The Invisible Man by H. G. Wells

The Invisible Man (1897)

by H. G. Wells

English (134)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  Hungarian (1)  French (1)  Hebrew (1)  German (1)  All languages (145)
The Invisible Man is a story of a brilliant mind declining into madness. The unexpected disadvantages of being invisible take him by surprise and he becomes selfish and completely uncaring of anything else other than his own comfort. Not that he was much better when he was visible.'I had impunity to do whatever I chose, everything - save to give away my secret.' This is not the first time I've read this story and it probably won't be the last. It is, however, the first time I've been annoyed by other characters. Griffin, the invisible scientist, deserves punishment. He becomes a monster, after all.

This time I spent the first part of the book being enraged by the behaviour of Mrs. Hall, her dumb husband and her nosy, gossipy friends. The man comes to her inn, takes a room and, yes, he is a bit unpleasant and doesn't like to chat, but they pushed and pushed and pushed until he snapped. I am not saying he wouldn't snap anyway, but still. Nor am I justifying Griffin's actions in any way, but these people are the last ones who should throw stones at anyone.
Later too, when the action moves to another place, you see one man watching another, who is being pursued, through his barred door, doing nothing to help him. He doesn't have the luxury of knowledge as we do. Science turning against its creator isn't the only issue in this book.

I did feel sympathy towards Griffin occasionally. That would usually last until he opened his mouth or started thinking. ( )
  Irena. | Jan 28, 2016 |
Power corrupts. Wells shows us that we crave that corruption. A wonderful adventure into which Wells sews a warning and entertains us along the way. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
A cloaked and heavily bandaged man has rented a room in a small English village. At first the innkeepers are merely curious about their new guest but soon their curiosity turns to suspicion as the man seems to have violent fits of temper as he fiddles with his bottles of chemicals. It is soon apparent to everyone that the stranger is abnormal in some way but they are stunned when it is revealed that the gentleman is invisible. The invisible man, named Griffin, soon becomes the quarry of the townspeople and although Griffin tries to find a like-minded scientist to assist him, the prevailing fear of all who have heard of him will force him to remain alone and hunted.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was comical and tragic all at the same time. Griffin was not always a likeable character having an irascible temper and quite an ego but in the end I couldn't help but feel sorry for him. Betrayed over and over again, he could trust no one to help him. Once he thought he had found the perfect person to assist him, Dr. Kemp, he was cruelly betrayed yet again which led to an agonizing final showdown. I recommend this one.
1 vote Ellen_R | Jan 15, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this. It caught my attention and kept it the whole way through. ( )
  Lynsey2 | Jan 15, 2016 |

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

The stranger came early in February one wintry day, through a biting wind and a driving snow, the last snowfall of the year, over the down, walking as it seemed from Bramblehurst railway station and carrying a little black portmanteau in his thickly gloved hand.
This is the main work for The Invisible Man by H. G. Wells. Do not combine with any adaptation (e.g. film), abridgement, omnibus containing additional works, etc.

On a cold day in February, a stranger arrives in the village of Iping. He wears gloves and dark glasses, even inside, and his face is covered in bandages. Soon crimes occur that cannot be explained, and the townspeople realize the unthinkable truth: the strange man is invisible--and he is slowly going mad. The Invisible Man is a dangerous enemy who must be stopped. But if no one can see him, how can he be caught?
Wells was well, what wells
was was wells-nuts-was wells
welcomed when well wells?
(SomeGuyInVirginia)

Drugs can be harmful.
Voice from the mouth of a well.
Insert meaning here.
(SomeGuyInVirginia)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451528522, Mass Market Paperback)

This masterpiece of science fiction is the fascinating story of Griffin, a scientist who creates a serum to render himself invisible, and his descent into madness that follows.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:05 -0400)

The tale of a scientist who discovers how to make his body become invisible, but, when he can't make himself visible again, becomes violently insane.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014143998X, 014119491X, 0141389516

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100666, 1400108578

McFarland

An edition of this book was published by McFarland.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,216,323 books! | Top bar: Always visible