Steppenwolf (Penguin Modern Classics) by…

Steppenwolf (Penguin Modern Classics) (original 1927; edition 2001)

by Hermann Hesse

Member:catmistressel
Title:Steppenwolf (Penguin Modern Classics)
Authors:Hermann Hesse
Info:Penguin Classics (2001), Paperback, 256 pages
Collections:Owned Books

Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse (1927)

Narcissus and Goldmund by Hermann Hesse (PandorasRequiem)
    Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse (snipermatze)
    Nausea by Jean-Paul Sartre (GaryPatella)
    GaryPatella: The protagonist in Nausea has a very similar personality to the protagonist in Steppenwolf. Both books have that same gloomy feel to them.
    The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster (Smiler69)
    The Hothouse by Wolfgang Koeppen (Liondancer)
    Liondancer: Die Persönlichkeit des "Treibhaus"-Abgeordneten Keetenheuve erinnert mich sehr an den "Steppenwolf" Harry Haller.
    Herzog by Saul Bellow (roby72)
    The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann (caflores)
    The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov (owen1218)
    Abel Sanchez by Miguel de Unamuno (Neurasthenio)
    Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov (Smiler69)
    The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (roby72)

English (80)  Spanish (8)  German (5)  French (3)  Italian (2)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (101)
An example of a great inner conflict, where the civilized side of Harry Haller is in direct clash with the primitive wolf inside him, bringing him at times close to peril. The powerful Hermine reconciles the two sides a bit when she teaches him to dance, but then also deepens his conflict in regard to his relation with Maria and Pablo. A bit suffocating, but a potent drama, with clear influences from Carl Gustave Jung’s vision in action. ( )
  CorinneT | Aug 12, 2015 |
I'm not sure if Steppenwolf is me in 25 years or me now. I am sure, though, that this book is amazing. For madmen only. ( )
  trilliams | May 30, 2015 |
I read this book a long time ago, as a teenager, and thought it was the best thing ever. Re-reading it in my 20s, I could see where people felt it was a bit juvenile, but still it really hit the spot back then. ( )
  Amelia_Smith | May 2, 2015 |
I loved this book when I was a university student. It's a bit dated now. It was a good treatment on the reconciliation of the primitive animal side and the intellect. The anti-war attitude he held and his disgust as the Nazis fueled the population with jingoism is consistent with the attitudes of other German intellectuals at the time (see [b:Defying Hitler|65458|Defying Hitler|Sebastian Haffner|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1407081205s/65458.jpg|10802262]. ( )
  BBcummings | Dec 24, 2014 |
Arosusi on Herman Hessen pääteos. Se julkaistiin 1927, ja kuuluu eurooppalaisen kirjallisuuden klassikoihin. Teos on omaelämäkerrallinen psykologinen jännitysromaani. Siinä kaupungissa erakoitunut keski-ikäinen mies, joka tuntuu kyyniseltä ja maailmaa vihaavalta, ajautuu yllättäen aivan uusien alakulttuuripiirien pariin, jolloin hän virkistyy ja hylkää itsemurha-aikeensa. Hän rakastuu nuoreen naiseen ja joutuu pohtimaan uudestaan monia jo lukkiutuneita käsityksiään elämästä, ihmisestä ja kuolemasta. Teos on ajoittain unenomainen ja mystinen. Tämä on tuttua tyylis Hessen muusta tuotannosta. ( )
  JonPoh | Dec 11, 2014 |

Bradac, JaroslavIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dekker, MauritsTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pocar, ErvinoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sorell, WalterEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book contains the records left us by a man whom, according to the expression he often used himself, we called the Steppenwolf.
Ah, Harry, we have to stumble through so much dirt and humbug before we reach home. And we have no one to guide us. Our only guide is our homesickness.
I had the taste of blood and chocolate in my mouth, the one as hateful as the other.

With its blend of Eastern mysticism and Western culture, Hesse’s best-known and most autobiographical work is one of literature’s most poetic evocations of the soul’s journey to liberation

Harry Haller is a sad and lonely figure, a reclusive intellectual for whom life holds no joy. He struggles to reconcile the wild primeval wolf and the rational man within himself without surrendering to the bourgeois values he despises. His life changes dramatically when he meets a woman who is his opposite, the carefree and elusive Hermine. The tale of the Steppenwolf culminates in the surreal Magic Theater—For Madmen Only!

Originally published in English in 1929, Steppenwolf ’s wisdom continues to speak to our souls and marks it as a classic of modern literature.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:28 -0400)

"With its blend of Eastern mysticism and Western culture, Hesse's best-known and most autobiographical work is one of literature's most poetic evocations of the soul's journey to liberation."--Publisher's website.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014118289X, 0141045531, 0241951526, 0141192097

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,012,260 books! | Top bar: Always visible