Lucys Legacy: Sex and Intelligence in Human…

Lucys Legacy: Sex and Intelligence in Human Evolution (1999)

by Alison Jolly

52None337,439 (3)None

No reviews
I must put things in shape.
I wonder why.
Surely there's shape enough
In earth and sky?
I have to tidy rooms, fix flowers,
Paint, and phrase verses,
number hours,
change, meddle, analyze, reject, propound.
I have to bind things, even as
I am bound.
A.M.K.B.
For Richard B., Arthur, Susan, Margaretta, as ever, Richard, and in memory of my mother, Alison Mason Kingsbury Bishop.
Prologue:
Beyond the Copper Beech Tree

Female ringtailed lemurs wholly dominate their males.
The Evolution of Purpose
We evolved. We have only to look at the pouting face of a young chimpanzee to laugh at its reflection of ourselves.

Alison Jolly believes that biologists have an important story to tell about being human--not the all-too-familiar tale of selfishness, competition, and biology as destiny but rather one of cooperation and interdependence, from the first merging of molecules to the rise of a species inextricably linked by language, culture, and group living. This is the story that unfolds in Lucy's Legacy, the saga of human evolution as told by a world-renowned primatologist who works among the female-dominant ringtailed lemurs of Madagascar.

We cannot be certain that Lucy was female--the bones themselves do not tell us. However, we do know, as Jolly points out in this erudite, funny, and informative book, that the females who came after Lucy--more adept than their males in verbal facility, sharing food, forging links between generations, migrating among places and groups, and devising creative mating strategies--played as crucial a role in the human evolutionary process as "man" ever did. In a book that takes us from the first cell to global society, Jolly shows us that to learn where we came from and where we go next, we need to understand how sex and intelligence, cooperation and love, emerged from the harsh Darwinian struggle in the past, and how these natural powers may continue to evolve in the future.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:58 -0400)

Alison Jolly believes that biologists have an important story to tell about being human--not the all-too-familiar tale of selfishness, competition, and biology as destiny but rather one of cooperation and interdependence, from the first merging of molecules to the rise of a species inextricably linked by language, culture, and group living. This is the story that unfolds in Lucy?s Legacy, the saga of human evolution as told by a world-renowned primatologist who works among the female-dominant ringtailed lemurs of Madagascar. We cannot be certain that Lucy was female-the bones themselves do not tell us. However, we do know, as Jolly points out in this erudite, funny, and informative book, that the females who came after Lucy-more adept than their males in verbal facility, sharing food, forging links between generations, migrating among places and groups, and devising creative mating strategies-played as crucial a role in the human evolutionary process as ?man? ever did. In a book that takes us from the first cell to global society, Jolly shows us that to learn where we came from and where we go next, we need to understand how sex and intelligence, cooperation and love, emerged from the harsh Darwinian struggle in the past, and how these natural powers may continue to evolve in the future. Winner of the 1999 Professional/Scholarly Publishing Award of the Association of American Publishers, Sociology and Anthropology Category.Includes information on bonobos, chimpanzees, competition, cooperation, Charles Darwin, evolution, food and food supply, genes, gorillas, harems, kinship, language, lemurs, Japanese macaques, mating and mates, memes, menopause, monkeys, monogamy, natural selection, offspring, orangutans, poetry, sex, societies/social groups, tools and toolmaking, violence, war/warfare, etc.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,451,784 books! | Top bar: Always visible