Silver Pigs: A Detective Novel in Ancient…

Silver Pigs: A Detective Novel in Ancient Rome (original 1989; edition 1991)

by Lindsey Davis

Member:bragan
Title:Silver Pigs: A Detective Novel in Ancient Rome
Authors:Lindsey Davis
Info:Fawcett (1991), Mass Market Paperback, 241 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, paperback, read in 2012

The Silver Pigs by Lindsey Davis (1989)

Medicus by Ruth Downie (ianturton)
    ianturton: If you like roman detective stories like this one you'll love this one too.
    The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Although one is Greece-esque fantasy and the other is a Roman-era mystery, both share scrappy, compelling characters in the form of Gen and Marcus Didius Falco.
    Ovid by David Wishart (ryn_books)
    ryn_books: Book one of the Marcus Covinus mysteries, which are also set in Rome and also first person private eye noir,

English (52)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  English (54)
As much fun as I remembered it being. ( )
  gayla.bassham | Nov 7, 2016 |
Someone else's review from LT: Book Description The Silver Pigs is the classic novel which introduced readers around the world to Marcus Didius Falco, a private informer with a knack for trouble, a tendency for bad luck, and a frequently inconvenient drive for justice. When Marcus Didius Falco encounters the young and very pretty Sosia Camillina in the Forum, he senses immediately that there is something amiss. When she confesses that she is fleeing for her life, Falco offers to help her and, in doing so, he gets himself mixed up in a deadly plot involving stolen ingots, dangerous and dark political machinations, and, most hazardous of all, one Helena Justina, a brash, indomitable senator's daughter connected to the very traitors that Falco has sworn to expose.

My Review This is the first book of the Marcus Didius Falco Mystery series. It is a very different type of a detective series with witty jokes which makes for an enjoyable read. Lindsey Davis brings historical Rome of the Caesars in 70 AD very much alive. ( )
  flashflood42 | Nov 2, 2016 |
The Silver Pigs is the first book in the Marcus Didius Falco series by Lindsey Davis. Falco is an “informer” which is the 70 A. D. version of a private detective. One morning he's practically run over by a young girl, fleeing a group of scary looking pursuers. He rescues her and takes her to hide out in his apartment. She confesses they are after her because there's something hidden in her bank box and she's the only one who has the combination. When Falco opens up the box, he discovers an iron pig, which is a valuable bar of silver. Falco follows the trail of silver from Rome to the deadly silver mines of Britannia. Along the way, he connects the silver to a list of names that reveals a secret worth killing to protect. I really enjoy this time period in history. I thought the story had plenty of humor and intrigue. I liked Falco who seemed like a regular sort of guy who has a huge family that are constantly criticizing him. He has street smarts and is quite honorable. I learned some interesting things about ancient Rome and the mining business. Overall it was a good book but not a great book. Often that's the case with a first in series book so I'm going to give Falco another chance to wow me in Shadows in Bronze. " ( )
  Olivermagnus | Jun 16, 2016 |

My Review This is the first book of the Marcus Didius Falco Mystery series. It is a very different type of a detective series with witty jokes which makes for an enjoyable read. Lindsey Davis brings historical Rome of the Caesars in 70 AD very much alive. Stolen treasure takes Didius Falco into occupied Britain where he meets Helena Justina. The chemistry between Falco and Helena Justina also makes for a very charming love story. I look forward to continue with this series and I would recommend it for readers who enjoy historical mystery novels. ( )
  EadieB | Jun 1, 2016 |

I really enjoy this time period in history. I thought the story had plenty of humor and intrigue. I liked Falco who seemed like a regular sort of guy who has a huge family that are constantly criticizing him. He has street smarts and is quite honorable. I learned some interesting things about ancient Rome and the mining business. Overall it was a good book but not a great book. Often that's the case with a first in series book so I'm going to give Falco another chance to wow me in Shadows in Bronze. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Feb 9, 2016 |

Lindsey Davisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Edwards, MarkCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
González Trejo, HoracioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rodska, ChristianNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Richard
When the girl came rushing up the steps, I decided she was wearing far too many clothes.
I took all of my sisters and a dozen small children to watch Vespasian's Triumph. For that alone my soul deserves quiet rest in Elysian fields.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 031235777X, Mass Market Paperback)

When Marcus Didius Falco, a Roman "informer" who has a nose for trouble that's sharper than most, encounters Sosia Camillina in the Forum, he senses immediately all is not right with the pretty girl. She confesses to him that she is fleeing for her life, and Falco makes the rash decision to rescue her--a decision he will come to regret. For Sosia bears a heavy burden: as heavy as a pile of stolen Imperial ingots, in fact. Matters just get more complicated when Falco meets Helena Justina, a Senator's daughter who is connected to the very same traitors he has sworn to expose. Soon Falco finds himself swept from the perilous back alleys of Ancient Rome to the silver mines of distant Britain--and up against a cabal of traitors with blood on their hands and no compunction whatsoever to do away with a snooping plebe like Falco….

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:26:18 -0400)

"The Silver Pigs" is the classic novel which introduced readers around the world to Marcus Didius Falco, a private informer with a knack for trouble, a tendency for bad luck, and a frequently incovenient drive for justice. When Marcus Didius Falco encounters the young and very pretty Sosia Camillina in the Forum, he senses immediately that there is something amiss. When she confesses that she is fleeing for her life, Falco offers to help her and, in doing so, he gets himself mixed up in a deadly plot involving stolen ingots, dangerous and dark political machinations, and, most hazardous of all, one Helena Justina, a brash, indominable senator's daughter connected to the very traitors that Falco has sworn to expose.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,659,855 books! | Top bar: Always visible