The Light Before Day (Nantucket Legacy) by…

The Light Before Day (Nantucket Legacy)

by Suzanne Woods Fisher

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
As an amateur genealogist and avid reader, I often choose books "related" to our families. Since both my spouse and I are kin to Nantucket founders, I was eager to read The Light Before Day, by Suzanne Woods Fisher. ...more ( )
  K_T_C | Jan 8, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Author Suzanne Fisher has written several historical fiction books about religious sects including her latest series, Nantucket Legacy. Nantucket is an island off the coast of Massachusetts and now a playground for the rich and famous. The descendants of the foundering fathers would be astounded by the contrast of the modern Nantucket and their small village.

Nantucket Island's original Native American inhabitants, the Wampanoag people, lived undisturbed until 1641 when the island was deeded by the English to Thomas Mayhew, a merchant. Nantucket's settlement by the English did not begin in earnest until 1659 when Thomas Mayhew sold his interest to a group of investors, led by Tristram Coffin (my ninth great-grandfather). The "nine original purchasers" were Tristram Coffin, Peter Coffin, Thomas Macy, Christopher Hussey, Richard Swain, Thomas Barnard, Stephen Greenleaf, John Swain, and William Pike.

The Light of Before Day is a story of brother and sister, Hitty and Henry Coffin Macy. The brother and sister inherit their Grandmother's estate which came with several stipulations including the fact that both of them must marry members in good standing of the Quaker religion. Both Hitty and Henry are modest and humble and do not wish to inherit the money but agree to do so to help the people of Nantucket.

Mix with history and romance, the reader will enjoy this read. ( )
  Gingersnap000 | Jan 3, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was pleased to receive the third installment of this series from the Early Reviewer program as well as the first two. I've learned a lot of history of whaling and an area of the country I haven't yet had the privilege to visit, but have added to my bucket list. ( )
  eliorajoy | Jan 2, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I enjoyed this story but since I've been sick, I'm not sure how much it actually dragged at first or was me. I received this book for free and I've voluntarily chose to review it. I've given it a 4.5* rating. There was a lot going on in this story, including going back and forth in time. Lots of interesting facts that are around the time of the civil war starting and a lot of immigration going on. Mix religion, and women's rights into this and you pretty much have a boiling pot. A very interesting ending. ( )
  NancyLuebke | Dec 28, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Hitty and Henry's grandmother leaves them a large inheritance, but there are strings attached. Within six years they must both marry a Quaker from Nantucket as well as keep all the money on the island. Hitty wants nothing to do with the money, but Henry decides that they can help their fellow islanders by agreeing to the conditions.

Much of this book is slow-moving as the conflicts between the characters and their society are never completely developed. The interspersion of 17th century diary entries with the mid-1800's concerns with abolitionism and integration issues leads to a satisfactory, but unsurprising, ending. This book will primarily be of interest to those wishing to know more about the history of Nantucket. (It should be noted that I have not read the previous two books in this series). ( )
  milibrarian | Dec 21, 2018 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Suzanne Woods Fisher's book The Light Before Day is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,583,662 books! | Top bar: Always visible