Born On A Blue Day: Inside the Extraordinary…

Born On A Blue Day: Inside the Extraordinary Mind of an Autistic Savant (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Daniel Tammet

Member:elvisettey
Title:Born On A Blue Day: Inside the Extraordinary Mind of an Autistic Savant
Authors:Daniel Tammet
Info:Free Press (2007), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 256 pages
Collections:Your library, memoirs, Read in 2013
Tags:Aspergers, autism, autistic savants, autobiography, British, England, epilepsy, gay, genius, mathematics, memoirs, mental health, non-fiction, numbers, psychology, savants, synesthesia, pi, childhood, diagnoses, relationships, families, schools, languages, computers, programs

Born on a Blue Day: Inside the Extraordinary Mind of an Autistic Savant: A Memoir by Daniel Tammet (2006)

Recently added byprivate library, Pages_Aplenty, kgriffith, DGSBiblio, HertfordLC, stephanie.croaning, lacop

English (69)  Dutch (2)  French (2)  Italian (2)  German (1)  All languages (76)
This isn't a book you read for pleasure, but for understanding. If you don't know someone on the autism spectrum, this may be a hard one to enjoy. ( )
  limamikealpha | Jun 5, 2014 |
I have to say I did not like this book very much. I had anticipated that I would enjoy it and it would give me some insight into the workings of a mind quite different from the norm, but I am as confused as I ever was about high functioning autism and savant syndrome. I recently became reconnected to a cousin who was several years younger than myself, who as a child I perceived as "kind of weird", but he recently told me he was autistic, but I came to realize he has special gifts when I came into possession of about 1,000 family photos that had been in his mother's house and he was able to identify everyone in the photos, and knew birth and death dates for many of our distant relatives, and even knew the burial places of many. So with that in mind I read this book cover to cover and ended up thinking that all the people in the author's life, especially his parents, had to have been saints to put up with what they did, starting with the author as a baby crying endlessly, continuing through his childhood acting so self absorbed with everyone catering to his every whim. His explanation of seeing words as colors and textures made no sense at all to me. The word "ladder" is blue and shiny, the word "jersey" is yellow, Tuesdays are a warm color, Thursdays are fuzzy. Huh? To me it made as much sense as someone telling me they are looking at a piano but seeing a toaster. I mean no disrespect to anyone dealing with this disease, but his explanations did not help me to understand how he can learn languages so quickly or memorize 22,000 digits of pi.
I found it disturbing when his mother took him for a play day with a little girl, and because she interrupted him several times, he hit her and nobody did anything other than to remove him from the situation. He seemed too old at that point to have so little control. As he got even older, he was annoyed with everything it seemed. People drop by and interrupt his rigid schedule, he doesn't like that. People invading his personal space, he doesn't like that. Loud sounds, crowds, conversations about something he is not interested in, and on and on.
The one area I was impressed with was his courage traveling so far on his own to Lithuania, despite having to leave his home and parents.
I really hate to be negative about a book written by someone facing difficulties that I do not have, but I found it to be boring and not a good read at all ( )
  EllenCam | Apr 17, 2014 |
I couldn't finish this one. I kept trying to read it because it was a book club book, but I finally gave up when it was due at the library. ( )
  CharityBradford | Apr 1, 2014 |
  CharityBradford | Apr 1, 2014 |
This seems to be a boring, poorly-written account of a very interesting person's life. I just don't buy many of the claims that are made. ( )
  ScribbleKey | Jan 10, 2014 |
To my parents, for helping me become the person I am today and to Neil, for always being there for me.
I was born on January 31, 1979 - a Wednesday.

A journey into one of the most fascinating minds alive today--guided by its owner. Daniel Tammet sees numbers as shapes, colors, and textures, and he can perform extraordinary calculations in his head. He can learn new languages from scratch, in a week. He has savant syndrome, a rare condition that gives him almost unimaginable mental powers. But in one crucial way Daniel is not at all like the Rain Man: he is virtually unique among autistic people in that he is capable of living an independent life. He is even able to explain what is happening inside his head. Starting from early childhood, when he was incapable of making friends and prone to tantrums, to young adulthood, when he learned how to control himself and to live independently, fell in love, experienced a religious conversion to Christianity, and most recently, emerged as a celebrity.--From publisher description.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,940,351 books! | Top bar: Always visible