The Invisible Man by H. G. Wells

The Invisible Man (1897)

by H. G. Wells

English (128)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  Hungarian (1)  French (1)  Hebrew (1)  German (1)  All languages (139)
H. G. Well's classic story of mad science gone wrong.

My knowledge of the story was most definitely formed by the movies and cultural references and it was not at all what I was expecting. I found this book to me much more engaging and easy to read then I had been expected, I tend to have trouble reading older writing styles.

I had always assumed this story was about a man driven mad after using himself as a Guinea pig and instead found it to be about a sociopath who lost all impulse control after using himself as a Guinea pig. It made it very had to care or feel and sympathy for the character but it was still a fascinating read
I enjoyed the science, as impossible as it is, and it did make me think and try to figure out how such a thing would effect the human body. For example, how would he see?

An enjoyable look at science and science fictions past that was well worth the read. ( )
  Kellswitch | Nov 24, 2015 |
The Invisible Man is a story of a brilliant mind declining into madness. The unexpected disadvantages of being invisible take him by surprise and he becomes selfish and completely uncaring of anything else other than his own comfort. Not that he was much better when he was visible.'I had impunity to do whatever I chose, everything - save to give away my secret.' This is not the first time I've read this story and it probably won't be the last. It is, however, the first time I've been annoyed by other characters. Griffin, the invisible scientist, deserves punishment. He becomes a monster, after all.

This time I spent the first part of the book being enraged by the behaviour of Mrs. Hall, her dumb husband and her nosy, gossipy friends. The man comes to her inn, takes a room and, yes, he is a bit unpleasant and doesn't like to chat, but they pushed and pushed and pushed until he snapped. I am not saying he wouldn't snap anyway, but still. Nor am I justifying Griffin's actions in any way, but these people are the last ones who should throw stones at anyone.
Later too, when the action moves to another place, you see one man watching another, who is being pursued, through his barred door, doing nothing to help him. He doesn't have the luxury of knowledge as we do. Science turning against its creator isn't the only issue in this book.

I did feel sympathy towards Griffin occasionally. That would usually last until he opened his mouth or started thinking. ( )
  Irena. | Nov 3, 2015 |
Not sure why I expected more but I certainly did. I'm sure it was quite a thing when it was written, but this feels almost trivial by now. ( )
  xMMynsOtcgan5Gd47 | Sep 15, 2015 |
Great book! by my favorite auther, Hubert George Wells (who has sadly been dead for a very long time)
for sci-fi fans, you'll love this! ( )
  SJPluvsMS | Aug 13, 2015 |
When this story began I was rather sympathetic to the Invisible Man, and enjoyed the story which was written in 1897. Stories this old are apt to improve one's vocabulary and bring back expressions probably heard from my grandparents. The tale took an unexpected twist for me, and my sympathy for a scientist who perhaps didn't realize the consequences of his actions was dashed. Instead we find we have a story of a sociopath, a man who seems to have been mad at the world from his college years. We can distill this down to "mad scientist" I believe. ( )
  RBeffa | Feb 26, 2015 |

Is contained in

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Has as a student's study guide

The stranger came early in February one wintry day, through a biting wind and a driving snow, the last snowfall of the year, over the down, walking as it seemed from Bramblehurst railway station and carrying a little black portmanteau in his thickly gloved hand.
This is the main work for The Invisible Man by H. G. Wells. Do not combine with any adaptation (e.g. film), abridgement, omnibus containing additional works, etc.

On a cold day in February, a stranger arrives in the village of Iping. He wears gloves and dark glasses, even inside, and his face is covered in bandages. Soon crimes occur that cannot be explained, and the townspeople realize the unthinkable truth: the strange man is invisible--and he is slowly going mad. The Invisible Man is a dangerous enemy who must be stopped. But if no one can see him, how can he be caught?
Wells was well, what wells
was was wells-nuts-was wells
welcomed when well wells?

Drugs can be harmful.
Voice from the mouth of a well.
Insert meaning here.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451528522, Mass Market Paperback)

This masterpiece of science fiction is the fascinating story of Griffin, a scientist who creates a serum to render himself invisible, and his descent into madness that follows.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:05 -0400)

The tale of a scientist who discovers how to make his body become invisible, but, when he can't make himself visible again, becomes violently insane.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014143998X, 014119491X, 0141389516

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100666, 1400108578

An edition of this book was published by McFarland.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,947,543 books! | Top bar: Always visible