War on the Saints: The Original And…

War on the Saints: The Original And Unabridged Version (edition 2005)

by Jessie Penn-Lewis

201298,640 (3)None
There is much we can learn from earlier outpourings of the Holy Spirit -- spiritual wisdom that will help prepare us for the last days. This book explains vital principles for spiritual warfare and identifies keys to overcoming the powers of darkness. Using the authority given to us by God, we can reign with Christ over the forces of evil.… (more)
Member:JESUSisLORD
Title:War on the Saints: The Original And Unabridged Version
Authors:Jessie Penn-Lewis
Info:Diggory Press (2005), Paperback

War on the Saints by Jessie Penn-Lewis

"Some More On the Ain'ts" could be an alternative title.

Let me clarify: Undoubtedly Mrs. Jessie Penn-Lewis could be classified as a Pentecostal, yet she is that rare breed, which other Pentecostals despise: a thinking Pentecostal. I first heard of her in Roberts Liardon's book "God's Generals". There she was painted as a dubious figure who kidnapped Evan Roberts, who was then held captive in Mr. and Mrs. Penn-Lewis' home.

Now, I believe this is what happened: "God's Generals" admits Evan Roberts had some sort of nervous breakdown. It's not surprising, given his errant theology of non-theology. He placed experience above all, including the Word of God. Roberts Liardon painted the picture that Mrs. Penn-Lewis perhaps had an unwholesome relationship with Evan Roberts, and that she took advantage of using his name, to further her own writing career. Well, it's a blessed thing that she did do the latter.

I consider Mrs. Penn-Lewis an honest critic of the Welsh revival. She was witness to a great many unscriptural, ridiculous and dangerous things accredited to the Holy Spirit. In this book, she lays out proper doctrine, side-by-side with the heretical goings-on she witnessed, and which Evan Roberts no doubt facilitated. The evidence points that what Evan Roberts was doing in her household was being rehabilitated, being educated, being taught the true Gospel of Christ. Anyone can have an experience. Without the foundation of the Word beneath us, experience cannot be trusted. LSD gives an experience.

I don't agree with everything in "War on the Saints" but I do agree with much of it. Anyone worried by the influx of superstitious heretical mysticism into Pentecostalism, into now what is called the Charismatic movement, would garner much from this read. Mrs. Penn-Lewis was not a Calvinist, was not a cessationist, nor a skeptic. She was a Spirit-filled woman on a mission to right what went wrong at the closing of the Welsh Revival. Many actually blame her for stamping out the revival. To that I can only shake my head in unbelief. A person, such as Evan Roberts, running on fumes and gasses will naturally exhaust and collapse. Mrs. Penn-Lewis was there to pick up the man, and make sense of it all.

Mrs. Penn-Lewis calls for a return of reason and logic into the sphere of Charismata. It is a call that has gone unheeded. The consequence is tragic: doctrines of devils, and no end to deception, delusion, and false prophets. I firmly believe the Great Falling Away will on one side be liberal theologians who deny the Truth, and on the other, those Charismatics who have twisted the truth, to fit their experiences. The people in the middle, who balance intellect, emotion, and will, placing not one over the other, walk the narrow path, with the Sword of the Spirit firmly grasped, the belt of Truth holding their trousers up.

This is a warning to the Charismatic Christian:

Matthew 7:22,23: "Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity." ( )
1 vote endersreads | May 22, 2012 |
After the 1904/05 Welsh revival, the authors try to analyze what went wrong.

This is a highly controversial book, being neither unconditionally pro- nor anti-pentecostal. There even seem to be several, more or less "unabridged" versions of War on the Saints:

"When I got home, I pulled out the unabridged 1912 edition my brother had given me and compared it with the so-called 'unabridged' edition I found at the store, only to find out that the books were only remotely similar, much less the exact same book. The chapter names were completely different. I couldn't even FIND the first chapter of the so-called 'unabridged' edition in the 1912 edition. In the places that I could recognize similarity between passages, many words had been changed that reduced the effectiveness of the passage. I began to notice immediately that the editors of the so-called 'unabridged' edition agreed with the editors of the more honest abridged editions: they disagreed with Mrs. Penn-Lewis' belief that believers could be controlled by demons, or that they were in need of deliverance, after conversion." (www.apostasynow.com)

The original 1912 text is available at:
- http://www.apostasynow.com/wots/Contents.html
- http://www.acts1711.com/Contents.html
plus some diagrams at:
- http://www.acts1711.com/diagram.html

Unabridged editions in German:
- Krieg den Heiligen, translated by Gräfin Sigrid Kanitz, Überwinder Verlag, ca. 1912?
- Der bedrohte Christ, translated by Jörg Michael, Werner Klingspohn, Exodus Verlag, 2002

English Editions I know of:
- Whitaker House (1996), ISBN 0883684551- is ABRIDGED
- Diggory Press (2005), ISBN 190536301X - claims: "This is the true unabridged version which is totally different from the other versions currently on sale."
3 vote hnau | Feb 27, 2008 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,431,803 books! | Top bar: Always visible