The Riddle of the Sands: A Record of Secret…

The Riddle of the Sands: A Record of Secret Service. Erskine Childers… (original 1903; edition 2008)

by Erskine Childers

Member:M.Bird
Title:The Riddle of the Sands: A Record of Secret Service. Erskine Childers (Read Red)
Authors:Erskine Childers
Info:Penguin Books (2008), Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:MGB

The Riddle of the Sands by Erskine Childers (1903)

The Thirty-Nine Steps by John Buchan (simon_carr)
    simon_carr: Similar in many ways: plucky Englishman chances upon a dastardly German plot. Thoroughly enjoyable.
    Thirst for the Sea: The Sailing Adventures of Erskine Childers by Erskine Childers (John_Vaughan)
    John_Vaughan: The actual sailing logs and articles of Childer's real cruises, and smuggling!
    Kim by Rudyard Kipling (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: More spying and skulduggery
    The Zeal of the Convert by Burke Wilkinson (John_Vaughan)
    The English Channel by Nigel Calder (John_Vaughan)
    John_Vaughan: Cruises in the same water
    The riddle of Erskine Childers by Andrew Boyle (John_Vaughan)
    John_Vaughan: To know the man even better, read his now famous novel - the other riddle.
    Biggles and the Black Peril by W. E. Johns (simon_carr)
    simon_carr: Espionage and dastardly Germans aplenty in both.

English (39)  German (2)  All languages (41)
Grandfather of all spy novels gets off to a slow start but leads to compelling finish. A must for mariners. ( )
  jacoombs | Aug 11, 2014 |
Got nearly halfway and did not finish. Although this is a classic among spy novels, they have come a long way. Interesting for historical reasons only. Very slow-moving; I felt like I was trying to walk through molasses. ( )
  janerawoof | May 16, 2014 |
This novel, published in 1902, is the most well known of a genre of spy fiction produced during the period of tension between Britain and Germany leading up to the First World War, when there were numerous exaggerated (though not wholly unfounded) fears of German spies infiltrating Britain and making it vulnerable to a German invasion. A basis for an exciting story, but unfortunately, in practice it left me cold and indeed I found it very dull. The two central English characters were uninteresting and I found them virtually interchangeable. The author's statement at the end about the perceived danger of German invasion is more interesting from a historical viewpoint. My kindle version came with some slightly odd illustrations of marginal relevance. ( )
  john257hopper | Apr 5, 2014 |
When I first read this book, I didn't understand the sailing parts. Then I took up sailing
and all became clear - one of the great spy/sailing stories.

Available as a free audiobook from https://librivox.org/ ( )
  captbirdseye | Feb 17, 2014 |
Apart from the political significance of the book, "The Riddle of the Sands" is fiction of a high quality. Its style and its permeating atmosphere of the sea suggest Conrad; and, like Conrad, the author takes us so thoroughly with him that our hearts beat with those of the perplexed voyagers, and we even share the smells and flavors of their cramped little yacht.

Erskine Childersprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Childers, Erskine C.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Drummond, MaldwinIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lesser, AntonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O'Connor, JohnIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whistler, DanielIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
[None]
I have read of men who, when forced by their calling to live for long periods in utter solitude - save for a few black faces - have made it a rule to dress regularly for dinner in order to maintain their self-respect and prevent a relapse into barbarism. It was in some such spirit, with an added touch of self-consciousness, that, at seven o'clock in the evening of 23rd September in a recent year, I was making my evening toilet in my chambers in Pall Mall.

Childers' lone masterpiece, "The Riddle of the Sands", considered the first modern spy thriller, is recognizable as the brilliant forerunner of the realism of Graham Greene and John le Carre. Its unique flavor comes from its fine characterization, richly authentic background of inshore sailing and vivid evocation of the late 1890s - an atmosphere of mutual suspicion and intrigue that was soon to lead to war.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:33 -0400)

The Riddle of the Sands is set during the long suspicious years leading up to the First World War and is a classic of spy fiction.

Nine editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141031271, 0143106325

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,148,783 books! | Top bar: Always visible