The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells

The Invisible Man (original 1897; edition 2002)

by H.G. Wells (Author), Arthur C. Clarke (Introduction)

Member:divinenanny
Title:The Invisible Man
Authors:H.G. Wells (Author)
Other authors:Arthur C. Clarke (Introduction)
Info:Modern Library (2002), New York, Paperback, 159p.
Collections:Your library, eBooks, Read, Read 2013, The List, Buy and Get 2011, Readable
Tags:science fiction, 1001, fiction, sf masterworks

The Invisible Man by H. G. Wells (1897)

English (116)  Spanish (3)  German (2)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  Hebrew (1)  French (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (126)
I learned in class my scifi/fantasy class this week that H.G. Wells and Henry James publicly debated whether literature should be primarily about ideas (Wells) or human psychology (James). Since I view all literature primarily as interesting gossip about the neighbors (albeit imaginary ones), it's no surprise I fall in the Jamesian camp. However, while Wells's work is sometimes less appealing, it DOES have a psychological dimension. And he also has interesting ideas. Read the rest at: http://thegrimreader.blogspot.com/2014/07/i-see-insights-in-invisible-man.html ( )
  nohrt4me2 | Jul 19, 2014 |
great fast read. didn't see it coming until the teddy bear. ( )
  carolynsuarez | Jul 6, 2014 |
This story may have been ground-breaking in its time, but in 2011 it just seems trite. A man makes himself invisible and then goes on a crime wave. There are some interesting philosophical ideas about visibility being one of the keys of keeping civilization working, and that's why I gave it two stars. The big reveal at the end of the book that the invisible man is an albino and thus was hiding from the world doesn't have the intended shock value. ( )
  sbloom42 | May 21, 2014 |
About noon he suddenly opened his parlour door and stood glaring fixedly at the three or four people in the bar. "Mrs. Hall," he said. Somebody went sheepishly and called for Mrs. Hall.
Mrs. Hall appeared after an interval, a little short of breath, but all the fiercer for that. Hall was still out. She had deliberated over this scene, and she came holding a little tray with an unsettled bill upon it. "Is it your bill you're wanting, sir?" she said.
"Why wasn't my breakfast laid? Why haven't you prepared my meals and answered my bell? Do you think I live without eating?"
"Why isn't my bill paid?" said Mrs. Hall. "That's what I want to know."
"I told you three days ago I was awaiting a remittance -- "
"I told you two days ago I wasn't going to await no remittances. You can't grumble if your breakfast waits a bit, if my bill's been waiting these five days, can you?"
The stranger swore briefly but vividly.
"Nar, nar!" from the bar.
"And I'd thank you kindly, sir, if you'd keep your swearing to yourself, sir," said Mrs. Hall.
The stranger stood looking more like an angry diving-helmet than ever. It was universally felt in the bar that Mrs. Hall had the better of him. His next words showed as much.
"Look here, my good woman -- " he began.
"Don't 'good woman' me," said Mrs. Hall.
"I've told you my remittance hasn't come -- "
"Remittance indeed!" said Mrs. Hall.
Still, I daresay in my pocket -- "
"You told me two days ago that you hadn't anything but a sovereign's worth of silver upon you."
"Well, I've found some more -- "
"Ul-lo!" from the bar.
"I wonder where you found it," said Mrs. Hall.
That seemed to annoy the stranger very much. He stamped his foot. "What do you mean?" he said.

The reader realises one of the disadvantages of invisibility well before Griffin spells it out, as he keeps sniffing, coughing and sneezing due to catching cold from going about naked in winter. Although Griffin thought that invisibility would make him invincible and invulnerable, it turns out to be more of a curse, but he is such a nasty piece of work that I felt no sympathy for him at all.

I really like the structure of the story, which begins when Griffin is already invisible, and gradually fills in the backstory as the book progresses. ( )
1 vote isabelx | Mar 11, 2014 |
From the twentieth century's first great practitioner of the novel of ideas comes a consummate masterpiece of science fiction about a man trapped in the terror of his own creation. ( )
  MarkBeronte | Mar 4, 2014 |

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

The stranger came early in February one wintry day, through a biting wind and a driving snow, the last snowfall of the year, over the down, walking as it seemed from Bramblehurst railway station and carrying a little black portmanteau in his thickly gloved hand.
This is the main work for The Invisible Man by H. G. Wells. Do not combine with any adaptation (e.g. film), abridgement, omnibus containing additional works, etc.

On a cold day in February, a stranger arrives in the village of Iping. He wears gloves and dark glasses, even inside, and his face is covered in bandages. Soon crimes occur that cannot be explained, and the townspeople realize the unthinkable truth: the strange man is invisible--and he is slowly going mad. The Invisible Man is a dangerous enemy who must be stopped. But if no one can see him, how can he be caught?
Wells was well, what wells
was was wells-nuts-was wells
welcomed when well wells?
(SomeGuyInVirginia)

Drugs can be harmful.
Voice from the mouth of a well.
Insert meaning here.
(SomeGuyInVirginia)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451528522, Mass Market Paperback)

This masterpiece of science fiction is the fascinating story of Griffin, a scientist who creates a serum to render himself invisible, and his descent into madness that follows.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:29 -0400)

The tale of a scientist who discovers how to make his body become invisible, but, when he can't make himself visible again, becomes violently insane.

Nineteen editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Three editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014143998X, 014119491X, 0141389516

McFarland

An edition of this book was published by McFarland.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,543,338 books! | Top bar: Always visible