Running with Scissors: A Memoir by Augusten…

Running with Scissors: A Memoir (edition 2006)

by Augusten Burroughs

Member:Georgiedarme
Title:Running with Scissors: A Memoir
Authors:Augusten Burroughs
Info:St. Martin's Paperbacks (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages

Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls (Monika_L)
    A Wolf at the Table: A Memoir of My Father by Augusten Burroughs (ParadoxicalRae)
    Mommie Dearest by Christina Crawford (Smiler69)
    Smiler69: Memoirs told by the adopted daughter of Joan Crawford, who by all accounts was a raging alcoholic.
    Middlesex: A Novel by Jeffrey Eugenides (amberwitch)
    Devil in the Details: Scenes from an Obsessive Girlhood by Jennifer Traig (sarah-e)
    sarah-e: A funny memoir of a person with unusual habits.
    Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger's by John Elder Robison (vancouverdeb)
    vancouverdeb: Look Me in the Eye written by John Elder Robinson, the elder brother ofAugusten Burroughs who wrote Running with Scissors. Each gives a different take on their dysfunctional family.
    Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire (khoov00)
    khoov00: This book seems to appeal to some with the same sense of humor as it would take to appreciate the book Wicked.
    Stitches: A Memoir by David Small (meggyweg)
    Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim by David Sedaris (LAKobow)
    Foreskin's Lament by Shalom Auslander (utterlyutter)
    Normal Family by Don Trowden (Publerati)
    Publerati: Eccentric family chaos except Normal Family is entirely set over four consecutive dysfunctional family holidays. Hysterical and bittersweet fun. Promising new writer.
    My Life in Orange: Growing Up with the Guru by Tim Guest (ainsleytewce)
    Sugarless by James Magruder (amberwitch)
    Between Nowhere and Happiness by Daniel Kine (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: A young poet battling apathy with drugs and other forms of experimental coping methods.
    An Underachiever's Diary by Benjamin Anastas (meggyweg)
    Bright Angel Time by Martha McPhee (ainsleytewce, ainsleytewce)
    A Million Little Pieces by James Frey (wonderlake)
    wonderlake: Crazy lives
    A Child Called "It" by Dave Pelzer (PortiaLong)
    PortiaLong: Disturbing memoirs - I disliked them both for the same reasons (so someone else may LIKE them for those same reasons).

English (273)  Italian (2)  German (1)  French (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (278)
“Running With Scissors” by Augusten Burroughs
-Book Review-

Sometimes real life can seem unimaginable, a dream, or even fiction, but Augusten Burroughs’ stunning memoir Running With Scissors insinuates that life can be unbelievable. This secretive coming-of-age story seems impossible, but as you read every chapter the clarity and egregiousness with which Burroughs remembers every disgusting detail seems unrealistic. The events of the book are so bizarre that they could not have been fabricated, no matter how hard he might have tried to erase them from his mind. This story is a notable example of the abuses that can and go on in homes in our society, unrecognized to others around them. While growing up, the author and main character, lived in two such homes. Augusten Burroughs opened the doors to us all to experience the scandalous story that was his life. Using humorous anecdotes he describes tales of his youth, which were grisly experiences of abuse and neglect. Although not suited for the light of heart, I would strongly recommend this memoir to young adults and older. The language and imagery in his book is very impactful and leaves lasting impressions that his readers can relate with. It shows us what he was dealing with by evoking mental images that allow us to connect on an emotional plane with the scene.
Augusten Burroughs, is clearly a talented author as the tone throughout the memoir is incredibly sarcastic, as well as subtly comical. As we see when he is describing his mother, “And my mother began to go crazy. Not crazy in a let’s paint the kitchen bright red! Sort of way. But crazy in a gas oven, toothpaste sandwich, I am God sort of way” (Burroughs, 28). This gives the narrative a black humoresque feeling to it, as he uses comedy as a defense mechanism to hide the detrimental thoughts that came close at hand with the memories. The illustrations he uses to describe how crazy his mom really are uncommon and funny but it is understood by the readers. For example society finds people insane when they say they are God so people are mentally unstable and maybe a person who has major issues make a sandwich of toothpaste because they love it. “Normal” people wouldn’t do that.
By using imagery and details we can form a mental image of what Burroughs was thinking and going through. “ I sat pressed up against the unlocked door, miserable. It was my secret hope that the door would fly open on the highway and I would tumble from the car, rolling onto the highway where I would be crushed beneath the tires of the Barstow onion truck behind us” (Burroughs, 15). The readers have a better understanding of the pain and where the authors frame of mind was at the time. We understand that he was unhappy with his life and he wouldn’t mind dying, because secretly he was imagining his death.
Augusten Burroughs also uses many similes and metaphors in his book it makes the writing more captivating. Similes spark the reader’s imagination while getting the message across. For example when he tells us about his brother, “He wants nothing to do with me at all. I want to stab him with a butcher knife, my brother would reply flatly. ‘Yeah he is basically worthless.’ Throughout my life, my brother had been the one person I could rely on. Even when it seemed we had absolutely nothing in common. I knew that he was as reliable as a mathematical formula” (Burroughs, 108). He described his emotion which really cannot be explained with words. Augusten expresses how much he loved his brother and how important it was that his brother kept him from doing something he would regret. With his brother’s calm and unpretentious responses kept Augusten wondering why his brother was not upset so Augusten learned to be angry but to not be affected by other people. It kept him grounded. Augusteen knew that his brother would always tell him the truth and that he was dependable and honest, such as a formula is always sensible and sincere. Burroughs’ nefarious, berserk and insane life, was lunacy so all he could do was laugh about it, this was his answer to the pathetic chaos of his childhood.
There are countless reasons that make a memoir a must-read: well written, interesting topic, funny, or a compelling story line. From the beginning of Running With Scissors it is exciting and laughable. You never know what’s going to happen next. It begins a compelling journey into his life and grabs the interest of the reader with the humor he instills in the hurt he encounters while overcoming obstacles. Yes, I do admit that there were many pages that made me feel queasy because they were so sickening; but his candor and the way he finds humor in every situation made his book amusing, heartbreaking and memorable. Burroughs easily weaves basic literary elements: imagery, simile, and humor to create a memoir that is absolutely amazing; while infusing loss, helplessness, anger, and hope. No matter the reader this memoir will bring a mixture of feelings tapping into traumatic experiences. He allows the public to experience his vulnerability, shame, and chilling reality.
Augusten Burroughs concludes by showing his audience that he overcame his horrific situations and that he made something of himself even though living dangerously, “running with scissors” (Burroughs, 290). Indeed his life was awful but Running With Scissors shows us that people with dreadful beginning can still preserve. Once again I firmly propose, that you read this book with an open mind because the language and imagery can have a lasting impression.

Work Cited

Burroughs, Augusten. Running with Scissors. Picador, 2002. ( )
  EllizzaDias | Dec 17, 2018 |
I really enjoyed his story telling and wish to read more about his life and what he has overcome. Amazing. ( )
  cfulton20 | Dec 5, 2018 |
  cfulton20 | Dec 5, 2018 |
This book was amazing.
It was interesting to read about just how crazy this kid's mother and childhood was. I really couldn't put this book down. ( )
  rabidgummibear | Nov 28, 2018 |
Really weird, and not all that funny. Another one I couldn't finish.
  aratiel | Sep 5, 2018 |
The book, which promotes visceral responses (of laughter, wincing, retching) on nearly every page, contains the kind of scenes that are often called harrowing but which are also plainly funny and rich with child's-eye details of adults who have gone off the rails.

Augusten Burroughsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Leivo, ArtoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Look for the ridiculous in everything and you will find it.

Jules Renard
For Dennis Pilsits
My mother is standing in front of the bathroom mirror smelling polished and ready; like Jean Nate, Dippity Do and the waxy sweetness of lipstick.

A memoir. A story told about a young boy's life living with his delusional mother, her unorthodox shrink, and his dysfunctional kids. A very interesting read!!!

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312938853, Mass Market Paperback)

There is a passage early in Augusten Burroughs's harrowing and highly entertaining memoir, Running with Scissors, that speaks volumes about the author. While going to the garbage dump with his father, young Augusten spots a chipped, glass-top coffee table that he longs to bring home. "I knew I could hide the chip by fanning a display of magazines on the surface, like in a doctor's office," he writes, "And it certainly wouldn't be dirty after I polished it with Windex for three hours." There were certainly numerous chips in the childhood Burroughs describes: an alcoholic father, an unstable mother who gives him up for adoption to her therapist, and an adolescence spent as part of the therapist's eccentric extended family, gobbling prescription meds and fooling around with both an old electroshock machine and a pedophile who lives in a shed out back. But just as he dreamed of doing with that old table, Burroughs employs a vigorous program of decoration and fervent polishing to a life that many would have simply thrown in a landfill. Despite her abandonment, he never gives up on his increasingly unbalanced mother. And rather than despair about his lot, he glamorizes it: planning a "beauty empire" and performing an a capella version of "You Light Up My Life" at a local mental ward. Burroughs's perspective achieves a crucial balance for a memoir: emotional but not self-involved, observant but not clinical, funny but not deliberately comic. And it's ultimately a feel-good story: as he steers through a challenging childhood, there's always a sense that Burroughs's survivor mentality will guide him through and that the coffee table will be salvaged after all. --John Moe

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:46 -0400)

The author describes his bizarre coming-of-age years after his adoption by his mother's psychiatrist, during which he witnessed such misadventures as a fake suicide attempt and front-lawn family/patient sleepovers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,199,555 books! | Top bar: Always visible