The Space Merchants by Frederik Pohl

The Space Merchants (1953)

by Frederik Pohl, C.M. Kornbluth (Author)

Series: Space merchants (1)

Jennifer Government by Max Barry (prezzey)
    prezzey: Two satirical takes on capitalism and consumerism in the future, a classic and a more recent work.
    The Green Hills of Earth by Robert A. Heinlein (Anonymous user)

English (32)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  Greek (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (37)
A classic science fiction of the type Robert Heinlein called "if this goes on." In this case, consumerism rules the world and at the top of the pyramid are two advertising agencies. The numer two man at Schocken Associates finds himself dealing with a new, huge campaign, the underground Conservationists, and a possible illegal assassination attempt. Then it gets worse. Very readable, very recognizable, and light but suitably spooky.
  NickHowes | Mar 25, 2016 |
Lots of tongue and cheek stuff. Two men out of their depth go into space to try to make money. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
Not my usual cup of tea, and read as part of my university course, but very engaging and entertaining nonetheless. ( )
  jadedlioness | Dec 29, 2015 |
Uma sátira inteligente e genial ao mundo da publicidade ( )
  bruc79 | Jul 31, 2015 |
Having read this revised edition I know I read the original many years ago, but I have little memory of the older version except the encounter with the massive growing lump of chicken meat. It still has its attractions, good plot, points of satire, but I was not particularly absorbed until about two thirds of the way through. I enjoyed it and I can imagine it set a standard for other writers back in the 1950's. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |

Frederik Pohlprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kornbluth, C.M.Authormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Negretti, AndreinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Powers, Richard M.Cover Artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stone, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thole, KarelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vasarely, VictorCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As I dressed that morning I ran over in my mind the long list of statistics, evasions, and exaggerations, that they would expect in my report.

It is the 20th Century, an advertisement-drenched world in which the big ad agencies dominate governments and everything else. Now Schoken Associates, one of the big players, has a new challenge for star copywriter Mitch Courtenay. Volunteers are needed to colonise Venus. It's a hellhole, and nobody who knew anything about it would dream of signing up. But by the time Mitch has finished, they will be queuing to get on board the spaceships.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,388,556 books! | Top bar: Always visible