dismiss

Hazards of Time Travel: A Novel by Joyce…

Hazards of Time Travel: A Novel

by Joyce Carol Oates

1931299,365 (3.18)15
An ingenious, dystopian novel of one young woman's resistance against the constraints of an oppressive society, from the inventive imagination of Joyce Carol Oates "Time travel" -- and its hazards--are made literal in this astonishing new novel in which a recklessly idealistic girl dares to test the perimeters of her tightly controlled (future) world and is punished by being sent back in time to a region of North America -- "Wainscotia, Wisconsin"--that existed eighty years before.  Cast adrift in time in this idyllic Midwestern town she is set upon a course of "rehabilitation"--but cannot resist falling in love with a fellow exile and questioning the constrains of the Wainscotia world with results that are both devastating and liberating.   Arresting and visionary, Hazards of Time Travel  is both a novel of harrowing discovery and an exquisitely wrought love story that may be Joyce Carol Oates's most unexpected novel so far.… (more)

I found this book to be very disturbing. A dystopian society that deals in mind control. ( )
  Tammy_Dove | May 7, 2020 |
Hazards of Time Travel is a more insidious 1984, why use rats when people will do? A great and harrowing read, as a dissenter is reeducated without her own awareness. ( )
  ThomasPluck | Apr 27, 2020 |
This is one of the few (of the many I've read) books by Oates that I believe is poorly written and not a worthwhile read.

As punishment for speaking freely, Adrianne, a young woman in a dystopian future, is sent to a small university in Wisconsin in the late 1950's/early 1960's to serve her time. There, she becomes Mary Ellen. While warned of the dire consequences should she even hint at being from a different time (instantaneous combustion for herself? death for her entire family back in the future?) Mary Ellen falls in love with an assistant professor, Ira Wolfman, who she thinks is also from the future and serving time in the past. Much of the book consists of her moping about how much she "loves" him. Every action she takes is based on what she thinks would please him. These characters don't seem real, and many of their actions don't make sense. Nearly 40% of the ratings on Amazon were 1 or 2 star, with a common complaint being that the book read like a "morose school girl diary." ( )
  arubabookwoman | Mar 7, 2020 |
I was disappointed. This started out intriguing, but just sort of went nowhere. I'm sure others will enjoy it, but I was very startled when it ended. I kept waiting for something to happen. Good reader. I heard it on a Playaway from the library and really didn't like the navigation with that way of listening.
I don't know if the format colored my reaction.

I'm not a fan of dystopia, but do like time travel. This didn't really do either very well. It dwelt mostly on the emotions of Adriane/MaryEllen. A lot of boohooing which is understandable in the circumstances, but I expected some growth or resistance and that never happened. ( )
  njcur | Jul 27, 2019 |
This novel left me with so many wonderful questions, which also had me analyzing my own life and dreams, wondering if I could be from the future.

My friend suggested this book for me because the main character's name is said exactly like mine -- "Adriane" -- which was very cool. I did not listen to the audiobook so I did not get to hear my name said throughout the novel -- I read it and got to see my name not fully spelt correctly :-) It still made reading the novel sort of exciting. Also, I positively love my name and don't even have a nickname because I have a perfectly good name, so if I was go to back in time and have another forced upon me ... I would have reacted just as "Mary Ellen" did ... "That's not my name!"

Really interesting book! I kept expecting a different ending, which was sort of enjoyable. It wasn't entirely clear cut, even at the end you were still left with questions.

Adrianne ( )
  Adrianne_p | May 13, 2019 |

Oates, Joyce CarolAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Crowe, MichelleDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,450,936 books! | Top bar: Always visible