If You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Joffe…

If You Give a Mouse a Cookie (original 1985; edition 1985)

by Laura Joffe Numeroff, Felicia Bond (Illustrator)

5,678None748 (4.15)57
Member:cniesen22
Title:If You Give a Mouse a Cookie
Authors:Laura Joffe Numeroff
Other authors:Felicia Bond (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (1985), Library Binding, 32 pages
Tags:Picture book, Mouse, Cookie, Fiction, Fantasy, Children's book, Cause and Effect

If You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Joffe Numeroff (1985)

I really liked the book "If you give a Mouse a Cookie" for several reasons. First, the storyline is so adorable. I had never read this book before, but I am glad I did. I think young children would love to read this story over and over, maybe eventually participating in a shared read aloud. The language is patterned, and very clear to read. The writing flows nicely to each topic, from a cookie, to milk, to a straw. For example, at the end the story goes full circle, “And chances are if he asks for a glass of milk, he’s going to want a cookie to go with it.” I think the big idea of this story is to teach children about responsibility and taking care of others. Children could even think of themselves as the mouse, and think about how their parents take care of them! ( )
  esiera1 | Apr 10, 2014 |
“If You Give a Mouse a Cookie” is a cute story about a little boy who gives a mouse a cookie. The big idea of the story is a fictional message: never give a mouse a cookie because he’ll just want other things from you! I enjoyed this story because I believe it is a “real” picture book; the illustrations added meaning to the words of the story that the reader would not be able to get otherwise. Through reading the words, the reader does not understand the little boy’s feelings about this greedy mouse. However, through the pictures the reader is able to understand the boy’s feelings through his very unhappy expressions. I also enjoyed this story because the story was written in a way that was very repetitive, coming full circle at the end by repeating the beginning of the story. ( )
  kburdg1 | Mar 24, 2014 |
I like this story because of the simplicity of the writing coupled with the detailed illustrations. Laura Numeroff does a good job telling the story in words, but I feel that the story would be somewhat dull without the illustrations to go along with them. For example, simply stating that “when you give him the milk, he’ll probably ask you for a straw” is a general statement without descriptive or sensory language. The description lies within the art, where the reader can begin to see the complications that are developing as the mouse continues to ask for more. I also like Felicia Bond’s style because she uses a sketch style that shows the linear nature of using colored pencil. The big idea is that some people will never be happy with what they have, and they will always want something else. ( )
  kbrash1 | Mar 18, 2014 |
This book is definitely a favorite among young readers. I can remember the time that this book was read to me and all I could think of was eating a chocolate chip cookie with a glass of cold milk! I love the fun illustrations throughout the book that make it easy to follow along with.

I would absolutely use the book as a mentor text to address cause and effect and circular texts. Each page is the effect of what happened on the previous page and I love how the book ends the same way as it begins. Very fun lesson! ( )
  mheitz | Mar 3, 2014 |
Once the little boy gives the mouse a cookie life gets very complicated. This story about one thing leading to another and back to the beginning again. This book could be used to teach about cause and effect in a story. This book is also good for teaching students about predicting what will come next. Read the first few pages then give the students a chance to come up with some ideas about what could happen next. ( )
  kghaemmaghami | Mar 2, 2014 |

Laura Joffe Numeroffprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bond, FeliciaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
For Florence & William Numeroff, the two best parents anyone could ever possibly want! - LJN
To Carolyn Prescott - FB
If you give a mouse a cookie, he's going to ask for a glass of milk.

In Laura Joffe Numeroff, If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, the mouse causes she comotion for the boy he meets outside. The story begins with his mother leving the boy home to visit their aunt. The boy decides to stay at home and read his comic book outside. As the boy reads and eats his bag of cookies, he meets the hungry, yet amable mouse. The mouse asks for a cookie, and the boy generously gives him one of his. Yet as the readers read on we see that do to this one act of kindness from the boy, the mouse continues to ask for more things. After eating the cookie, the mouse asks for a glass of milk, and then a straw, a napkin, a mirror, and such forth. The mouse shows that he can never be content with what he is given, and must ask for more. It is as if the mouse can never be fully satisfied. Even thugh the mouse seems so entusiastic and friendly, he does mess up the boy's kitchen and things. As a result, when the mother returns home from visiting the boy's aunt, the mother is not too happy. The story ends with the mouse continually asking for more things and chatting away with the mother.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060245867, Hardcover)

Who would ever suspect that a tiny little mouse could wear out an energetic young boy? Well, if you're going to go around giving an exuberantly bossy rodent a cookie, you'd best be prepared to do one or two more favors for it before your day is through. For example, he'll certainly need a glass of milk to wash down that cookie, won't he? And you can't expect him to drink the milk without a straw, can you? By the time our hero is finished granting all the mouse's very urgent requests--and cleaning up after him--it's no wonder his head is becoming a bit heavy. Laura Joffe Numeroff's tale of warped logic is a sure-fire winner in the giggle-generator category. But concerned parents can rest assured, there's even a little education thrown in for good measure: underneath the folly rest valuable lessons about cause and effect. Felicia Bond's hilarious pictures are full of subtle, fun details. Fans will be happy to know that this dynamic author-illustrator pair teamed up again for If You Give a Moose a Muffin and If You Give a Pig a Pancake. (Great read aloud, ages 4 to 8) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:51 -0400)

Relating the cycle of requests a mouse is likely to make after you give him a cookie takes the reader through a young child's day.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,483,156 books! | Top bar: Always visible