Beatrix Potter: A Life in Nature by Linda…

Beatrix Potter: A Life in Nature (edition 2007)

by Linda Lear

Member:kukulaj
Title:Beatrix Potter: A Life in Nature
Authors:Linda Lear
Info:St. Martin's Press (2007), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 608 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

Beatrix Potter: The Extraordinary Life of a Victorian Genius by Linda Lear

When this book was chosen by my book group I was not enthusiastic, as I thought it would be all about Beatrix Potter's creation of Peter Rabbit. That is certainly part of the content but I had no idea until I read this that Potter was involved in so many areas: not only a children's author and illustrator, she also produced ground-breaking research in the field of mycology (fungi) which was only properly appreciated many years later, she was a well-respected, self-taught expert on Lake District sheep and she also was instrumental in setting up the National Trust and was one of their early and vital donors.

This is a fascinating account of a Victorian female polymath, which I thoroughly enjoyed. ( )
  Cinnamon_Heart | Apr 20, 2016 |
the great and thorough research undertaken for the writing of this book really serves to give readers a better, more complete picture of beatrix potter. i deducted a star because lear's prose does not flow terribly well and can be repetitive and, early on, a bit of a yawn-fest. luckily that particular kink gets worked out by the author. i have long admired potter but had not really read such comprehensive information about her in the past. her life really was remarkable, not only because of her fame and achievement as a writer of children's books, but for her intellect, artistic talents and respect for nature. as well, her feistiness and determination makes her even that much more admirable!! ( )
  Booktrovert | Apr 6, 2013 |
Really well-researched and, moreover, well-written. Not an everyday combination in biographies. ( )
  cat-ballou | Apr 2, 2013 |
Absolutely fascinating. I never realized what an interesting person Beatrix Potter was. She is so much more than the author of "bunny books." The detail Lear gives about the process that went into the creation and publication of Potter's books gives me real insight into the publishing world of children's lit even though it occurred over 100 years ago. I am also amazed at the revelation that Potter was an entrepreneur. She was always thinking of merchandise to go along with her books. ( )
  bridgetrwilson | Mar 27, 2013 |
I read about half of this 450+ page biography. Way too much detail - would have benefitted greatly from good, professional editing. If it had been about 2/3's shorter and told in an interesting narrative, it could have been a good read. However, I found myself slogging through more details about each book and each drawing that was essentially the same as the last no telling how many I had already read. And, there was very little information about Beatrix, her personality, her interactions - except that she enjoyed gardens and drawing and animals, which was frequently repeated. ( )
  Jonlyn | Jan 21, 2013 |

Peter Rabbit, Mr. McGregor, and many other Beatrix Potter characters remain in the hearts of millions. However, though Potter is a household name around the world, few know the woman behind the illustrations. Her personal life, including a romantic relationship with her publisher, Norman Warne, and her significant achievements outside of children's literature remain largely unknown. In Linda Lear's enchanting new biography, we get the life story of this incredible, funny, and independent woman. As one of the first female naturalists in the world, Potter brought the beauty and importance of nature back into the imagination at a time when plunder was more popular than preservation. Through her art she sought to encourage conservation and change the world. With never before seen illustrations and intimate detail, Lear goes beyond our perrenial fascination with Potter as a writer and illustrator of children's books, and delves deeply into the life of a most unusual and gifted woman--one whose art was timeless, and whose generosity left an indelible imprint on the countryside.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:33 -0400)

Details the life of the children's author and illustrator who created such memorable characters as Peter Rabbit, Jemima Puddle-Duck, and Tom Kitten.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,806,295 books! | Top bar: Always visible