If You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Joffe…

If You Give a Mouse a Cookie (original 1985; edition 1985)

by Laura Joffe Numeroff, Felicia Bond (Illustrator)

Title:If You Give a Mouse a Cookie
Authors:Laura Joffe Numeroff
Other authors:Felicia Bond (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (1985), Library Binding, 32 pages
Tags:Picture book, Mouse, Cookie, Fiction, Fantasy, Children's book, Cause and Effect

If You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Joffe Numeroff (1985)

A mouse gets a cookie and asks for many more things to go with it, eventually it leads back to a cookie. theme: generosity ( )
  tkehoe | Sep 29, 2015 |
This book is one of my personal favorites. One of the many things I love about this book is the illustrations. They are so colorful and very well drawn to draw your attention to every little detail. When you look at the mouse it is like you can see every little hair on his little body. I also really like the way the book is structured. It is sequenced to what could happen if you gave a mouse a cookie and is repetitive so that the reader doesn't forget what happened on the page previous which is great for younger readers. ( )
  kstano1 | Sep 24, 2015 |
The book IF YOU GIVE A MOUSE A COOKIE by Laura Numeroff is a trade book for children ages 4-6. In this book it shows how if you give a mouse a cookie it will keep coming back for more. The boy gives the mouse a cookie and then the mouse keeps doing things in order to get another cookie. I think this book is saying that if you reward kids by giving them a treat it will make them want to keep doing good and helping out. The pictures in this book look like they were colored with pencil and to me that makes it look more like a children's book. I really like how the colors pop. This book could be used in the classroom to explain to kids that it is good to help out. It is a good book to use because it is a funny one that kids will enjoy! ( )
  nhall002 | Sep 23, 2015 |
This books is a cute little picture book that is an easy reader. Young children are able to read alone and look at the colorful illustrations within the text. I give this a four star rating because this books is very cute and simple. The only thing is, it many be a little too simple, even for an easy reader.
In the story, a young boy finds a mouse and offers to give him a cookie, the only thing is, the mouse wants milk to go with his cookie. So the boy and the mouse go into the boys house to find milk. After the mouse gets his milk, he needs a straw, then he wants to take a nap so he needs a comfy bed. Then he needs a bed time story, but the story gets him excited and he wants to draw. So he needs crayons and paper, then he wants to hang it on the fridge and so on.
This book seems to run on and on about what a mouse needs and wants if you offer him a cookie. It is a good lesson on what might come next if you do something. It makes students think about either the consequences or the good things that can come from one simple action. In this case, the boy must give the mouse much more than just a cookie, but is it a good thing? That could be from the reader to decide. Overall, this is a good and fun read, I mean, who doesn't love cookies? ( )
  tnelson12 | Sep 22, 2015 |
Summary: If you give a Mouse a Cookie involves a boy in a mouse. The boy ask the mouse if he would like a cookie the mouse said yes after that he began to ask for milk then he asked for a straw and so on this story kept going this story had a lot of cause and effect.

Personal: This story was adorable form the start it was funny because I work at a daycare which kids will act just like the mouse and different ways. This story had a lot of cause and effect in it.

Extension ideas: before we read: I would gather a bag of different items from the story such as milk, cookie, gloves. I will have3 each person help put the items in the bag and we will take out the items as we read the story after we read we will then go to arts in crafts where they will make a mouse holding a cookie.
  aja_cc | Sep 21, 2015 |

Laura Joffe Numeroffprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bond, FeliciaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Aoyama, MinamiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lobel, MichaelComposersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mlawer, TeresaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wetzel, SuzanneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Florence & William Numeroff, the two best parents anyone could ever possibly want! - LJN
To Carolyn Prescott - FB
If you give a mouse a cookie, he's going to ask for a glass of milk.

In Laura Joffe Numeroff, If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, the mouse causes she comotion for the boy he meets outside. The story begins with his mother leving the boy home to visit their aunt. The boy decides to stay at home and read his comic book outside. As the boy reads and eats his bag of cookies, he meets the hungry, yet amable mouse. The mouse asks for a cookie, and the boy generously gives him one of his. Yet as the readers read on we see that do to this one act of kindness from the boy, the mouse continues to ask for more things. After eating the cookie, the mouse asks for a glass of milk, and then a straw, a napkin, a mirror, and such forth. The mouse shows that he can never be content with what he is given, and must ask for more. It is as if the mouse can never be fully satisfied. Even thugh the mouse seems so entusiastic and friendly, he does mess up the boy's kitchen and things. As a result, when the mother returns home from visiting the boy's aunt, the mother is not too happy. The story ends with the mouse continually asking for more things and chatting away with the mother.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060245867, Hardcover)

Who would ever suspect that a tiny little mouse could wear out an energetic young boy? Well, if you're going to go around giving an exuberantly bossy rodent a cookie, you'd best be prepared to do one or two more favors for it before your day is through. For example, he'll certainly need a glass of milk to wash down that cookie, won't he? And you can't expect him to drink the milk without a straw, can you? By the time our hero is finished granting all the mouse's very urgent requests--and cleaning up after him--it's no wonder his head is becoming a bit heavy. Laura Joffe Numeroff's tale of warped logic is a sure-fire winner in the giggle-generator category. But concerned parents can rest assured, there's even a little education thrown in for good measure: underneath the folly rest valuable lessons about cause and effect. Felicia Bond's hilarious pictures are full of subtle, fun details. Fans will be happy to know that this dynamic author-illustrator pair teamed up again for If You Give a Moose a Muffin and If You Give a Pig a Pancake. (Great read aloud, ages 4 to 8) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:59 -0400)

Relating the cycle of requests a mouse is likely to make after you give him a cookie takes the reader through a young child's day.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,705,844 books! | Top bar: Always visible