Sex, Lies, and Online Dating by Rachel…

Sex, Lies, and Online Dating (edition 2006)

by Rachel Gibson

Member:koalalover
Title:Sex, Lies, and Online Dating
Authors:Rachel Gibson (Author)
Info:Avon Books (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:***
Tags:contemporary, romance, chic lit, read in 2012, Lucy Rothschild & Quinn McIntyre, read in 2013

Sex, Lies, and Online Dating by Rachel Gibson

Lucy Rothschild, mystery writer, is doing a research on online dating. Her next book is about a serial killer who kills people she met online so Lucy is doing the same, minus the murders. She is just doing her job.
Quinn ('hardluvnman') is also doing his, dating women who are the most likely suspects in the serial killer case. Someone has already killed three men and Quinn's job is to find the killer. He didn't expect to be this attracted to one of the suspects though. Neither Lucy expected to be attracted to her latest test subject.

What kind of relationship based on lies could the two have anyway? It takes a while for Quinn to be a hundred percent certain Lucy is not the killer. Not that it made any difference to him the way he gets crazy around her.
This book is an entertaining story, but neither of the characters is anything special. They are sort of judgemental towards the people who use online dating sites. They both believe something is wrong with the other one. Their lust at first sight was a bit over the top, but it didn't distract from the story much.

And there is that TSTL moment near the end. If a killer contacts you and you are in serious danger, you do not leave a safe place to meet an acquaintance!

Lucy has three friends who are also authors (different genres). Each book in this series features one of them. The way this one ends regarding one of Lucy's friends is pretty weird.
  Aneris | Aug 12, 2016 |
Lucy Rothschild, mystery writer
Quinn, Cop looking for 'female' serial killer - online dating ( )
  sharon-williams | Jun 16, 2016 |
Sex, Lies and Online Dating
3.5 Stars

While conducting research for her latest mystery novel, Lucy Rothschild becomes the prime suspect in a series of murders. Quinn McIntyre, the homicide detective assigned to the investigation, finds himself attracted to Lucy despite her lies and his suspicions.

Despite the indications in the blurb, Sex, Lies and Online Dating leans more toward contemporary romance than romantic suspense. The premise of a female serial killer targeting men she meets on the Internet has potential, but is ultimately underdeveloped with a limited suspect pool, insufficient clues and a less than comprehensible motive.

Another thing that does stand out, and not in a good way, is the excessive use of brands such as BMW, Ralph Lauren and Starbucks not to mention the abundance of references to popular culture like Maroon 5 and Cold Case Files. This adds little to the setting or atmosphere and actually dates the book unnecessarily.

Nevertheless, Lucy and Quinn’s romance is engaging and they have great chemistry. The build up of their relationship and the conflicts that inevitably arise make this a worthwhile read.

The secondary cast is comprised of Lucy’s quirky writer friends who are interesting enough to continue with the series. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |
I was hoping for something more like chick-lit and less like a full blown romance novel. I'm not that fond of explicit sex talk, so ultimately this ended up not being my kind of thing. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Apr 18, 2016 |
I listened to an audiobook of this title. It was predictable in the extreme. As soon as I knew there was a serial killer, I knew exactly who the serial killer was. The roller-coaster relationship between Quinn and Lucy was banal and had me rolling my eyes more than once. I can't keep my hands off him, he's broken my heart, I can't keep my hands off him, he's broken my heart. . . I'm sure I would not have made it half way through this book in print. As an audiobook that I listened to with half an ear while multitasking, however, it was not entirely devoid of entertainment value, mostly due to a decent narrator and some steamy scenes when the protagonist was not whining about being heartbroken. ( )
  JMlibrarian | Apr 10, 2016 |

Rachel Gibsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Althans, Antjesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gool, Frances vansecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060772913, Mass Market Paperback)

She explained the trouble with Valentine's Day (as if you didn't know!) Now Rachel Gibson tells all about . . .

Sex . . .

What is it about men anyway? Bad cars, bad jobs, even bad teeth—nothing convinces them that they can't snare a Size Two Babe with a D-cup chest. And after way too many internet dates with men named "luvstick" and "bigdaddy182," Lucy Rothschild should know.

Lies . . .

But sitting across from her now is "hardluvnman," and he seems different—sensitive, honest, and hot! He says he's a plumber, while Lucy claims she's a nurse! She's really a mystery writer, dating online while researching her next book. Hey, everyone lies a little, don't they?

And Online Dating . . .

But Quinn's really an undercover cop hunting down a serial killer, and he sees Lucy as his top suspect. And while he could really go for this smart, sexy woman with the killer bod—if that's the only thing "killer" about her—he knows he needs to wine and dine her and discover the truth. Hey, he realizes the dating scene can be deadly—but this is ridiculous!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:45 -0400)

An undercover cop hunting for a serial killer realizes the online dating scene can be deadly when his date becomes his top suspect.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,161,598 books! | Top bar: Always visible