Steppenwolf (Penguin Modern Classics) by…

Steppenwolf (Penguin Modern Classics) (original 1927; edition 2001)

by Hermann Hesse

Member:catmistressel
Title:Steppenwolf (Penguin Modern Classics)
Authors:Hermann Hesse
Info:Penguin Classics (2001), Paperback, 256 pages
Collections:Owned Books

Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse (1927)

Narcissus and Goldmund by Hermann Hesse (PandorasRequiem)
    Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse (snipermatze, chwiggy)
    Nausea by Jean-Paul Sartre (GaryPatella)
    GaryPatella: The protagonist in Nausea has a very similar personality to the protagonist in Steppenwolf. Both books have that same gloomy feel to them.
    The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster (Smiler69)
    The Hothouse by Wolfgang Koeppen (Liondancer)
    Liondancer: Die Persönlichkeit des "Treibhaus"-Abgeordneten Keetenheuve erinnert mich sehr an den "Steppenwolf" Harry Haller.
    Herzog by Saul Bellow (roby72)
    The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann (caflores)
    Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk (paradoxosalpha)
    paradoxosalpha: Fight Club could be read as an updated rewriting of Steppenwolf, with Hermine replaced by Tyler Durden, and the dance hall transformed to the fight club. Maria becomes Marla, and the Magic Theater becomes Operation Mayhem.
    The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov (owen1218)
    Abel Sánchez by Miguel de Unamuno (Neurasthenio)
    Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov (Smiler69)
    The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (roby72)

English (101)  Spanish (8)  German (6)  French (4)  Italian (2)  Catalan (2)  Dutch (1)  Norwegian (1)  English (125)
At first I wasn't sure about this book, but after a slow start this really became quite compelling. The story of Harry Haller, a middle aged misanthrope, the Steppenwolf of the title, a man who has closed himself of from the world, from love, desire, faith, from the very experience of life itself. He lives in a state of hatred, both of himself and the world, a world he feels out of step with, alienated from.

Slowly, after meeting a woman named Hermine, he is drawn back into the world, shown how to live, laugh and love again. The novel has many things to say about religion, sex, love, life and how we experience the world, far too much to go into in a review.

The novel becomes quite hallucinatory towards the end and we are never quite sure if what Haller goes through is 'real' in the true sense of the word. But he emerges a changed man, ready to re-engage with the world and live his life to the full. Carpe Diem indeed.

Highly recommended. ( )
  David.Manns | Nov 28, 2016 |
An important book to many, but the dream images were too insubstantial to really grab me. ( )
  soylentgreen23 | Jul 3, 2016 |
Ungdomskärlek som fortfarande engagerar. ( )
  Arwid | Jun 14, 2016 |
An older man takes a room in a quiet, respectable home and is closely watched by the landlady’s nephew. The older man is deeply troubled and taken to wandering the streets of the city at all hours of the night. Eventually he vanishes, leaving behind a manuscript describing his life of solitude, suicidal thoughts, and mad escapades of parties, violence, sex, and drugs under his dual personalities of introverted hermit and that of a wolf from the steppes. Steppenwolf is a much vaunted book of mysticism but I found it a difficult read for I was not interested in either of the dual personalities. No, it shouldn’t be on the list. ( )
  ShelleyAlberta | Jun 4, 2016 |
Well……. that certainly took me along for a tailspin! My brain is still in knots trying to digest this.
Here is my lame attempt to review a magnificent classic: 5 solid stars
First of all: I am not even sure what I was imagining going into this, but I was pleasantly surprised within the first few pages. To say this was well written would be an understatement of the century. It was beyond good writing, it was inventive, it was madness, it was brilliance… and all compacted into 218 pages of beautiful imagery and prose.
On a relatable level, I can certainly appreciate the battle of duel personality entities that the Steppenwolf/Harry battled against. That alone was a beautiful concept. I found the solitude and mundane parts actually interesting and not lifeless, being as I can relate to that sort of thing as well. I had no complaints there.
Once he meets Hermine, I enjoyed a beautiful and yet so tragic love story. That alone was a beautiful aspect. I was in love with the part where the characters are at the Masked Ball, that was my absolute favorite section of the book.
All hell breaks lose for me when he enters the Mad House…. I am still trying to get a grip on what I read during this segment. I think as a reader, we will all comprehend this part differently. For me, as he was forced to watch all the unpleasant parts of life,,, it was a test to see if he has truly healed himself of his inner beast ways.
But of course…
He failed…
The wolf always wins. 

He killed his only true love before he could even begin to enjoy her...
Because he couldn't contain his inner beast.
That tore my heart out.

Bradac, JaroslavIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dekker, MauritsTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pocar, ErvinoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sorell, WalterEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book contains the records left us by a man whom, according to the expression he often used himself, we called the Steppenwolf.
Ah, Harry, we have to stumble through so much dirt and humbug before we reach home. And we have no one to guide us. Our only guide is our homesickness.
I had the taste of blood and chocolate in my mouth, the one as hateful as the other.

With its blend of Eastern mysticism and Western culture, Hesse’s best-known and most autobiographical work is one of literature’s most poetic evocations of the soul’s journey to liberation

Harry Haller is a sad and lonely figure, a reclusive intellectual for whom life holds no joy. He struggles to reconcile the wild primeval wolf and the rational man within himself without surrendering to the bourgeois values he despises. His life changes dramatically when he meets a woman who is his opposite, the carefree and elusive Hermine. The tale of the Steppenwolf culminates in the surreal Magic Theater—For Madmen Only!

Originally published in English in 1929, Steppenwolf ’s wisdom continues to speak to our souls and marks it as a classic of modern literature.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:28 -0400)

"With its blend of Eastern mysticism and Western culture, Hesse's best-known and most autobiographical work is one of literature's most poetic evocations of the soul's journey to liberation."--Publisher's website.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014118289X, 0141045531, 0241951526, 0141192097

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,658,011 books! | Top bar: Always visible