Surrender to Love: Discovering the Heart of…

Surrender to Love: Discovering the Heart of Christian Spirituality (2003)

by David G. Benner

Re-reading this book and once again, my heart is being stirred. ( )
  DavidNichols | Jul 2, 2008 |
To Juliet

A Personal Growth Finalist in the 2004 Word Guild Canadian Writing Awards!

"Only God deserves absolute surrender because only God can offer absolutely dependable love."

In our self-reliant era, most of us recoil from the concept of surrendering to a power or authority outside ourselves. But surrender need not be seen as threatening, especially when the One to whom we surrender is the epitome of goodness and love.

God doesn't want his people to respond to him out of fear or obligation. Rather, he invites us to enter into an authentic relationship of intimacy and devotion. And so God calls us to move beyond mere obedience--by surrendering to love.

In this profound book, David Benner explores the twin themes of love and surrender as the heart of Christian spirituality. Through careful examination of Scripture and reflection on the Christian tradition, Benner shows how God bids us to trust fully in his perfect love.

Writing with mature wisdom gleaned from many years of integrating psychological and spiritual insight, Benner demonstrates keen perception and sensitivity to the realities of spirtitual formation. In each chapter he includes meditative exercises to guide you into a greater experience of trust and spiritual transformation.

God is love, and he intends for you to live in his love. will lead you to an unexpected place, where yieldedness to God frees you to become who he created you to be.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:38 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,149,126 books! | Top bar: Always visible