Steppenwolf (Penguin Modern Classics) by…

Steppenwolf (Penguin Modern Classics) (original 1927; edition 2001)

by Hermann Hesse

Member:catmistressel
Title:Steppenwolf (Penguin Modern Classics)
Authors:Hermann Hesse
Info:Penguin Classics (2001), Paperback, 256 pages
Collections:Owned Books

Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse (1927)

Narcissus and Goldmund by Hermann Hesse (PandorasRequiem)
    Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse (snipermatze)
    The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster (Smiler69)
    The Hothouse by Wolfgang Koeppen (Liondancer)
    Liondancer: Die Persönlichkeit des "Treibhaus"-Abgeordneten Keetenheuve erinnert mich sehr an den "Steppenwolf" Harry Haller.
    The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov (owen1218)
    Herzog by Saul Bellow (roby72)
    Nausea by Jean-Paul Sartre (GaryPatella)
    GaryPatella: The protagonist in Nausea has a very similar personality to the protagonist in Steppenwolf. Both books have that same gloomy feel to them.
    Abel Sanchez by Miguel de Unamuno (Neurasthenio)
    The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann (caflores)
    Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov (Smiler69)
    The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (roby72)

English (75)  Spanish (8)  German (5)  Italian (2)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (95)
30 Jahre später lese ich das Buch wieder - ich kann es mir kaum vorstellen - was habe ich damals darüber gedacht? Was hätte ich überhaupt denken können? Leider ist die Erinnerung weg. Ich verstehe und spüre jetzt die Stimmung und die Idee ziemlich genau, da ich bald 50 werde. Das Lesen hat mir große Freude bereitet, insbesondere weil ich im Original lesen könnte. Ich habe ein Bibliotheksexemplar gelesen, habe mir aber jetzt eins bestellt, es ist so ein Buch das man zuhause haben möchte. Es strahlt Ideen und kann immer wieder genommen und gelesen werden. ( )
  flydodofly | Aug 1, 2014 |
Mulle tundub, et peale 18 eluaasta saabumist pole ma lugenud enam ühtki raamatut, mis vaimustaks, inspireeriks. Jah, ma olen lugenud häid, huvitavaid ja põnevaid lugusid. Lugenud ja unustanud.
Mistõttu peale esimest 30 lehekülge olin vapustatud. Vau. VAU!!!! Miks pole mulle varem öeldud, et on olemas midagi sellist. Halloo!? Miks pidin ma lugema "Jutustust tõelisest inimesest" kui oli maailmas olemas "Stepihunt"?!

Tahaks järjest ja järjest tsitaate välja kirjutada ning pähe õppida. Raamat, mida peab lugema mitu korda. Mida pole kerge lugeda, sest laused on pikad ja tihedad ja sügavad. Aga samas nii haarav, et loed ja loed ja tahad teada, millega see ometi lõppeb. Kas on olemas vastused? Kas on olemas lahendused? Kas on olemas tasakaal?

Loe edasi
http://indigoaalane.blogspot.com/2012/02/hhesse-stepihunt.html ( )
  Indigoaalane | Jul 18, 2014 |
Disappointing. I had expected a better work from Hesse. ( )
  JVioland | Jul 14, 2014 |
When I first tried to read this in my early twenties, I had a dreadful time with it and abandoned it early on as I did not have the life experience to fully understand what Hermann Hesse was writing about. Now, almost twenty years later, I am transfixed and can identify with Harry Haller. Not an easy read and parts still went over my head but a must read none the less! We are all in some aspect The Steppenwolf. Hermann Hesse has created another brilliant novel. ( )
  allgenresbookworm | Jun 24, 2014 |
The novel starts well with a preface by the young man of the house where the Steppenwolf (Harry Haller) is lodging, but then bogs down in a long disquisition on Harry's suffering called "The Treatise on the Steppenwolf." I found these pages turgid and thought they might easily be skipped. It's not until Harry enters a dance hall around page 95 that we meet Hermine, who becomes a matriarchal-figure for him; Maria, who becomes his lover; and Pablo, the impresario who leads the band and become's Harry's drug supplier. Hermine and Harry are soul mates with a death wish. They do not see the possibility of peace in this world, but only after death, which is supposed to bring them release and fulfillment. The culmination of the book is a great ball where Harry dances until dawn and the subsequent psychedelic drug fest known as The Magic Theater--For Madmen Only. I can see why the novel was so popular during the 1960s. There is liberal guiltless consumption of street drugs, mind-blowing sex (straight), cross dressing, and passages in the so-called Magic Theater where Harry is clearly tripping. The book is a novel of ideas and it is a strange freestyle combination of Buddhism and Christianity that informs its spiritual quest. Read this roman philosophique, at least its first hundred pages, as a period piece. The material of the first half to my mind does not transcend its time of its composition, the mid-1920s, i.e. decadent Weimar Germany. In these early pages author Hesse is taken up with a number of ideas: Freudian psychoanalysis; Decartesian mind-body "dualism"; Jungian archetypes and the collective unconcious; Einstein's theory of relativity; everything Nietszche; and a lot of literature in which the double or doppleganger runs amok. (Poe, Robert Louis Stevenson are some English-language examples). But then we get to page 95. Thank God. ( )
  William345 | Jun 11, 2014 |

Bradac, JaroslavIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pocar, ErvinoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pocar, ErvinoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sorell, WalterEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book contains the records left us by a man whom, according to the expression he often used himself, we called the Steppenwolf.
Ah, Harry, we have to stumble through so much dirt and humbug before we reach home. And we have no one to guide us. Our only guide is our homesickness.
I had the taste of blood and chocolate in my mouth, the one as hateful as the other.

With its blend of Eastern mysticism and Western culture, Hesse’s best-known and most autobiographical work is one of literature’s most poetic evocations of the soul’s journey to liberation

Harry Haller is a sad and lonely figure, a reclusive intellectual for whom life holds no joy. He struggles to reconcile the wild primeval wolf and the rational man within himself without surrendering to the bourgeois values he despises. His life changes dramatically when he meets a woman who is his opposite, the carefree and elusive Hermine. The tale of the Steppenwolf culminates in the surreal Magic Theater—For Madmen Only!

Originally published in English in 1929, Steppenwolf ’s wisdom continues to speak to our souls and marks it as a classic of modern literature.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:25 -0400)

"With its blend of Eastern mysticism and Western culture, Hesse's best-known and most autobiographical work is one of literature's most poetic evocations of the soul's journey to liberation."--Publisher's website.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Four editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014118289X, 0141045531, 0241951526, 0141192097

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,735,112 books! | Top bar: Always visible