If You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Joffe…

If You Give a Mouse a Cookie (original 1985; edition 1985)

by Laura Joffe Numeroff, Felicia Bond (Illustrator)

Member:cniesen22
Title:If You Give a Mouse a Cookie
Authors:Laura Joffe Numeroff
Other authors:Felicia Bond (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (1985), Library Binding, 32 pages
Tags:Picture book, Mouse, Cookie, Fiction, Fantasy, Children's book, Cause and Effect

If You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Joffe Numeroff (1985)

I've not read the sequels, but I can imagine why they were written. Cumulative and sequential tales lend themselves well to all sorts of literacy activities, plus they're fun! ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Partnership
  apoffenroth13 | Apr 14, 2015 |
If you give a mouse a cookie is a children’s book written by Laura Numeroff and illustrated by Felicia Bond. I think this book is a great story for children because of how fun it is. Every child I have read this book to is always paying attention and excited for me to turn the page. I think this is a great story to read aloud to your kids, students, ect. This book reminds me of really kindhearted people who may get taken advantage of because they may be pushovers. I think this book shows people that yes its nice to help people out, but if it gets to a certain point where they are just using you then say no.
  abellcourt | Apr 6, 2015 |
The book, “If You Give a Mouse a Cookie” by Laura Joffe Numeroff is one that young children will love. It is the first in a series and always seems to be a hit. The story is about a mouse who asks for a cookie and what happens after he gets what it is he asks for. The mouse proceeds to ask for more and more things. Overall I really enjoyed this book. It teaches students about cause and effect. They realize that one action could lead to other things happening. The only thing that I did not care about this book was the fact it was about a mouse. I have a slight phobia when it comes to mice so I would probably use the book “If You Give a Pig a Pancake” instead. The illustrations in this book are very bright and engaging to young readers which adds to the enjoyment of the story.
  akern3 | Apr 4, 2015 |
When You Give a Mouse a Cookie was one of my favorite books growing up. Reading it now I remember why I loved the book so much, and still do. The book is centered around the main character which is a mouse, but really the central idea, which is that once you give someone a little bit they are going to keep wanting more and more, is one of the most relatable concepts.
I believe that this book is so popular, because it is a funny concept, but everyone understands that it is true with people. While the main character is a mouse the reader is still able to relate to all things that the main human characters is going through. I personally relate to it, because I have a friend who always seems to demand more and more of my time. You give her a few minutes of your time and she ends up taking hours.
The book also pulls the reader along with it. It does this by repeating the words “if you give the mouse a…”. By using this phrase over and over the author keeps the reader wanting to know more. You constantly want to know what the next thing that the mouse is going to take is. Not only does this pull the reader through the story, but also it helps to make the book cohesive. The mouse wants different things all the time, but because the author uses the same words over and over to introduce the items it makes the reader feel like it is all connected.
The main idea of this story is that if you give someone an inch they are going to try to take a mile. ( )
  Khammersla | Mar 31, 2015 |

Laura Joffe Numeroffprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bond, FeliciaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Aoyama, MinamiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lobel, MichaelComposersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mlawer, TeresaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wetzel, SuzanneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Florence & William Numeroff, the two best parents anyone could ever possibly want! - LJN
To Carolyn Prescott - FB
If you give a mouse a cookie, he's going to ask for a glass of milk.

In Laura Joffe Numeroff, If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, the mouse causes she comotion for the boy he meets outside. The story begins with his mother leving the boy home to visit their aunt. The boy decides to stay at home and read his comic book outside. As the boy reads and eats his bag of cookies, he meets the hungry, yet amable mouse. The mouse asks for a cookie, and the boy generously gives him one of his. Yet as the readers read on we see that do to this one act of kindness from the boy, the mouse continues to ask for more things. After eating the cookie, the mouse asks for a glass of milk, and then a straw, a napkin, a mirror, and such forth. The mouse shows that he can never be content with what he is given, and must ask for more. It is as if the mouse can never be fully satisfied. Even thugh the mouse seems so entusiastic and friendly, he does mess up the boy's kitchen and things. As a result, when the mother returns home from visiting the boy's aunt, the mother is not too happy. The story ends with the mouse continually asking for more things and chatting away with the mother.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060245867, Hardcover)

Who would ever suspect that a tiny little mouse could wear out an energetic young boy? Well, if you're going to go around giving an exuberantly bossy rodent a cookie, you'd best be prepared to do one or two more favors for it before your day is through. For example, he'll certainly need a glass of milk to wash down that cookie, won't he? And you can't expect him to drink the milk without a straw, can you? By the time our hero is finished granting all the mouse's very urgent requests--and cleaning up after him--it's no wonder his head is becoming a bit heavy. Laura Joffe Numeroff's tale of warped logic is a sure-fire winner in the giggle-generator category. But concerned parents can rest assured, there's even a little education thrown in for good measure: underneath the folly rest valuable lessons about cause and effect. Felicia Bond's hilarious pictures are full of subtle, fun details. Fans will be happy to know that this dynamic author-illustrator pair teamed up again for If You Give a Moose a Muffin and If You Give a Pig a Pancake. (Great read aloud, ages 4 to 8) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:51 -0400)

Relating the cycle of requests a mouse is likely to make after you give him a cookie takes the reader through a young child's day.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,567,622 books! | Top bar: Always visible