If You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Joffe…

If You Give a Mouse a Cookie (original 1985; edition 1985)

by Laura Joffe Numeroff, Felicia Bond (Illustrator)

Member:caitlin.wester
Title:If You Give a Mouse a Cookie
Authors:Laura Joffe Numeroff
Other authors:Felicia Bond (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (1985), Library Binding, 32 pages
Collections:TED 255
Tags:Cookie, Giving

If You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Joffe Numeroff (1985)

Recently added byNLCCS, zamardan001, Marshman53188, hownovel, KDKat5, jonesja, private library, gregried, Alloc

This book presents a imaginative story about all the funny things giving a mouse a cookie will lead to. I have always liked this story and its imagination. I liked this book because of the stories organization and how it starts and ends with the same actions, even though all these other events go on in the middle. So for example the story starts out, "If you give a mouse a cookie, he's going to ask for a glass of milk." After that it goes on to say that he's going to want a straw, and then a napkin which leads him to the mirror where he notices he needs a hair cut... The story continues on like that but wraps up in the end the same way the story started, "Looking at the refrigerator will remind him that he's thirsty. So...he'll ask for a glass of milk. And chances are if he asks for a glass of milk, he's going to want a cookie to go with it." I had mixed feelings about the illustrations for this book, I didn't like it because the pages are all white except for one small illustration per page, I would have liked it better if it were more colorful or had boarders. I did really like the end illustration on the last page because it really tied the story all together. The last page has a picture of the boy sitting on the floor in front of a cabinet eating cookies with the mouse. Around them on the floor and on the cabinet are all the activities that they did throughout the story that resulted from him giving the mouse a cookie. For example there's the story he had the boy read to him, and the crayons and paper that he used to draw his own picture and the scotch tape he used to put it on the fridge. ( )
  JamieLewis | Sep 28, 2014 |
This book is about how if you give a mouse he is going to want a glass of milk, and then a napkin, and it goes on and on until he ends up wanting a glass of milk again.
I like this book because it is fun and I always enjoyed reading this book as a child. I also like this book because kids could guess what comes next that the mouse wants, making this book that much more fun to read.
This book could be suited for kids anywhere from 4-7 because it is an easy read, yet very fun!
  AmyGelle | Sep 22, 2014 |
I liked this book for two reasons. First I enjoyed reading the development of the plot with its surprising progression because it keeps readers engaged. This is shown well through the example of the creative link of events between "look[ing] in a mirror to make sure he doesn't have a milk mustache", to "ask[ing] for a pair of nail scissors" for a hair trim. These events and other related ones all lead back to the end of the story when the mouse wants another cookie, which was a pleasing conclusion to the story. The second reason I enjoyed this book was it's utilization of silly pictures that play a huge roll in describing the events that occur in the story. These illustrations evoke a sense of fun chaotic fun such as when they show the mouse flying out of beauty powder, make-shift bed out of excitement to go draw pictures. The big idea of this story was how doing one small thing can lead to a whole sequence of other consequences that someone may not have foreseen. ( )
  StephanieGrim | Sep 17, 2014 |
I have always liked this book for younger children. The language is very patterned and repetitive so this book is great for the younger grades. For example, the author says "If you give a mouse a cookie, he's going to ask for a glass of milk. When you give him the milk, he'll probably ask you for a straw." Then the book continues in this on going cause and effect relationship between the boy and mouse. I also really enjoyed the illustrations. The illustrations are very detailed and go well with the story. This book was also written very well. It kept me engaged in the story and wanting to know what the mouse was going to do next. I think the big ideas of this story are kindness and sharing. The little boy continues to give share his belongings with the mouse throughout the story. ( )
  ckenne17 | Sep 17, 2014 |
In my opinion, I like the book “If You Give A Mouse A Cookie.” I loved that the text had such a playful pattern to it, where the mouse would ask for something, and then ask for something because of that, and so on. The pattern ends up making its way into a circle and right back to the beginning. For example, the mouse asks for a glass of milk after receiving a cookie from the boy. He then asks for a straw to be able to drink the milk, and a mirror to avoid a milk mustache, etc. Then, towards the end of the book, the mouse looks at the refrigerator, which makes him thirsty, so he asks for a glass of milk. The circle is then complete. Next, the illustrations are full of energy and color, making the book fun to read. The blended colored pencils give it a more vibrant and exciting look. The theme and main idea of this book is the cause and effect of things. For example, the book begins by stating ‘If you give a mouse a cookie,” (cause) then leads to “he’s going to ask for a glass of milk.” (effect) This cause and effect continues throughout the entire book. I think that this idea is a neat way to write a book, because then the children can really be thinking or trying to predict what the mouse will do next! ( )
  margan1 | Sep 16, 2014 |

Laura Joffe Numeroffprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bond, FeliciaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Aoyama, MinamiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lobel, MichaelComposersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mlawer, TeresaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wetzel, SuzanneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Florence & William Numeroff, the two best parents anyone could ever possibly want! - LJN
To Carolyn Prescott - FB
If you give a mouse a cookie, he's going to ask for a glass of milk.

In Laura Joffe Numeroff, If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, the mouse causes she comotion for the boy he meets outside. The story begins with his mother leving the boy home to visit their aunt. The boy decides to stay at home and read his comic book outside. As the boy reads and eats his bag of cookies, he meets the hungry, yet amable mouse. The mouse asks for a cookie, and the boy generously gives him one of his. Yet as the readers read on we see that do to this one act of kindness from the boy, the mouse continues to ask for more things. After eating the cookie, the mouse asks for a glass of milk, and then a straw, a napkin, a mirror, and such forth. The mouse shows that he can never be content with what he is given, and must ask for more. It is as if the mouse can never be fully satisfied. Even thugh the mouse seems so entusiastic and friendly, he does mess up the boy's kitchen and things. As a result, when the mother returns home from visiting the boy's aunt, the mother is not too happy. The story ends with the mouse continually asking for more things and chatting away with the mother.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060245867, Hardcover)

Who would ever suspect that a tiny little mouse could wear out an energetic young boy? Well, if you're going to go around giving an exuberantly bossy rodent a cookie, you'd best be prepared to do one or two more favors for it before your day is through. For example, he'll certainly need a glass of milk to wash down that cookie, won't he? And you can't expect him to drink the milk without a straw, can you? By the time our hero is finished granting all the mouse's very urgent requests--and cleaning up after him--it's no wonder his head is becoming a bit heavy. Laura Joffe Numeroff's tale of warped logic is a sure-fire winner in the giggle-generator category. But concerned parents can rest assured, there's even a little education thrown in for good measure: underneath the folly rest valuable lessons about cause and effect. Felicia Bond's hilarious pictures are full of subtle, fun details. Fans will be happy to know that this dynamic author-illustrator pair teamed up again for If You Give a Moose a Muffin and If You Give a Pig a Pancake. (Great read aloud, ages 4 to 8) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:51 -0400)

Relating the cycle of requests a mouse is likely to make after you give him a cookie takes the reader through a young child's day.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,963,550 books! | Top bar: Always visible