The Light Before Day (Nantucket Legacy Book…

The Light Before Day (Nantucket Legacy Book #3) (edition 2018)

by Suzanne Woods Fisher (Author)

3519469,478 (4.1)None
Member:milibrarian
Title:The Light Before Day (Nantucket Legacy Book #3)
Authors:Suzanne Woods Fisher (Author)
Info:Revell (2018), 368 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:historical fiction, Christian historical romance, Nantucket, Massachusetts

The Light Before Day (Nantucket Legacy) by Suzanne Woods Fisher

“Henry, this . . . fortune, this sudden wealth . . . I fear it will change our lives. And I don’t want my life to change.” After three years on a whaling voyage, Henry Macy returns to Nantucket to news that his grandmother has passed, bequeathing her vast fortune to him and his sister, Hitty. And it was truly vast. But Lillian Coffin was no fool. The inheritance comes with a steep cost, including when each should marry and whom—a Quaker in good standing, of course. But if they relinquish the inheritance, it all goes to Tristram Macy, their father’s thieving business partner. As Hitty and Henry seek a way to satisfy the will’s conditions, they’ll be faced with obstacles on every side—and it may be that Lillian Coffin will have the last word after all.

My Thoughts: This is the third book in the series and it doesn't disappoint! Suzanne Woods Fisher has done another incredible job with this series. In this book, it focuses on the twins Hitty and Henry and the inheritance left to them by their grandmother.

Historians will enjoy the fact that the novel is based on true events that occurred during 1837-1846. The author has done extensive history on Nantucket and the sea captains. This novel does deal with the controversy of integration ( the segregated schools).

I've enjoyed this series, especially reading Great Mary's journal and I believe readers will enjoy this book as well. The reader doesn't need to read the first two books to enjoy this novel, but it would help with some of the histories of the family. ( )
  MaryAnnB1964 | Mar 1, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
“The Light Before Day” by Suzanne Woods Fisher is Book 3 of her Nantucket Legacy series and can be a stand alone read. My familiarity with Fisher’s work has been limited to a few “Amish” novels. With this series she has created a cast of characters within the Quaker tradition living on Nantucket Island. Billed by the publisher as an historical romance, the story does have a heroine in Hitty, an almost 30 year old, who is seeking the eyes of Issac. When Benjamin, the estate clerk, proposes, Hitty accepts that Issac does not view her with the lens and accepts the proposal of a quick wedding. In typical romance fashion, there are twists to the tale that come to light quickly as the novel draws to a close. Romance aside, I found the setting of Nantucket 1830s to be a time period not overly worked and one that leant strong plot opportunities: Quaker faith, societal changes with segregation and education, down turn in the whaling industry, and a devastating island fire. I enjoyed this novel and plan to seek others in the series. I received my copy through LibraryThings’s Early Reviewer program. ( )
  Dawn1361 | Jan 23, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I loved this novel at the beginning. It was refreshing to me to read a novel with Quaker characters instead of Amish. I did lose interest around the middle of the book. I will try to get through it at a later date.
I received this novel through LT for my honest review. ( )
  croknot1 | Jan 17, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
As an amateur genealogist and avid reader, I often choose books "related" to our families. Since both my spouse and I are kin to Nantucket founders, I was eager to read The Light Before Day, by Suzanne Woods Fisher. ...more ( )
  K_T_C | Jan 8, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Author Suzanne Fisher has written several historical fiction books about religious sects including her latest series, Nantucket Legacy. Nantucket is an island off the coast of Massachusetts and now a playground for the rich and famous. The descendants of the foundering fathers would be astounded by the contrast of the modern Nantucket and their small village.

Nantucket Island's original Native American inhabitants, the Wampanoag people, lived undisturbed until 1641 when the island was deeded by the English to Thomas Mayhew, a merchant. Nantucket's settlement by the English did not begin in earnest until 1659 when Thomas Mayhew sold his interest to a group of investors, led by Tristram Coffin (my ninth great-grandfather). The "nine original purchasers" were Tristram Coffin, Peter Coffin, Thomas Macy, Christopher Hussey, Richard Swain, Thomas Barnard, Stephen Greenleaf, John Swain, and William Pike.

The Light of Before Day is a story of brother and sister, Hitty and Henry Coffin Macy. The brother and sister inherit their Grandmother's estate which came with several stipulations including the fact that both of them must marry members in good standing of the Quaker religion. Both Hitty and Henry are modest and humble and do not wish to inherit the money but agree to do so to help the people of Nantucket.

Mix with history and romance, the reader will enjoy this read. ( )
  Gingersnap000 | Jan 3, 2019 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Suzanne Woods Fisher's book The Light Before Day is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,400,453 books! | Top bar: Always visible