The Riddle of the Sands: A Record of Secret…

The Riddle of the Sands: A Record of Secret Service. Erskine Childers… (original 1903; edition 2008)

by Erskine Childers

Member:M.Bird
Title:The Riddle of the Sands: A Record of Secret Service. Erskine Childers (Read Red)
Authors:Erskine Childers
Info:Penguin Books (2008), Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:MGB

The Riddle of the Sands by Erskine Childers (1903)

The Thirty-Nine Steps by John Buchan (simon_carr)
    simon_carr: Similar in many ways: plucky Englishman chances upon a dastardly German plot. Thoroughly enjoyable.
    Thirst for the Sea: The Sailing Adventures of Erskine Childers by Erskine Childers (John_Vaughan)
    John_Vaughan: The actual sailing logs and articles of Childer's real cruises, and smuggling!
    The riddle of Erskine Childers by Andrew Boyle (John_Vaughan)
    John_Vaughan: To know the man even better, read his now famous novel - the other riddle.
    Kim by Rudyard Kipling (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: More spying and skulduggery
    The Zeal of the Convert by Burke Wilkinson (John_Vaughan)
    The English Channel by Nigel Calder (John_Vaughan)
    John_Vaughan: Cruises in the same water
    Biggles and the Black Peril by W. E. Johns (simon_carr)
    simon_carr: Espionage and dastardly Germans aplenty in both.

English (43)  German (2)  All languages (45)
A lot of technical details about currents, tides and sailing. Best for people familiar with the Friesland area and/or sailing. The espionage aspects were ground-breaking in their realism when first published in 1903 but a bit dated now. ( )
  leslie.98 | Jul 2, 2015 |
The "first modern spy novel', the book was an interesting description of the north German coast. Much of the detail was hard to follow, but the conclusion became more and more obvious as the book progressed. An interesting book. Read April 2015. ( )
  untraveller | May 29, 2015 |
I don't know if any other reviewer has mentioned that this book is funny as well as suspenseful. I had no idea what was going on (what with the nautical terminology) half the time. Even so, I still enjoyed it on its own merits. Really charming. And funny! And British!

Might better be titled Two Men in a Boat (To Say Nothing of the Germans). ( )
1 vote sansmerci | Nov 30, 2014 |
An adventure story written with a serious purpose (Wake up England!)
Illustrations are four maps which give context to the narrative.
No violence or sex (only a minimal female love interest). ( )
  supersnake | Nov 24, 2014 |
We shall be able to throw them overboard,' said Davies, hopefully

'I believe,' said Davies, 'that Dollmann did it off his own bat'

A charming book. Read to me originally my my mother, and listened to this past month while on my way back from dropping my oldest at school.
  ben_a | Nov 5, 2014 |
Forfatter: Erskine Childers

Boken beskriver to engelskmenns seilas i en knøttliten båt for vel 100 år siden. Området de seiler i er grunt og fullt av sandbanker, og to ganger i døgnet fylles og tømmes det av tidevannet. De gjør noen spennende oppdagelser om mulig invasjon av England... Boken har vært utgitt utallige ganger verden over og er også blitt filmatisert to ganger. På tross av at den ble skrevet for over hundre år siden, kan den leses som en moderne spenningsroman. Forfatteren og boken representerer hver for seg to meget interessante historier. Childers var ire, men kjempet for engelskmennene under Boerkrigen. Deretter ble han engasjert i IRA, der han drev med våpensmugling med sin 60 fot Colin Archer. Under første verdenskrig var han igjen å finne på britisk side. Boken fikk stor betydning for britenes forsvarstenkning.
Denne utgaven inneholder en epilog av forfatteren som ikke har vært publisert på norsk tidligere. Boken er glimrende oversatt av Jon Winge.
added by KystbiblioteketOslo | editFlyt Forlag, Anne Nygren

Apart from the political significance of the book, "The Riddle of the Sands" is fiction of a high quality. Its style and its permeating atmosphere of the sea suggest Conrad; and, like Conrad, the author takes us so thoroughly with him that our hearts beat with those of the perplexed voyagers, and we even share the smells and flavors of their cramped little yacht.

Erskine Childersprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Childers, Erskine C.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Drummond, MaldwinIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lesser, AntonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O'Connor, JohnIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whistler, DanielIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
[None]
I have read of men who, when forced by their calling to live for long periods in utter solitude - save for a few black faces - have made it a rule to dress regularly for dinner in order to maintain their self-respect and prevent a relapse into barbarism. It was in some such spirit, with an added touch of self-consciousness, that, at seven o'clock in the evening of 23rd September in a recent year, I was making my evening toilet in my chambers in Pall Mall.

Childers' lone masterpiece, "The Riddle of the Sands", considered the first modern spy thriller, is recognizable as the brilliant forerunner of the realism of Graham Greene and John le Carre. Its unique flavor comes from its fine characterization, richly authentic background of inshore sailing and vivid evocation of the late 1890s - an atmosphere of mutual suspicion and intrigue that was soon to lead to war.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:33 -0400)

The Riddle of the Sands is set during the long suspicious years leading up to the First World War and is a classic of spy fiction.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141031271, 0143106325

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,033,865 books! | Top bar: Always visible