Cooking School Secrets For Real-World Cooks…

Cooking School Secrets For Real-World Cooks

by Linda Carucci

Back to school
Linda Carucci, winner of a prestigious Cooking Teacher of the Year award, has put her classroom knowledge between the covers of "Cooking School Secrets for Real World Cooks" (Chronicle, $23). She opens with general tips on equipment and technique, but those impatient to skip to the recipes will find tips sprinkled throughout those margins too.

Her rock-simple garlicky chicken breasts are now the preferred quick chicken fix in my household. If I remember in the morning to toss frozen breasts into a Ziploc with Carucci's simple marinade together before heading to work, I'm guaranteed tender, flavorful meat that can be served in a multitude of ways when I return home.

Carucci notes that she grew up eating hearty Italian food and just assumed everyone else did the same. Raised myself on an Italian aunt's long-simmered spaghetti sauce, I was skeptical of Carucci's rigatoni with sausage and mushroom ragu recipe, in which the sauce was much quicker. Surprise, surprise, it was a divine delight, and none the worse for its speedy prep time. And I know I'll be making the sweet, melt-in-your-mouth savory corn pudding again.

When I made some recipes, I found myself skipping Carucci's "recipe secrets," the tips listed in the margins. But when I tried a dessert, grilled peach sundaes with caramel sauce, I found each of the offered tips to be useful ones, kind of like getting a recipe from your mom over the phone and having her add in tips learned from a lifetime of cooking. —G.F.C.

GaelFC | Nov 3, 2006 |

You'll find here over 100 great recipes - everything from soups and salads, pastas and risottos, main courses and side dishes, and, of course, fabulous desserts - plus hundreds of shortcuts, techniques, fascinating facts, and indispensable guidelines to equipment and methods that will make good food great.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,427,817 books! | Top bar: Always visible