Steppenwolf (Penguin Modern Classics) by…

Steppenwolf (Penguin Modern Classics) (original 1927; edition 2001)

by Hermann Hesse

9,192107325 (4.02)211
Member:catmistressel
Title:Steppenwolf (Penguin Modern Classics)
Authors:Hermann Hesse
Info:Penguin Classics (2001), Paperback, 256 pages
Collections:Owned Books

Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse (1927)

Narcissus and Goldmund by Hermann Hesse (PandorasRequiem)
    Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse (snipermatze)
    Nausea by Jean-Paul Sartre (GaryPatella)
    GaryPatella: The protagonist in Nausea has a very similar personality to the protagonist in Steppenwolf. Both books have that same gloomy feel to them.
    The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster (Smiler69)
    The Hothouse by Wolfgang Koeppen (Liondancer)
    Liondancer: Die Persönlichkeit des "Treibhaus"-Abgeordneten Keetenheuve erinnert mich sehr an den "Steppenwolf" Harry Haller.
    Herzog by Saul Bellow (roby72)
    The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann (caflores)
    Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk (paradoxosalpha)
    paradoxosalpha: Fight Club could be read as an updated rewriting of Steppenwolf, with Hermine replaced by Tyler Durden, and the dance hall transformed to the fight club. Maria becomes Marla, and the Magic Theater becomes Operation Mayhem.
    The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov (owen1218)
    Abel Sanchez by Miguel de Unamuno (Neurasthenio)
    Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov (Smiler69)
    The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (roby72)

English (87)  Spanish (8)  German (4)  French (3)  Italian (2)  Catalan (2)  Dutch (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (108)
Bit dark ( )
  Bruce_Deming | Feb 5, 2016 |
Beautiful Herman Hesse. One of my all-timers. I think I'll go blow my brains out now. ( )
1 vote BooksForDinner | Feb 1, 2016 |
Howling. ( )
1 vote dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
Steppenwolf is about Harry Haller's spiritual crisis and his feelings of isolation from society. It is also about Haller's heeling from these emotional wounds. Hesse leaves it up to the reader to determine where the line between fantasy and reality lies and what the ultimate outcome of the book is.

This was a hard book to read, and I have to admit that I don't really get it. I'm still trying to decide whether it is brilliant or whether it is garbage. I don't think I'd recommend this book to anyone who isn't interested in an intense journey into spirituality. ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |
A journey through inner soul: Dueling polarities within one entity ( )
1 vote MetropolitanBlues | Oct 25, 2015 |

Bradac, JaroslavIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dekker, MauritsTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pocar, ErvinoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sorell, WalterEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book contains the records left us by a man whom, according to the expression he often used himself, we called the Steppenwolf.
Ah, Harry, we have to stumble through so much dirt and humbug before we reach home. And we have no one to guide us. Our only guide is our homesickness.
I had the taste of blood and chocolate in my mouth, the one as hateful as the other.

With its blend of Eastern mysticism and Western culture, Hesse’s best-known and most autobiographical work is one of literature’s most poetic evocations of the soul’s journey to liberation

Harry Haller is a sad and lonely figure, a reclusive intellectual for whom life holds no joy. He struggles to reconcile the wild primeval wolf and the rational man within himself without surrendering to the bourgeois values he despises. His life changes dramatically when he meets a woman who is his opposite, the carefree and elusive Hermine. The tale of the Steppenwolf culminates in the surreal Magic Theater—For Madmen Only!

Originally published in English in 1929, Steppenwolf ’s wisdom continues to speak to our souls and marks it as a classic of modern literature.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:28 -0400)

"With its blend of Eastern mysticism and Western culture, Hesse's best-known and most autobiographical work is one of literature's most poetic evocations of the soul's journey to liberation."--Publisher's website.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014118289X, 0141045531, 0241951526, 0141192097

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,140,536 books! | Top bar: Always visible