Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Once in Every Life by Kristin Hannah

Once in Every Life (1992)

by Kristin Hannah

198887,097 (3.67)1 / 11

Very enjoyable book. Main character is a strong woman with lots of patience, understanding and love. ( )
  soosthemoose | Aug 3, 2017 |
This was a light holiday read for those who enjoy romantic, historical fiction. I liked Tess and how she helped bring a father and his children together to create a family, but I quickly became tired of Jack's martyred disposition and his sense of self-loathing. Whilst an easy read, "Once in Every Life" was not one of the author's best offerings. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Oct 9, 2016 |
I wish I hadn't wasted my time reading the whole thing. The plot was entirely predictable. And the writing suffered from many continuity failures. They niggled. Where the heck was the editor? ( )
  2wonderY | Nov 23, 2015 |
I don't like time travel books. They always seem unrealistic in obvious "break my suspension of disbelief" ways. This book, though, seems to pull of the concept fairly well. Yes, the time travel is couched as reincarnation; but it's still time travel. The main character is in no way prepared for being dropped 120 years in the past. The only strange bit is the weird way the author tries to maintain the tension in the story.

**This was an advanced reader copy won through the LibraryThing Early Reviewers program.** ( )
  lesmel | Apr 17, 2015 |
The story was holding my attention even though the events were kind of hokey and unbelievable but after awhile I got real tired of the hero's resistance to the situation and started skimming. Tess falls into Jack's family but he is a bitter lonely man.
  Dawn772 | Jan 29, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0449148386, Mass Market Paperback)

Tess Gregory's brilliant career as a research scientist hides her longings for husband and child. Though deaf, she is a free spirit -- a woman full of life and love. She is struck down all too soon.
But for Tess, a new life begins at her death, in post-Civil War America. She is now Amarylis Rafferty, wife and mother of three -- and she can hear. Shocked and disoriented by her new surroundings, she is drawn into the savage heartache burdening the family, especially her husband, Jack, a man who fears himself capable of anything.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:38 -0400)

For research scientist Tess Gregory, a new life begins at her death. In the post-Civil War South, she becomes Amaryllis Rafferty and is propelled into a pioneer world, where she dares to love a man who doesn't dare to love at all.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,482,493 books! | Top bar: Always visible