An Irish Country Village: A Novel (Irish…

An Irish Country Village: A Novel (Irish Country Books) (original 2004; edition 2012)

by Patrick Taylor (Author)

Member:wyogal11
Title:An Irish Country Village: A Novel (Irish Country Books)
Authors:Patrick Taylor (Author)
Info:Forge Books (2012), Edition: Reprint, 576 pages

An Irish Country Doctor by Patrick Taylor (2004)

Recently added byKuosa, private library, onceinabluemoon, MLLincoln_Library, BettySwain
    All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot (cbl_tn)
    An Irish Country Christmas by Patrick Taylor (Sile)
    Sile: Same "Irish Country" series.
    A Dublin Student Doctor by Patrick Taylor (Sile)
    Sile: Same "Irish Country" series.
    An Irish Country Courtship by Patrick Taylor (Sile)
    Sile: Same "Irish Country" series.
    An Irish Country Girl by Patrick Taylor (Sile)
    Sile: Same "Irish Country" series.

English (51)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (53)
This is the first full novel chronicling the adventures of Doctor Fingal Flahertie O;Reilly who is a GP in the North Ireland village of Ballybucklebo. The focus of this novel is arrival of his new assistant Dr. Barry Laverty and how he adjusts to working in a small village with the eccentric O'Reilly and how he realizes what a wonderful teacher the older man is.

There is much humour as one would expect in a novel set in small village with many strange characters and there is romance with Laverty meeting the love of his life by accident on a train. Not all medical issues end well as both doctors miss diagnose ;medical issues which lead to death and injury but they also save lives and are both loved and respected by the village inhabitants. Great fun to read.

Taylor followed this effort with a series of novels set in the Ballybucklebo which also give the background on the doctors including how O'Reilly lost his wife in WW II which is hinted at in this novel. ( )
1 vote lamour | Feb 13, 2019 |
Re-read 2018

I've been drawn toward reading books set in Ireland since we're planning a trip there next year. I love this series set in the fictional Ballybucklebo, Northern Ireland. Young Doctor Barry Lafferty is in his second year in the town and a problem he had with a patient during his first comes back to cause him issues. This takes place in an Ireland that is still reeling from The Troubles, and has bits and pieces that cause issues between the Protestants and Catholics in the town. It's a snapshot of a country caught between it's past and all of the changes that the 1960's are bringing to the world. It's one of my favorite series and an auto-buy for me. ( )
Re-read 2018

I've been drawn toward reading books set in Ireland since we're planning a trip there next year. I love this series set in the fictional Ballybucklebo, Northern Ireland. Young Doctor Barry Lafferty is in his second year in the town and a problem he had with a patient during his first comes back to cause him issues. This takes place in an Ireland that is still reeling from The Troubles, and has bits and pieces that causes between the Protestants and Catholics in the town. It's a snapshot of a country caught between it's past and all of the changes that the 1960's are bringing to the world. It's one of my favorite series and an auto-buy for me. ( )
Re-read 2018

I love this series that takes place in a fictional Northern Ireland town in the early 60's. A fresh out of medical school doctor answers a want ad for an assistant in the small town of Ballybucklebo and his life will never be the same again. I don't want to say much about the book because there are some funny things that occur due to the townsfolk. I recommend this to fans of All Creatures Great and Small, it has the same readability as that series, though this time it's (mostly) about humans. ( )
  Diana_Long_Thomas | Aug 6, 2018 |
This book was so atmospheric and just what this teacher needed as an light, “almost summer” read. I’d recently visited the south of Ireland in March and fell in love with it - the seaside, the rolling hills speckled with sheep, the bustle of Dublin - and I wanted more of that feel. Though the storyline takes place in Northern Ireland, I felt as if I was back in bumping around on the backroads of the Irish countryside, enjoying its quaintness as its endearing people. I love reads like this set in places I wish I could visit or have been that are also sort of slow moving but provide just enough little moments in the plot to keep us thoroughly enjoying the story and its characters. Im looking forward to picking up the second one. ( )
  justagirlwithabook | May 8, 2018 |

Taylor, Patrickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Manchess, GregoryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Kate, Sarah, and David, with love
Barry Laverty--Doctor Barry Laverty--his houseman's year just finished, ink barely dry on his degree, pulled his beat-up Volkswagen Beetle to the side of the road and peered at a map lying on the passenger seat.
Never let the customers get the upper hand.
An Irish Country Doctor was published in Canada in 2004 under the title The Apprenticeship of Doctor Laverty.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765319950, Paperback)

Barry Laverty, M.B., can barely find the village of Ballybucklebo on a map when he first sets out to seek gainful employment there, but already he knows that there is nowhere he would rather live than in the emerald hills and dales of Northern Ireland. The proud owner of a spanking-new medical degree and little else in the way of worldly possessions, Barry jumps at the chance to secure a position as an assistant in a small rural practice.

At least until he meets Dr. Fingal Flahertie O’Reilly.

The older physician, whose motto is to never let the patients get the upper hand, has his own way of doing things. At first, Barry can’t decide if the pugnacious O’Reilly is the biggest charlatan he has ever met, or the best teacher he could ever hope for. Through O’Reilly Barry soon gets to know all of the village’s colorful and endearing residents, including:

A malingering Major and his equally hypochondriacal wife;

An unwed servant girl, who refuses to divulge the father of her upcoming baby;

A slightly daft old couple unable to marry for lack of a roof;

And a host of other eccentric characters who make every day an education for the inexperienced young doctor.

Ballybucklebo is long way from Belfast, and Barry is quick to discover that he still has a lot to learn about the quirks and traditions of country life. But with pluck and compassion and only the slightest touch of blarney, he will find out more about life—and love—than he ever imagined back in medical school.

An Irish Country Doctor is a charming and engrossing tale that will captivate readers from the very first page—and leave them yearning to visit the Irish countryside of days gone by.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:03 -0400)

Barry Laverty, a recent medical school graduate, jumps at the chance to join a rural practice in Ballybucklebo, Northern Ireland, until he meets his boss Dr. O'Reilly, a difficult older physician with his own way of doing things.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,406,732 books! | Top bar: Always visible