dismiss

Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie

Midnight's Children (1981)

by Salman Rushdie

11,661212369 (4.06)1 / 909
In India, one thousand and one children are born in the hour following the midnight commemorating the country's independence from British rule. And of those children, none is more entwined with the destiny of that land thatn Saleem Sinai, he of dubious birth and a nose of astounding proportion. Discovering a psychic connection with midnight's other thousand, Saleem recounts a life both reflecting and recreating the modern history of his oft-troubled homeland.… (more)
    One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (Nickelini)
    The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy (GoST)
    The Tin Drum by Günter Grass (GabrielF, CGlanovsky)
    GabrielF: I think Rushdie based a lot of his style in Midnight's Children on The Tin Drum. Both books are historical epics told through the perspective of a child with strange powers.
    CGlanovsky: A boy bound to the destiny of his birthplace. Surreal elements.
    The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie (BGP)
    Train to Pakistan by Khushwant Singh (pamelad)
    pamelad: Also set during Partition.
    Kim by Rudyard Kipling (Gregorio_Roth)
    Gregorio_Roth: The book is a modern interpretation of KIM in a number of ways. I think it will complete your point of view on Imperialism and India.
    The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov (BGP)
    The Moor's Last Sigh by Salman Rushdie (wrmjr66)
    wrmjr66: I think The Moor's Last Sigh is Rushdie's best book since Midnight's Children.
    Island of a Thousand Mirrors: A Novel by Nayomi Munaweera (evilmoose)
    The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende (amyblue)
1980s (15)
Asia (43)
1960s (102)
hopes (11)

English (199)  French (3)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  Czech (1)  Danish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  Polish (1)  All languages (212)
I was going to rate it 3 stars but the ending really got to me ( )
  TheWordReaper | May 27, 2020 |
Not an easy read by any means, hard to keep straight everything that's going on between the history going on in the background and the personal history in the foreground. ( )
  charlie68 | May 23, 2020 |
From Kashmir in the early 1900s to the emergency, tracing the life of Saleem whom all the events of India's independence, partition and eventual emergency centres around. Would I have enjoyed as much hadn't I lived in India? Not sure, but regardless of how accessible the context of the book is to you - the way the story is told is quite amazing. ( )
  linuskendall | Mar 22, 2020 |
Salman Rushdie appeared again on the Booker Longlist last week and I am having a second attempt at his previous winner in 1981, and winner of winners in the prize’s 25th and 40th anniversary years, Midnight’s Children (Vintage). Able to give it time, I am loving this veritable salmagundi of a book that presents history through the magic of storytelling. It amply rewards the perseverance that failed me the first time. ( )
  davidroche | Mar 5, 2020 |
This is an excellent 350-page book buried within 647 pages. Yes, Rushdie’s writing can be beautiful, and yes there is a great story here, but there is also an awful lot of turgid rubbish. That whole piece in the Sundarbans? I was tempted to skip it, and Padma’s interjections seemed superfluous too. I’m glad I read this, and I like the way Rushdie wove Saleem Sinai’s life into the history of India since Partition, but there’s also a little too much self-indulgence and self-importance. We know you can write, Salman. You don’t have to prove it by writing behemoths all the time.

I’m inclined to believe that even Rushdie was getting a little bored with this book. Parts 1 & 2 had many amusing moments (I particularly loved Naseem Aziz Reverend Mother whatsitsname), but by part 3 it was taking itself far too seriously and it became a struggle to get to the end ( )
  TheEllieMo | Jan 18, 2020 |
Midnight's Children is a teeming fable of postcolonial India, told in magical-realist fashion by a telepathic hero born at the stroke of midnight on the day the country became independent. First published in 1981, it was met with little immediate excitement.
added by mikeg2 | editThe Guardian, Lindesay Irvine (Jul 10, 2008)

"The literary map of India is about to be redrawn. . . . What [English-language fiction about India] has been missing is . . . something just a little coarse, a hunger to swallow India whole and spit it out. . . . Now, in 'Midnight's Children,' Salman Rushdie has realized that ambition."
added by GYKM | editNew York Times, Clarke Blaise (Apr 19, 1981)

Rushdie, Salmanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Capriolo, EttoreTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Davidson, AndrewCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Howard, IanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuchart, MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Versluys, MarijkeEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Zafar Rushdie
who, contrary to all expectations,
was born in the afternoon.
I was born in the city of Bombay . . . once upon a time.
Please distinguish among:

-- Salman Rushdie's original 1981 novel, Midnight's Children;

-- Rushdie's 1999 screenplay adaptation (with introduction) of the novel, having the same title; and

-- The 2003 stage play, Salman Rushdie's Midnight's Children, adapted for theater by Rushdie, Tim Supple and Simon Reade.

Thank you.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,527,002 books! | Top bar: Always visible