and a stick-in-the-mud, even though she is only 10 years old. One of Dunn's most annoying and anachronistic tricks from The Confession of Catherine Howard shows up again: Characters repeatedly greet one another with "Hello, you," or in some cases, they just stare at one another and say, "You." (I hated this in another book not by Dunn, Lori Larsen's The Girls; it's just so irritating and phony.)

So all-in-all, there's not much to be commended here, and I'll be giving away the thrid Dunn on my shelf without bothering to read it. I'm sure I'd only find Anne Boleyn gazing at King Henry and murmuring "You," and that would truly make me retch. ( )
4 vote Cariola | Apr 2, 2011 |
The Sixth Wife by Suzannah Dunn

Setting: England 1547-1548

Henry VIII has just died leaving his sixth wife, Katherine Parr, a widow. Henry’s nine year old son, Edward, is now King of England. Katherine, commonly referred to as Kate by her closest friends, was known as the Protestant Queen of England. Kate was known to be intelligent, kind, and dignified.

Synopsis: Right after the death of Henry, Kate rushed into a secret elopement with one of her closest friends, Thomas Seymour. Catherine, the Duchess of Sulfolk has been Kate’s lifelong friend since childhood. Catherine felt hurt and betrayed that her dearest friend did not confide in her about marrying Thomas. Cathy did not trust Thomas. It was no hidden secret that Thomas once sought after the hand of the little Princess Elizabeth who is now his Stepdaughter.

She questioned his motives for marrying Kate. Was it for money, surely not for royalty or children? Kate has been barren all her life and she no longer was Queen of England, but instead the Dowager Queen of England. Kate seems happy now and so Catherine tries not to make a big deal about her sudden marriage to Thomas. So instead, she takes it upon herself to try and solve the mystery behind the mysterious Thomas Seymour. Soon Catherine feels herself trapped in a dark secret of her own. She’s now faced with her loyalty to her friend and the risk of losing everything she loves and holds dear to her heart.

Opinion: This book, I regretfully admit, was a disappointment through and through. I was looking forward to getting to know Katherine Parr and her struggles as the last wife of Henry VIII. Unfortunately, that wasn’t the case. Instead, I got to know everything about Catherine, the Duchess of Suffolk and Thomas Seymour, but not so much Katherine.

Catherine was the narrator throughout the entire book, which was disappointing in itself. The book was dry and the characters weren’t well developed. Upon reading the first chapter, I was lost. I had no idea what was going on because it’s like I was reading from the end of the book instead of from the beginning. So this caused me to feel like there was a piece missing like I was completely out of the loop with the characters. I think if Katherine had been the narrator and there was a little more background to Katherine’s life in the beginning then I might have enjoyed it a little more.

So unfortunately, this was a disappointment I don’t really recommend it. I haven’t given up on Suzannah Dunn yet. I will definitely read another of her books when I come across one. For more of my reviews and news check out my site: http://allthingshistoricalfiction.blogspot.com/ ( )
  HistoricalFictionFan | Nov 18, 2010 |

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:27 -0400)

'The Sixth Wife' is a gripping novel of love, passion, betrayal and heartbreak. Catharine Parr survived Henry VIII to find true love with Thomas Seymour - only to realise that her love was based on a lie.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,770,000 books! | Top bar: Always visible