Into the Woods: John James Audubon Lives His…

Into the Woods: John James Audubon Lives His Dream (edition 2011)

by Robert Burleigh, Wendell Minor (Illustrator)

11913101,247 (3.56)1
Member:dareone32988
Title:Into the Woods: John James Audubon Lives His Dream
Authors:Robert Burleigh
Other authors:Wendell Minor (Illustrator)
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (2011), Paperback, 40 pages
Tags:nonfiction, biography, 40p, 900s, 500s, 2nd-8th, John Audubon, nature, birds, human spirit

Into the Woods: John James Audubon Lives His Dream by Robert Burleigh

I had mixed feelings about this book. I really liked it for one reason, but then the other part really drew me back from enjoying it. I really liked how the author used two ways to describe and explain John James Audubon. The author first wrote the story about John James Audubon and his dreams and then underneath each story excerpt was a little part of a journal entry written by John. This may not be his actual journal writings, but the author put it in script handwriting and it gave readers the chance to see how Audubon was feeling and what he was thinking about during certain moments in his life. I didn’t really like the story aspect of this book. It didn’t really teach me much about John James Audubon, it only described his dream and how he was trying to gain acceptance from his father. The story was also told in rhymes which I didn’t deem appropriate for a biography. This definitely would make it more appealing for readers to want to read, but I didn’t find it helpful in learning anything about the man. The main message of this story would be to explain John James Audubon’s dreams to readers. ( )
  tthomp19 | Oct 18, 2016 |
The art by Minor tells more of the story than the text by Burleigh, I think. It's gorgeous. I think it's rather a shame it overwhelms the samples of Audubon's own work; I hope readers are inspired to look for more of those classic works. I definitely appreciated the sample of text from Audubon's journals... but it's a shame they were in a script my old eyes couldn't quite make out completely.

In any case, this book beautifully captures the essence of the man and his lifework, but it's not a real biography with enough detail for a school report or such. However, I do recommend it. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
This is a great book to read to my students about nature and its surroundings. This book is also about James Audubon which would be a great topic to talk about since we have a zoo that is named after him. I would make a lesson plan about things relating to Audubon and nature to help students get a learning experience of him as well as nature. ( )
  kdufrene | May 1, 2015 |
This book is about an artists who's dream is the paint the nature around him and everyday record in art form what he sees. He loves nature and just wants to share what he sees with the world around him. He wants to listen to the birds and feel the water and be one with the nature around him. Everyday he describes a different scene in nature that he paints and everyday he falls more in love with nature. ( )
  sarahetuemmler | Mar 9, 2015 |
This book is a dual text. One part of each page is an actual journal entry from Audubon, and the other part is the author's interpretation in poetry form. This book is an excellent mentor text to use when teaching primary sources as well as poetry. I am designing a lesson on primary source documents for social studies and will use this book as a model for my students. ( )
  kris0812 | Nov 24, 2012 |

Robert Burleighprimary authorall editionscalculated
Minor, WendellIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

As a young man, John James Audubon, the renowned American woodsman and artist, had to make a choice between following his father's dreams for him and discovering his own special destiny. In this beautifully conceived book, Robert Burleigh imagines a conversation in which Audubon tells his father why he has chosen to forgo the ordinary life of a shop-keeper and instead live out in nature to develop his art and his relationship with the world. Illustrated not only with sumptuous images by Wendell Minor, but with actual drawings by Audubon himself, this book will appeal to his fans of all ages.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:17 -0400)

Uses quotes from his journals to help explore Audubon's decision to follow his dream to paint every bird species in North America.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,731,376 books! | Top bar: Always visible