Silent Melody by Mary Balogh

4.5 "There is More to Love Than Just Words" Stars for the story and the narration!

What a unique story line! This little gem of a historical romance grabbed my attention from the very beginning and kept me enthralled throughout the entire story. Moreover, in addition, to a touching romance and the empathetic handling and portrayal of a disabled heroine as a capable and loving woman which genuinely tugged at my heartstrings, Mary Balogh also manages to infuse an interesting and intriguing suspenseful arc into this already stellar romance. Moreover, this is a great title to pick up in audiobook format as Rosalyn Landor's experienced and well-done narration further enhances the magic of this story.

First off, for those that are wondering if this book can be read as a standalone, yes it can. Although this is book 2 in the Georgian series, and the hero and heroine are the siblings of the main characters from book 1, Heartless, the romance is fully contained in this book and I had no trouble following the background without having read or listened to Heartless.

Lady Emily Marlowe is death and mute. While many would think this fact devastating, Emily has actually led a pretty free and independent life as a result. Unconstrained by the typical customs of the day that prohibited women from running around with their hair down and otherwise being free to do what they wanted to do, Emily has spent many years running around her
sister's estate and painting. Interestingly, the one person who never viewed her as limited and always understood her better than anyone else was Lord Ashley Kendrick, the younger brother of Lucas Kendrick, Duke of Harndon, who married Emily's sister.

But Emily's romantic fantasies are shattered when Ashley decides to leave for India to build his own wealth. After a while of being gone Emily's hope for a future with Ashley is further dashed when she finds out that he has married another woman. It is amongst this backdrop that seven years after he left, Emily is finally ready to try to find a husband. She quickly finds herself with suitors, bearing their own unique reasons for wanting to pursue and deaf and mute woman, when Ashley returns to the vast surprise of his family and carrying a number of closely held secrets. Will his reappearance dash her family's well orchestrated efforts to find Emily a husband, or will Ashley's secrets render possible a HEA that could rival Emily's childhood dreams?

The experienced and well-known historical romance narrator, Rosalyn Landor, performs an above average narration in Silent Melody. Ms. Landor is a pro and she always manages to create easily distinguishable voices for each on of the cast members making it easy to sit back and enjoy the listen. In Silent Melody I was particularly impressed with Ms. Landor's depiction of Emily. Managing to sound just like a deaf person learning to talk for the first time, Ms. Landor brought a an extra sense of authenticity to this inspiring tale.

All in all, Silent Melody is a creative and inspiring tale with a rock solid narration, making this a must listen audiobook for the historical romance enthusiast.

Source: Review copy provided in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  B.J.O. | Jul 30, 2016 |
I liked this book, but I didn't love it. I just had a really hard time staying interested in it.
  GanneC | Jan 28, 2016 |
Mary Balogh's back catalog is now becoming ebooks and that's both a good thing and a bad thing. It's good because I love her books, but it's bad because some of the older books are not the quality of writing I usually get from her.
The premise of this story is fine. Emmy is deaf-mute from a childhood illness. Ash is the brother of Emmy's brother-in-law, Luke. As the brother of a Duke, Ash wants to make his own way and joins the East India Company and goes to India to make his fortune, leaving a heartbroken Emmy behind.
Seven years later Ash returns just as Emmy is ready to move on with her life. Ash has dark secrets, but he has never forgotten his attraction to little Emmy. He finds the grown-up Emmy dangerously alluring, but he feels he has too much baggage to act on that desire.
The language here was a bit overblown and the plot was not very believable. But the characters are engaging and made me want to read more. Emmy is a strong woman and intriguing in the manner in which she rised above both the handicap of deafness and of being a woman in that period of England. Ash's character is a bit more muddled. It takes him longer to grown up, but he becomes a fine man and a good match to Emmy.
I'd say this book is a strong 3 1/2 stars. ( )
  N.W.Moors | Nov 2, 2015 |
I have very mixed feelings about this book. I thought the hero was a selfish bastard although I did understand why the heroine was attracted to him. I appreciated the heroine's struggle to be true to the uniqueness of her world as a deaf person but her desire to fit in so that she could get married and start her own family. So I ended up reading the bits I liked and skipping those that featured the hero at his worst. It's a good read if you are willing to handle a hero that is very unattractive at times. ( )
  mlorio | Aug 26, 2015 |
An awful lot of people to keep track of the in beginning, but they were all part of the later story. Early regency England. Emily is deaf, but can read lips well. After her childhood love, Ashley, moves to India and marries, she's determined to learn how to be a proper lady and marry. Then Ashley returns to England, a broken widowed man. Ashley is the only one who really understood her spirit and could communicate with her, despite her inability to speak. They each believe they are wrong for each other, but the various members of the families keep coming up with ways to keep shoving them together until they realize that they really belong together. ( )
  nancynova | Jun 22, 2014 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0425158624, Mass Market Paperback)

Once again Mary Balogh has written a poignant romance that will be long remembered for its originality and great beauty. In this unusual story, Lady Emily has been deaf and mute since early childhood. She has been cared for and is well loved by a family who nurtures her independence and doesn't make her feel inadequate because of her disability. Because Emmy's sister and brother-in-law want her to experience life to its fullest, they assist her in finding a good marriage partner. But Emmy wants to marry for love; she doesn't want to be a beautiful silent partner to a man who doesn't care to know who she really is. Unfortunately, the man Emmy loves married another woman long ago. When Ashley arrives from India after eight years as a widow, Emmy finds she loves him too much to accept his proposal. She wants him to marry her for love--not because he feels a sense of responsibility for her.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:03 -0400)

Retired D.C. homicide detective Eddie Nickles is offered a lot of money to find the street person who may be responsible for a double murder, but what he finds is a tangled web of international intrigue.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,632,463 books! | Top bar: Always visible