The Invisible Man by H. G. Wells

The Invisible Man (1897)

by H. G. Wells

English (160)  Spanish (5)  German (2)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  Hebrew (1)  French (1)  Hungarian (1)  All (172)
Surprisingly more action than I thought the novel would have (after reading the disappointing Jekyll & Hyde last year, anyway). The Invisible Man seems to be a bad dude. Definitely not a misunderstood villain, just because he is invisible, which is what I was expecting. This invisible man could have written the book on terrorism. I thought the plot kept its pace and was the perfect length. The writing itself wasn't as great as I wished though. ( )
  booklove2 | Jan 3, 2018 |
I am such a geek. My favorite part of this book is the Invisible Man's brief lecture on how light and invisibility work, midway through the book. For a day, in the background of my brain I was designing camp curriculum's around it.

So, H.G. Wells has a reputation for a reason. This book is compulsively readable, if a tad old-fashioned. It does suffer the problem of being a book in which the main character is impossible to like. Though it does serve as a rather thorough argument that invisibility is not a fantastic superpower to have, and that it certainly does not free you of your dependence on other human beings. If anything, it makes that dependency sharper. Also, how much of our trust of people hinges on being able to see their face?

More pulp than psychological thriller, but I'm okay with that. ( )
  greeniezona | Dec 1, 2017 |
The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells is a classic science-fiction story originally published in 1897. This tale verges on horror as a student of science, Griffin involves himself into research in optics and invents a way to render the body invisible. At first gleeful with his transformation, he becomes more and more angry when he realizes he cannot find a way to reverse the invisibility.

There is very little to like about Griffin who appeared to be a selfish, self-centered individual. He is described as a man of random temper given to bouts of heedless violence. His altered condition was extremely difficult to live with and this only made him more angry, more violent and a threat to all that he met.

I quite enjoyed this story. Although it was a little dated, I liked the angle the author took, showing how terrible and isolating this condition could be. This dark tale didn’t hesitate to show the mental instability of the main character whose revenge driven cruelty and fury toward others made it very difficult to feel any sympathy towards him. The Invisible Man is a classic sci-fi morality tale that holds up well. ( )
2 vote DeltaQueen50 | Nov 25, 2017 |
This book wasn't really to my taste, but I appreciated the story idea, humor, and writing. I believe I would have liked it much more had it been written from the POV of the Invisible Man so that we would know why he chose to walk away from his original laboratory and move everything into this backwater area. I would think the move alone would create problems of its own in that he would not have his ideal laboratory set up, and his experiments would suffer as a result - if for no other reason than from lack of familiarity of placement of the chemicals, test tubes, bottles, etc. ( )
  whymaggiemay | Oct 23, 2017 |
Great read. Man.........this guy is a jerk. But I guess karma comes full circle. ( )
  Joe73 | Oct 16, 2017 |

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

The stranger came early in February one wintry day, through a biting wind and a driving snow, the last snowfall of the year, over the down, walking as it seemed from Bramblehurst railway station and carrying a little black portmanteau in his thickly gloved hand.
This is the main work for The Invisible Man by H. G. Wells. Do not combine with any adaptation (e.g. film), abridgement, omnibus containing additional works, etc.

Wells was well, what wells
was was wells-nuts-was wells
welcomed when well wells?
(SomeGuyInVirginia)

Drugs can be harmful.
Voice from the mouth of a well.
Insert meaning here.
(SomeGuyInVirginia)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451528522, Mass Market Paperback)

This masterpiece of science fiction is the fascinating story of Griffin, a scientist who creates a serum to render himself invisible, and his descent into madness that follows.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:05 -0400)

The tale of a scientist who discovers how to make his body become invisible, but, when he can't make himself visible again, becomes violently insane.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014143998X, 014119491X, 0141389516

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100666, 1400108578

McFarland

An edition of this book was published by McFarland.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,749,141 books! | Top bar: Always visible