The Rough Guide to Unexplained Phenomena by…

The Rough Guide to Unexplained Phenomena

by John Michell, Bob Rickard

Explores the strange zone between the known and the unknown, a shadowy territory ranging from the astonishing to the bizarre.

I bought myself this as a birthday present. It's more money than I'd usually spend on a book, but I figured I should treat myself as it was my birthday. It turned out to be worth it -- it's the best book on the paranormal that I've ever read. It takes a neutral standpoint, presenting a variety of theories on each subject and mostly just reporting various unusual incidents. Instead of just telling the same old ghost and UFO stories that everybody's heard before, there are also chapters on more unusual things -- rains of fish or frogs, species that are thought to be extinct and then reappear, and people who lose items in the sea only to find them again in the stomach of the fish they are about to eat, and other interesting things. Get this book if you're at all interested in the unexplained!
1 vote curiositykate | May 22, 2009 |
The Virgin Mary’s recent visits to Boksburg prove that unexplained phenomena can occur anywhere – even on the East Rand – which makes this book doubly interesting.

Do not be mislead by the term ‘rough guide’: there is nothing rough in the serious and systematic synopsis of everything from teleportation to alien abduction, stigmata, lake monsters, hauntings and talking pets.

Nothing is ever debunked, scorned or explained away; instead the inexplicable is described, elucidated and contextualized. Primary source material may be taken from the not-always impartial Fortean Times, but it is still a fascinating and even convincing read. ( )
  adpaton | Nov 30, 2007 |

Michell, Johnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rickard, Bobmain authorall editionsconfirmed

The Rough Guide to Unexplained Phenomena is an exploration of the zone that lies between the known and the unknown, a shadowy territory that's home to the lake monsters, combusting people, teleporting frogs and man-eating trees. Taking a Fortean path between dogmatic scientists and credulous believers, the authors trace tales of wonder back to their sources, drawing from a huge archive of observations, opinions and discussions. This updated second edition boasts new illustrations and plenty of intriguing new sections from near death experiences to ghosts, haunted houses and mysterious mass deaths. There are many things which are not yet known or understood about our world - as this guide shows there are many riddles to solve and wonders to experience. Decide for yourself with The Rough Guide to Unexplained Phenomona

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,856,129 books! | Top bar: Always visible