Winning Colours by Elizabeth Moon

Winning Colours (edition 1999)

by Elizabeth Moon

Member:justjim
Title:Winning Colours
Authors:Elizabeth Moon
Info:Orbit (1999), Paperback, 416 pages
Tags:Serrano legacy

Winning Colors by Elizabeth Moon

(6) adventure (3) book (3) Book 3 (4) ebook (4) Familias Regnant (15) female protagonist (4) fiction (60) have read (3) Heris Serrano (14) horses (6) military (18) military sf (15) mmpb (3) own (6) paperback (13) pb (4) read (10) science fiction (188) series (9) Serrano (11) Serrano Legacy (31) sf (40) sff (17) space opera (36) space travel (4) speculative fiction (4) to-read (6) unread (5) war (3)

English (6)  French (1)  All languages (7)
Third in a series of a young woman rising (up to point) through a space navy. I like the earlier ones in the series but somehow have mot been able to get through this one, though I have had it for years. The problem is that a major aspect of the future society is the effects of a longevity drug (only available to the rich) which I find both plausible and unpleasant. ( )
  antiquary | Jun 18, 2014 |
My first Elizabeth Moon, after years of wondering what she was like. I was pretty pleased; I'd use the adjective Heinleinesque in the best possible way. It's not surprising; she shares a background in the millitary and a love of fencing, and works a certain free-and-easy sexuality into the book.

To narrow the comparison to Heinlein down, I'd compare to say Starship Troopers or Moon is a Harsh Mistress she works in her ruminations on society and politics, but it doesn't overwhelm the narrative in the mode of a Stranger in a Strange Land.

All-in-all I enjoyed it, and I'll be looking to read more of Moon's work. ( )
  hroethgar | Apr 27, 2013 |
Heris Serrano may be the captain of an old lady's space yacht, but her life is by no means complacent. Their recent adventures have left the government in turmoil, with rival planetary systems poised to take advantage. Fortunately, Heris knows she's no longer in disgrace within her former employers, the space military; indeed, her aunt--an admiral--has expressed confidence in Heris' abilities. She'll need that confidence and more as she's forced to defend a backwards agricultural planet against the invading forces of the Compassionate Hand.

This book carried more action like Moon's Vatta's War series, but it still didn't have that same consistent suspense and likeable cast. This is probably the strongest book of the three about Heris Serrano, but I was still left with questions and frustrated that some promising characters didn't have a larger role. A good read, but not phenomenal. ( )
  ladycato | Jun 1, 2010 |
It's interesting how the author can describe someone in just a few sentences and you know just how dispicable they are. Those paragraphs are always hard for me to read. I have to put the book down for a bit, but I always come back. Everything works out in the end, which is how I like my stories. ( )
  c.pergiel | Jan 23, 2010 |
As a result of the happenings in Sporting Chance Heris finds herself owner of Sweet Delight. Initially she takes Lady Cecelia as a charter but suddenly finds herself commanding what for all practical reasons is a Fleet operation.

Intertwined with this is the Famous Five style adventure of the youngsters, as they get sent out to do some covert investigations no adults would be able to handle.

With this as a backdrop there is some elaboration on what happens in a society when those in power never grow old, never turn things over to the next generation; or the stratification that results when the rich lives on forever while the working classes gets born, live and die, without ever getting a chance to change their situation without violence. This theme never grows very strong, though, and those wishing for a more complex padding to this adventure will wait in vain.

Despite this I really enjoyed this book, just as I enjoyed the previous two. ( )
  Busifer | Jun 7, 2009 |

Elizabeth Moonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mattingly,DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This one's for Mary Morell, who introduced me to science fiction in the ninth grade, and then insisted the wonderful (!) stories I wrote in high school were lousy. (She was right).And for Ellen McLean, who refused to be my friend in first grade, only to be a better friend later than anyone could ask. And for all the horses, from the horses next door to the little bay mare who presently has her nose in my feed bucket, who enriched my life with everything from (a few) broken bones to the feel of going at speed across country.
Conspirators come in two basic flavors, Ottala thought.
This work is the FULL novel of Winning Colors by Elizabeth Moon. Please do not combine it with Winning Colors, Part 1, as they are two different works.

From the back cover:

"...The difficult we do immediately. The Impossible may take a little longer..."

Booted from the fleet as her reward for saving a villainous superior from catastrophe. Heris Serrano has been making time captaining a rich lady's interstellar yacht. But though she was hired only to chauffeur Lady Cecelia from pleasure to pleasure aboard the good ship Sweet Delight, things happen when Serrano is around.
After saving Prince Royal in Hunting Party, and deposing the prince's father in Sporting Chance (with the enthusiastic assistance of her 90-yr-old employer, who has never had so much fun in her life.). Heris has at last been offered a chance for vindication and reinstatement in her beloved space navy. All she has to do is save the galaxy from an interstellar mafia gone berserk.
The first step will take one destroyer, two PT boats, one ore scow, and - oy yes - the space yacht, Sweet Delight, and stop an invading fleet dead in its tracks. Impossible?
Well, it may take some time...

Captaining a rich lady's interstellar pleasure yacht, former navy fleet officer Heris Serrano finds an opportunity to restore her tarnished reputation by intercepting mafia plans to invade the galaxy.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,478,348 books! | Top bar: Always visible