The Land of Night by Kirby Crow

The Land of Night is a bit longer than the first two books, and there's a lot going on -- it's much more political than the first book, and more evenly paced than the second. There were a lot more likeable characters than in the second book, too -- Nadiushka, Cestimir, Jochi... It isn't at all gentle with those characters, so of course I got my heart bruised a little, but still -- it was better with them than if they hadn't been present or if they'd been unlikeable.

The world-building does come to a head fairly satisfactorily, here. I wish there had been more of a lead-up to the reveal, in some ways, because it touches on a more science fiction-like theme, where it was all fantasy before... I think there's more a problem in the minds of readers than anything else, though, because the clues are there and there's nothing to stop a fantastical world having technology or space exploration or whatever. We're creating a world other than our own, but it usually obeys most of the same rules of the world that we know.

The conflicts and misunderstandings between Liall and Scarlet are well handled, I think. Nothing too ridiculous -- a real threat to their relationship -- but not things I would stop respecting real people for forgiving and forgetting.

I've read that there will be another book, and I'm glad. I do think this is a satisfactory end, but... I do want more, too. I hope Liall and Scarlet continue to grow and accept each other and their situation -- and I want to see how it plays out. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
I really enjoyed following Scarlet and Liall's journey through all three books. I've always loved fantasy novels and read lots of them, and Scarlet and the White Wolf was an awesome fantasy trilogy. It'll definitely go on my list of favorites.

I only finished the Land of Night today. And I read all three books one right after the other, so it feels like I read one long book, rather than three separate ones. There was a fairly satisfying end that also felt an awful lot like beginning. I can't help but hope for more of Scarlet and Liall's story. Scarlet learned all those new things about his people's history, and he said he knew where it was! (Trying to be vague so it's not a spoiler.)

The magic was interesting, even if it wasn't a real big part of the story. It was a first -- to me, at least -- reading about a fantasy world where the people in it didn't believe that magic was real. ( )
  Nightcolors | Apr 8, 2013 |
Scarlet and Liall continue to navigate the treacherous court of Rshani nobility and their feelings for each other.

This was almost a satisfactory ending for this fantasy trilogy, certainly one I can live with if not all together what I would have hoped for. I found all the characters, especially Jochi and Cestimir in addition to Scarlet and Liall, to be very appealing. The book moved quickly and kept me interested, I especially enjoyed seeing the hidden mythology all come together.

Certainly this was an interesting fantasy with lots of character and plot development throughout the three books. If you have a mind to enjoy character driven fantasy, don't mind the gay relationship angle and can get all three volumes at once I'd recommend it. ( )
  Jenson_AKA_DL | Feb 7, 2010 |
An epic conclusion to an ageless saga...

After two books that patiently have prepared us to this third, we can read the final enstallment of this saga: Scarlet, the poor and simple hilurin pedlar, has became Keriss kir Nazheradei, the twice beloved, the t’aishka of Liall, prince Nazir.

Liall the White Wolf, is the eldest in life son of the realm of Rshan and his mother, the queen, wants that he helps his little brother Cestimir to become King. But the court is like all the court, vicious and lethal, and Liall keeps to many secrets with Scarlet. He fears that his little Scarlet, his honest pedlar, will leave him if he would know the true of his life.

So Liall cages Scarlett in a gold prison, but a prison is always a prison, and Scarlett is young and unquite. And then Scarlet has secrets of his own.

Liall is older and experienced, but not in matter of love. He judges himself not worthy of the love of Scarlet, so he prefers to hide in the shadows of the court and to keep Scarlet in the darkness of ignorance. The dark of the winter suites well the dark of the court.

Also Scarlet his unsecure of the love of Liall and all the unsaid words around him prevent him to find a place in the court.

Liall and Scarlet are two unperfect characters, in their lack lays their strenght. This is not a 'classical' romance, I consider it more a shakespearean drama. And I love a good shakespearean drama...

1 vote elisa.rolle | Oct 10, 2008 |
The third installment of Scarlet and the White Wolf is not just the culmination of of the story; it's the whole meat of the story. The first book was set-up and foreshadowing. The second was journeying. In the third part, the reader finally sees fruition for all that set-up.

This book had plenty of action, angst, and intruige. It offered good conclusions to the characters' personal aspects, and cast light on some foggy world-building. It also left a bunch of new questions unanswered. Nonetheless, I enjoyed this story the most of the trilogy, since it was the most purposeful. In my opinion, the previous two installments were too dependent upon this final book to be stand-alones. ( )
  imayb1 | Jan 1, 2008 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,097,104 books! | Top bar: Always visible