Lathe of Heaven (Sf Masterworks 44) by…

Lathe of Heaven (Sf Masterworks 44) (original 1971; edition 2001)

by Ursula K Le Guin

3,495771,519 (3.99)2 / 188
Member:eleanor_eader
Title:Lathe of Heaven (Sf Masterworks 44)
Authors:Ursula K Le Guin
Info:Millennium Paperbacks (2001), Paperback, 192 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, science fiction, dystopia

The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula K. Le Guin (1971)

Amnesia Moon by Jonathan Lethem (ahstrick)
    The Dream Master by Roger Zelazny (paradoxosalpha)
    paradoxosalpha: Science fiction about the technological control of sleeping dreams. They're just dreams, right? What could go wrong?
    The Kin of Ata Are Waiting for You by Dorothy Bryant (sturlington)
    sturlington: Alternate realities accessed through dreams.
    The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff (The_Kat_Cache)
    The_Kat_Cache: The Lathe of Heaven is chock-full of Taoist principles. This book elaborates on the philosophy in an easily accessible manner.
    Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny (storyjunkie)
    storyjunkie: Both books carry a philosophical weight to their world-saving. A similar atmosphere to their protagonists, worlds, and occupancy of a more soul-searching lot in the science fiction spectrum make them nicely complementary to each other.

English (72)  French (2)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (76)
Prizewinner. ( )
  clifforddham | Aug 29, 2015 |
I inhaled this book start to finish. It's one of those cases where I can't believe I haven't read anything by this author before - but I'm glad I did as it was a fantastic read and there's a good chance the author will be added to my must read everything lists.

It's hard to know where to start. The writing was lovely, if you've heard/think Sci-Fi can't be literary (which is not true), than this is book is the one to read. The writing alone was what pulled me in and kept me reading until the end. On top of that, it was an interesting story. I wouldn't say I loved the characters - they weren't the type that would stay with me in the end, but I was rooting for George and it did have a solid cast of characters.

The plot line had so many layers to it, which I enjoyed, although despite this it wasn't hard to keep track of everything. The novel is constantly changing and switching things up, but it adds an interesting element to the book. There's also a lot to gain from the book, it does show what humans are capable of - mainly how greed and power destroy things. The ending was just as good as the rest of the book, I think some readers might be disappointed, but I found it to be a satisfying ending - save the fact I wanted more from the story, it worked out.

Overall, a fantastic book - I'd highly recommend this one - to readers of any genre.

Also found on my book review blog Jules' Book Reviews - The Lathe of Heaven ( )
  bookwormjules | Aug 25, 2015 |
Long before Inception and “shared dreaming,” LeGuin produced this classic, philosophical, sci-fi novel of “effective dreaming” and the nature of reality. The simple concept of one man’s dreams grows roots and branches that entwine and entangle the reader in a forest of complex relationships that eventually force the reader to choose between wanting to change reality or accepting it and letting the “conscious mind be part of the whole, intentionally and carefully.” ( )
  drardavis | Jul 7, 2015 |
Entertaining enough, a quick diversion. ( )
  MaureenCean | May 10, 2015 |
Lathe of Heaven is a semi post-apocalyptic novel that centered on the figure George Orr, a man who realizes that his dreams have the power to shape reality (though rarely in the way intended-- as dreams will do). Terrified of the power of his dreams he is sent to a prominent psychiatrist who realizes that George is, in fact, sane, and that through hypnosis he (the doctor) can shape the world to his will. Fighting against both the terrifying ability to rewrite reality and his psychiatrist’s misguided attempts to ‘fix’ the world, George is stuck in a shifting web of parallel realities that he remembers, and growing dangers as his dreams often replace one danger with another. ( )
  Ailinel | May 1, 2015 |

Le Guin, Ursula K.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sappinen, Jorma-VeikkoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Confucius and you are both dreams, and I who say you are dreams am in a dream myself. This is a paradox. Tomorrow a wise man may explain it; that tomorrow will not be for ten thousand generations. -- Chuang Tse: II
Current-borne, wave-flung, tugged hugely by the whole might of ocean, the jellyfish drifts in the tidal abyss.
'Hello,' he said again.

The plot revolves around a character whose dreams alter reality.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060512741, Paperback)

Ursula K. Le Guin is one of science fiction's greatest writers. She is also an acclaimed author of powerful and perceptive nonfiction, fantasy, and literary fiction. She has received many honors, including six Nebula and five Hugo Awards, the National Book Award, the Pushcart Prize, the Newbery, the Pilgrim, the Tiptree, and citations by the American Library Association. She has written over a dozen highly regarded novels and story collections. Her SF masterworks are The Left Hand of Darkness (1969), The Dispossessed (1974), and The Lathe of Heaven (1971).

George Orr has dreams that come true--dreams that change reality. He dreams that the aunt who is sexually harassing him is killed in a car crash, and wakes to find that she died in a wreck six weeks ago, in another part of the country. But a far darker dream drives George into the care of a psychotherapist--a dream researcher who doesn't share George's ambivalence about altering reality.

The Lathe of Heaven is set in the sort of worlds that one would associate with Philip K. Dick, but Ms. Le Guin's treatment of the material, her plot and characterization and concerns, are more akin to the humanistic, ethically engaged, psychologically nuanced fiction of Theodore Sturgeon. The Lathe of Heaven is an insightful and chilling examination of total power, of war and injustice and other age-old problems, of changing the world, of playing God. --Cynthia Ward

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:33 -0400)

"In a future world racked by violence and environmental catastrophes, George Orr wakes up one day to discover that his dreams have the ability to alter reality. He seeks help from Dr. William Haber, a psychiatrist who immediately grasps the power George wields. Soon George must preserve reality itself as Dr. Haber becomes adept at manipulating George's dreams for his own purposes."--Publisher description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,090,789 books! | Top bar: Always visible