The Space Merchants by Frederik Pohl

The Space Merchants (1953)

by Frederik Pohl, C.M. Kornbluth (Author)

Series: Space merchants (1)

Jennifer Government by Max Barry (prezzey)
    prezzey: Two satirical takes on capitalism and consumerism in the future, a classic and a more recent work.
    The Green Hills of Earth by Robert A. Heinlein (Anonymous user)

English (29)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  Greek (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (34)
Uma sátira inteligente e genial ao mundo da publicidade ( )
  bruc79 | Jul 31, 2015 |
Having read this revised edition I know I read the original many years ago, but I have little memory of the older version except the encounter with the massive growing lump of chicken meat. It still has its attractions, good plot, points of satire, but I was not particularly absorbed until about two thirds of the way through. I enjoyed it and I can imagine it set a standard for other writers back in the 1950's. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
A genre-defining landmark of SF, classic on countless levels and even scarier and more relevant today than when it was written...six decades ago! ( )
  EnsignRamsey | Jun 29, 2015 |
This is an amazing work of speculative fiction. Originally written in 1952, it posits a world where consumerism rules (the highest ranking pooh-bahs being those in the advertising industry), senators do not represent people but corporations, and a vast mass of "consumers" are dominated by a very small elite class. So much in the dystopia resonates with the world we now live in, and the book was written even before the age popularized by "Mad Men"!

I did the love the book, but I can't give it 5 stars for the same weakness present in much science fiction: the authors create a highly intriguing universe, but the plot they set in motion sputters in comparison. A romance lies at the center of The Space Merchants, but it's not really very convincing. Further, the plot proceeds to an ending which is underwhelming.

Still, I'll remember this book for a long time. ( )
  kvrfan | Apr 25, 2015 |
"Consumerism is bad" and "advertisements are just capitalist propaganda" are two of those ideas that have been unoriginal and overdone since shortly after their conception, but the messages carry enough inevitable resonance with anyone living in the modern world that such sentiments can still be powerful when done right. Pohl is unfortunately not the man to do them right. Instead, Pohl gives us an equally unoriginal premise to go with these main ideas, namely a secret group of underground conspirators trying to bring the monolithic system down, with the book gradually revealing that nearly everyone of any importance has actually been a conspirator the whole time! By experiencing how the other half lives the narrator comes to learn that consumerism and capitalism isn't that great for everyone, and once he's been converted he gets the girl and life is looking up. Gee, thanks Mr. Pohl! Any nuance or creativity would've confused us readers! Do you think Pohl realized the irony in publishing a bland and entirely by-the-numbers science fiction book for mass consumption wherein he satirizes this exact sort of thing? My money is all on "no." ( )
  BayardUS | Dec 10, 2014 |

Frederik Pohlprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kornbluth, C.M.Authormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Negretti, AndreinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Powers, Richard M.Cover Artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stone, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thole, KarelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vasarely, VictorCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As I dressed that morning I ran over in my mind the long list of statistics, evasions, and exaggerations, that they would expect in my report.

It is the 20th Century, an advertisement-drenched world in which the big ad agencies dominate governments and everything else. Now Schoken Associates, one of the big players, has a new challenge for star copywriter Mitch Courtenay. Volunteers are needed to colonise Venus. It's a hellhole, and nobody who knew anything about it would dream of signing up. But by the time Mitch has finished, they will be queuing to get on board the spaceships.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,786,630 books! | Top bar: Always visible