Complete Book of Home Preserving by Judi…

Complete Book of Home Preserving (2006)

by Judi Kingry (Editor), Lauren Devine (Editor)

Recently added byRapidCityPubLib, padmacatell, poje, private library, Windering, ATKlibrary, skentmurray, libra79

I learned everything I know about canning from Ball's Blue Book. This book takes many of their standard recipes and updates them, adds many new recipes, and gives loads of tips on every step from choosing produce to trouble shooting what went wrong.

I would recommend this book to seasoned canners to try new flavors and ingredients as well as to beginners who will get reliable, tested directions for this rewarding endeavor. ( )
  mamzel | Sep 4, 2011 |
There are a lot of great recipes in this book that I can't wait to try... once fresh fruit is in season in New England again. I've already made the jalapeno salsa and it was so delicious that I ate an entire half pint with one meal! This would be a great reference book to have around, but I'm not sure if I'd be willing to pay full price for it. ( )
  lemontwist | Feb 1, 2010 |
A better title would be The Complete Book of Home Water-Bath Canning. It's not complete because home preserving includes dehydrating, freezing and pressure canning as well.

The recipes are good, leaning towards the unique rather than the basics. Everything I have tried has turned out well. ( )
  harvesthomestead | Nov 19, 2009 |
Great book full of different canning recipes. It also has tips and instructions for the beginning canner but the variety of recipes makes it a must for canners of any experience level. ( )
  fschipani | Dec 13, 2008 |
Very concise and easy to understand instructions. I made the "golden gossip" chutney first. The end result was fantastic, but I didn't have all the ingredients prepped before hand and it took me longer than I thought because of it. I have two recipes marked to try next: zesty zucchini relish & achar (south asian pickle). ( )
  ShawnMThrasher | Nov 16, 2008 |

Kingry, JudiEditorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Devine, LaurenEditormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Home canning puts the pleasure of eating natural, delicious produce at your fingertips year-round.

From the experts, the new bible in home preserving.

Ball Home Canning Products are the gold standard in home preserving supplies, the trademark jars on display in stores every summer from coast to coast. Now the experts at Ball have written a book destined to become the "bible" of home preserving.

As nutrition and food quality has become more important, home canning and preserving has increased in popularity for the benefits it offers:

Cooks gain control of the ingredients, including organic fruits and vegetables Preserving foods at their freshest point locks in nutrition The final product is free of chemical additives and preservatives Store-bought brands cannot match the wonderful flavor of homemade Only a few hours are needed to put up a batch of jam or relish Home preserves make a great personal gift any time of year

These 400 innovative and enticing recipes include everything from salsas and savory sauces to pickling, chutneys, relishes and of course, jams, jellies, and fruit spreads, such as:

Mango-Raspberry Jam, Damson Plum Jam Crab Apple Jelly, Green Pepper Jelly Spiced Red Cabbage, Pickled Asparagus Roasted Red Pepper Spread, Tomatillo Salsa Brandied Apple Rings, Apricot-Date Chutney

The book includes comprehensive directions on safe canning and preserving methods plus lists of required equipment and utensils. Specific instructions for first-timers and handy tips for the experienced make the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving a valuable addition to any kitchen library.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:31 -0400)

Features four hundred recipes for salsas, savory sauces, chutneys, pickles, relishes, jams, jellies, and fruit spreads, including instructions for beginners and tips for experienced cooks.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,781,308 books! | Top bar: Always visible