The Battle for Spain: The Spanish Civil War…

The Battle for Spain: The Spanish Civil War 1936-1939 (original 1982; edition 2006)

by Antony Beevor

Member:ianracey
Title:The Battle for Spain: The Spanish Civil War 1936-1939
Authors:Antony Beevor
Info:Penguin (Non-Classics) (2006), Paperback, 560 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:20th century, military history, Second World War, Spanish history

The Battle for Spain: The Spanish Civil War 1936–1939 by Antony Beevor (1982)

English (21)  French (2)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (27)
If people are allowed to have a “favourite” civil war then my favourite would be the Spanish Civil War. This is especially true now that I realise that the War of the Sicilian Vespers was not a civil war (or about Vespas for that matter). The Spanish Civil War captures the attention more than other civil wars and Beevor has written an account of that war that, in my mind, is not matched by any other war history.

Beevor takes us on a tour of Spanish history leading up to the 1930s, and explains why such a destructive war could take place. He describes darkly humorous moments of history as well events that will haunt you long after you put the book down. He introduces us to the few heroes of the war (Dr Marcel Junod for one) as well as its many villains (Stalin, Mussolini, Franco, Hitler, the non-interventionist west et al.) and its turning points. In the end you can only think of “what ifs?” and marvel at Franco’s journey from Fascist pariah to key western ally.

I’ve been holding off reading other books by Beevor for fear they would suffer by comparison with “The Battle for Spain” but I’ve finally taken the plunge and am reading “Stalingrad”. Wish me luck. ( )
  MiaCulpa | Jan 15, 2016 |
Antony does it yet again, an excellent book exploring an often confusing subject. He shows us the layers of conflict between the varying factions involved and the exploitations by outside powers. Highly recommended. ( )
  Luftwaffe_Flak | Feb 6, 2014 |
Too complicated a subject for the usual Beevor delivery.Then again,I have yet to read a book on The Spanish Civil War that could come up with an engaging treatment. Perhaps the subject matter doesn't lend itself to reading entertainment on any level? The writer that cracks this is yet to come and I reckon its too late ,because the truth is all dead and buried. ( )
  KayHarker | Jul 5, 2013 |
Read during season 2 of Anubis. Told dad I wanted to learn more about the Spanish Civil War and he sent me this. Learnt almost everything I currently know (2013) in this book. Very informative and eye opening. ( )
  NathaliaR | May 31, 2013 |
A tragedy, excellently told. Good not only on the battle fronts but the social context and the plotting and posturing. Every detail is there down to the weaponry and logistics, the sad mistakes, the viciousness on both sides, the wetness of the rest of the world. At times i wept.
Intriguing is how the Communists were effective about encroaching on power but hopeless at military strategy, being only concerned for propaganda victories, ie suicidal frontal attacks. But behind it all is Stalin who didnt want them to win anyway - was it deliberate? That's not made clear.
My own reflection: Franco's Africanista army was the steelier part of the Spanish armed forces, but can't have been that good. They had the Nazis Condor airpower to soften up the Republicans who were barely professional, under-equipped and inwardly eroded by the Communists. Should have been a walk over for the fascists. ( )
1 vote vguy | Dec 17, 2012 |
Till Gonzalo Pontón med all min tacksamhet för hans hjälp.
For Gonzalo Pontón with all my gratitude for his help
"Ett inbördeskrig är inte ett krig utan en sjukdom", skrev Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
"A civil war is not a war but a sickness," wrote Antoine de Saint-Exupéry. (Introduction)
On an unsurfaced road in Andalucia or Estremadura, one of the first automobiles in Spain has broken down.

498 Spanish Martyrs

History of Málaga

History of Seville

Pyrkal

Ramon Vila Capdevila

Republican faction (Spanish Civil War)

Revolutionary Catalonia

Robert Hale Merriman

Sania Ramel Airport

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014303765X, Paperback)

A fresh and acclaimed account of the Spanish Civil War by the bestselling author of Stalingrad and The Fall Of Berlin 1945

To mark the 70th anniversary of the Spanish Civil War's outbreak, Antony Beevor has written a completely updated and revised account of one of the most bitter and hard-fought wars of the twentieth century. With new material gleaned from the Russian archives and numerous other sources, this brisk and accessible book (Spain's #1 bestseller for twelve weeks), provides a balanced and penetrating perspective, explaining the tensions that led to this terrible overture to World War II and affording new insights into the war-its causes, course, and consequences.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:11 -0400)

A comprehensive account of the Spanish Civil War that examines the tensions that led to the war, the global consequences of the conflict, the key figures on both sides, and other related topics.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,827,841 books! | Top bar: Always visible