Heiress for Hire by Erin McCarthy

Heiress for Hire (edition 2006)

by Erin McCarthy

Member:MissMac
Title:Heiress for Hire
Authors:Erin McCarthy
Info:Berkley Publishing Group (2006), Paperback, 304 pages

Heiress for Hire by Erin McCarthy

Erin McCarthy is a hoot. SOP for her books is lots of humor, memorable characters, and quirky attitudes. ( )
  lesmel | Jul 12, 2013 |
2 1/2 stars

I probably wouldn't have picked this one up on my own, but it was left up for grabs at our work castoff table so I figured I'd give it a shot. The plot line was farfetched in a lot of ways, but it was funny and light and just what I needed right now.

A rich heiress runs off to a middle of no where town named Cuttersville trying to escape her problems and boredom. Now if I'm bored regardless of being rich or not Cuttersville, Ohio is not the first place I would think of to go, but okay I went with. The story took off pretty quickly after the first page and you learn that Amanda, the wealthy heiress, is surprise, surprise much deeper than what she is given credit for. Of course Danny, the poor farmer, sees this deepness right away. *rolls eyes* As if that farfetched plot is not bad enough the author decided to throw in a crying ghost for the hell of it. Mmmm hmmm, I'm still trying to work that one out.

Despite all this I still enjoyed it. I found lines like this one: "Men are alike. Different dick, but still the same prick" funny. Plus, the smuttiness of the novel more than made up for its silly premise. Mmmm, I never thought farmers could be so sexy, but yeah there you have it. ;) ( )
  Jaguar897 | Mar 31, 2013 |
A rich girl from the city on vacation in the country gets cut off from her father’s money. She gets a job as nanny and housekeeper for a local farmer and falls in love.

What was supposed to be a light, mindless read turned into a wonderfully engaging story. Characters, especially our heroine Amanda, are well-conceived and entertaining. It’s a sweet and funny story, with as much emphasis on Amanda’s self-discovery as the developing relationship between her and farmer Danny. If this book is any indication, Erin McCarthy will be finding her way onto my 'Must Read' list. ( )
  TheBooknerd | Mar 11, 2010 |
The heroine Amanda is a rich girl whose father has cut her off in an attempt at tough love. Danny gets a big surprise when his eight year old daughter Piper, who he had no idea existed, is dumped on his doorstep. Danny is a wonderful beta hero who becomes an instant father and knows instinctively how she is starved for love and attention. I'm not crazy about children in romance but as long as they are well behaved I can tolerate them. Piper has been terribly neglected and emotionally abused and it doesn't take Danny and Amanda (and the reader) long to fall in love with her. Amanda was a bit shallow and I didn't completely buy her transformation from a spoiled rich girl whose only concern is her clothes, hair, shoes, etc. into a responsible adult that takes care of Piper while Danny works on the farm. The humor was good and not too silly but I didn't see the need for the paranormal aspect with the ghost. I loved the way Amanda related with Piper and understood her needs. Amanda's character growth was believable but the ending resolution with her father was a bit too convenient. (Grade: B) ( )
  reneebooks | Sep 8, 2009 |
An enjoyable contemporary romance about a shallow Paris Hilton-like heiress who is disowned by her father, moves to a small town, and starts working as a babysitter for a single father farmer (newly in charge of an eight-year-old daughter). The two opposites, of course, fall in love and the heiress finds out what's really important in life. An extraneous ghost subplot falls flat, but McCarthy writes likable, human characters in a way that reminds me of Susan Elizabeth Phillips. A sweet summer read, recommended for romance fans. ( )
  allthesedarnbooks | Aug 27, 2009 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425207617, Paperback)

Chicago socialite Amanda Delmar thought spending the summer in Cuttersville-Ohio's most haunted town-would be a hoot, until dearold-Dad cut her off. Now Amanda has to do the unthinkable and get... A JOB. Her attempts at joining the job market would crack up farmer Danny Tucker, if he weren't so turned on by the skinny, bronzed blonde. Hiring Amanda to babysit his baby girl may not be the smartest thing Danny has ever done. But seeing how she and her couture-clad poodle bring a smile to his shy daughter's face makes it all worthwhile. Now all Danny has to figure out is how to keep Amanda at arm's length, when she has already wriggled her way into his heart.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:23 -0400)

Chicago socialite Amanda Delmar thought spending the summer in Cuttersville would be a hoot, until dear old Dad cut her off. Now Amanda has to do the unthinkable and get... A JOB.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,815,209 books! | Top bar: Always visible