Olive's Ocean by Kevin Henkes

Olive's Ocean (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Kevin Henkes

Member:BannedBooksLibrary
Title:Olive's Ocean
Authors:Kevin Henkes
Info:New York : Greenwillow Books, c2003.
Tags:Category: Fiction, Country: USA, Reason: Offensive Language, Reason: Sexual Content, Source: ALA 10 Most Challenged 2007, Time Period: 2000s, *Challenged Books

Olive's Ocean by Kevin Henkes (2003)

Martha is just twelve years old when a classmate's mother drops off a note. Olive Barstow died in an accident where she was hit by a car. On Martha's trip to visit her grandmother she has a realization about how fragile life and death are. She comes to appreciate the time that she has and to cherish those around her- especially her grandmother who is getting older.
  mercedeslillian | Mar 19, 2017 |
As the book opens, 12 year-old Martha is greeted by the mother of a classmate she barely knew, who was killed being hit by a car a few months earlier. The mother gives Martha a page from Olive's diary, which says, among other things, "I hope I will get to know Martha Boyle next year. I hope we will be friends. She is the nicest person in my whole entire class."

Shortly after this, Martha and her family go to visit her grandmother for a few weeks of the summer. The events take place there, involving her family, and a neighboring family with five stair-step boys. Martha ponders live and death, aging, and first love.

More thought provoking than most YA books. ( )
  fingerpost | Jan 29, 2017 |
Olive’s Ocean is a contemporary realistic fiction book. In the book, Martha is visited by the mother of a classmate named Olive. Olive died tragically, but had written a heartfelt journal entry about Martha prior to her death. What Olive wrote about Martha deeply affects her the entire summer. What can Martha do to honor Olive’s life? Hopefully, a family trip to the beach to visit her grandmother, Godbee, will help. Coincidentally, the ocean is one place Olive wanted desperately to visit. Will Martha be able to come to terms with Olive’s death at the beach? And will she be able to survive when Jimmy Manning, a local boy, does something horrifically embarrassing to her?
Kevin Henkes delights in this novel. By including Martha’s adolescent thoughts, “Da-ad. That is so embarrassing.” (p. 110) and her still babyish ways, “Martha formed a steeple out of her fingers, the way she had as a child doing hand rhymes.” (p. 64), Henkes beautifully captures her coming of age journey. This book would be great for teaching conflict, and how conflict relates to plot. ( )
  southpaw27 | Jul 1, 2016 |
It's kinda cool that this girl had her first 'romance' when she was only 12 & during a busy summer week - and learned, from it, not to be blindly trusting of boys - she's all set now, with the first big lessons already learned.

Note that the romance is actually just a smallish part of the story, but I'm sure other reviews, about the rest of the book, are more worth reading than anything I can say. To me, this is just another lovely MG story by one of my very favorite authors. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Olives Ocean is a sad book when it begins. It helps me realize that I need to meet other people than people who I think are just like me. Martha was in a class with a girl named Olive whom no one really knew. Everyone thought she was awkward. Olive ended up in a bike accident and was hit by a car and she died. Martha soon realized that she should have made friends with Olive when she was still alive. If you read this book, you will find a piece of paper from Olives diary that will change Martha's life forever. ( )
  CharlotteK10 | May 19, 2016 |

The book centers around Martha Boyle who gains perspective after a classmate, Olive, dies in a tragic accident. The two girls had many parallels in life, and could have been friends, but were not. The book follows Martha's many reflections and revelations about life and her path as she vacations at her family's beach house and begins a relationship with an unlikely neighbor boy.

Sometimes life can change in an instant

Martha Boyle and Olive Barstow could have been friends, but they weren't. Weeks after a tragic accident, all that is left are eerie connections between the two girls, former classmates who both kept the same secret without knowing it. Now, even while on vacation at the ocean, Martha can't stop thinking about Olive. Things only get more complicated when Martha begins to like Jimmy Manning, a neighbor boy she used to despise. What is going on? Can life for Martha be the same ever again?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:57 -0400)

On a summer visit to her grandmother's cottage by the ocean, twelve-year-old Martha gains perspective on the death of a classmate, on her relationship with her grandmother, on her feelings for an older boy, and on her plans to be a writer.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,410,516 books! | Top bar: Always visible